Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Android based media player/streamer?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Android based media player/streamer?
« on: May 05, 2012, 04:41:11 AM »
I'm looking for a device to hook up to my stereo to stream music from my desktop, and also play internet radio, as well as download podcasts.

Any idea if such a device exists. I'd prefer it to be in some sort of case larger than a phone with a touchscreen.

Basically I'm looking for something similar to my phone, in a box that is powered by AC.

I haven't found anything. I might just have to end up getting a stand for my old phone an keeping it connected to my stereo.

I did find this, but I don't really need speakers, and I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere:

http://www.bonux.com.tw/bx1.html
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
Re: Android based media player/streamer?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
I would recomend the acer iconia 7" android tablet.  My only complaint with it is its battery life (compaired to the galaxy tablets) but thay shouldnt be an issue for you witg AC.   
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
I'm a little confused about what want to do.  I'm not certain, but it sounds like you want to use your PC as the playback device, and have some way of connecting your PC to your stereo and controlling playback.  Is that right?

I have a Squeezebox (SB, can't remember if it's original or v2) connected to my stereo with the Logitech Media Server (LMS) software installed on my PC.  The SB is connected to my stereo via S/PDIF out (could also use analog-out) and uses wifi to connect to my PC / LMS and play back internet radio and my PC-based music collection.  The SB also supports playing podcasts, but that's not a feature into which I've delved yet.  I use my Android phone + the SB app to control it, which I find a much better user experience than the original remote.

Looks like the SB has been replaced by the SB Touch, which doesn't require a remote since it has a touch screen (though I'm sure you could still use a remote and/or Android phone app).  Depending on your preferences and budget, you could try either a used SB, or the new Touch.

The Acer Iconia 7" sounds like an intriguing idea, but I would be wary of the quality of the (presumably analog) connection between the tablet and the stereo.  (Likewise for your old phone.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Basically looking for a Sqeezebox, but something that runs on Android so I can run the Apps I want and it's easily updatable.

My phone works fine. I think a cheap tablet might work okay, but I'd prefer something in a box with a more traditional power button and can live with my stereo. It's a PITA to hook my phone up to it. My phone does everything I want it to do, which is why I'm looking to go the Android route. It will be nice that if some new fangled app that plays music comes along, I can update the unit instead of being stuck with whatever it comes with (which I think might be an issue with the Squeezebox). Ideally I'd like something with the form factor of a traditional stereo box...but I'd settle for a Squeezebox shaped item.

If I can't find anything soon...I'll probably just go with the Squeezebox. (this: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/squeezebox-radio-black)

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:57:19 AM »
i spent a few weeks getting streaming working over wifi to a galaxy S1 phone. every time the router hiccuped so did that audio, so i scratched that approach.

wound up connecting my backup 1TB usb hard drive to the phone and it works great. ICS has built in usb host capablility, otherwise you need custom rom.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:41 AM »
I have a Raspberry Pi coming to me - I figure I'm going to give it a shot at running some sort of media server off it using a Linux flavor.  But, I'll let the others work out the details and then just follow the instructions...  :P
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »
Yeah. The Raspberry Pi (if I ever get it) will be serving the media.

My search for this has turned up pretty much nothing. I'll probably start using my phone, or a cheap tablet. Hopefully something is in the works.

Seems like the perfect platform to make something like this.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
Check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2  - GT P3113 7'' tablet.  It just came out 3 weeks ago. 

Dual 1Gz TI OMAP processor,  Runs ICS.  8 GB native, expandable to 32gb via microsd.  Full Google Play.   $249.99 at CompUSA, Best Buy and Office Depot.  Its been getting great reviews.  Samsung is aiming this directly at the Kindle.   

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR-features
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:46:13 AM by spyder9 »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
Yeah. The Raspberry Pi (if I ever get it) will be serving the media.

My search for this has turned up pretty much nothing. I'll probably start using my phone, or a cheap tablet. Hopefully something is in the works.

Seems like the perfect platform to make something like this.

I got an email last week with an update on shipping - they are saying end of June.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »
Same for me. June 26th shipping date. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Ordered a case for it too.

Don't think making a media server out of it will be too hard.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
Sweet thread :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
I got my pi and have debian on it right now! I haven't attempted to play music through it and since I don't have an android phone, not sure how you would get that to work.
I wouldn't recommend a tablet for this or a laptop as that would be a waste of money when the pi COULD work. I may try out XMBC with a TV as a way to watch shows from usenet:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi

Another possible solution: http://www.plexapp.com/
I have this installed on my desktop and the app on the roku. I put movies/music on the desktop and tell the app (via web browser) where the files are and it will appear on the roku. Good for video files the roku can't play but bad for audio since I believe it plays mp3 only.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
I think the 1/8" jack on my tablet sounds good enough. However,  it just got the ics update.  I read that you can use the hdmi output for digital audio streaming to a dac or hdmi receiver. I also see some hdmi to optical converters on ebay for relatively cheap... 

Do any usb soundcards/dacs work on androids with ics?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com