Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any thoughts on wireless media players?  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Any thoughts on wireless media players?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 09:19:28 PM »
I did what you delineated in this link, and it works nicely. Very easy to set up +T

Not sure when you did it, but...if you used Argentum Backup...WARNING:  Argentum stinks, re-read the updated thread.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:06:06 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 01:15:33 AM »
question about the squeezebox.  is it something I would want to look at to simply play iTunes library wirelessly on my computer?  or is it overkill for that?  i have seen the airport based stuff for iTunes and it looks pretty simple.  I desperately am looking for a way to wirelessly stream iTunes around the house :)

The squeezebox is really slick...

but $79.99 for a refurb Airport Express from Apple has given me everything I need for now.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 09:07:12 AM »
I'm going to jump firmly into the Squeezebox camp here, having recently gotten one - this thing is fantastically well thought out.
Trivial setup, loads of little usability details (like the instant font adjustment on the remote).
Then being able to casually browse the entire archive.org live music collection (incl. GD) via remote in yer living room? 'nuff said!

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »
Oh yeah, I love the sirius plugin for the squeezebox as well.  I can stream sirius content directly to the box, so no need to have additional sirius receiver.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
I did what you delineated in this link, and it works nicely. Very easy to set up +T

Not sure when you did it, but...if you used Argentum Backup...WARNING:  re-read the updates I've made to the thread today.

nope, just made a bat file and set up scheduler to run it every night.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
Gee, I just noticed that with the aid of the CustomScan and CustomBrowse plugins, you can view a show's source info right on the squeezebox using the remote via the Now Playing right click menu! Now that's slick! ;D
Can browse by source too, which is kinda fun..

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 01:56:27 AM »
how did I not know about this till now?!?   :o :o  looks really nice!!  only thing I don't like is no 96k support.   been thinking of a way to play all my masters and mp3s on my stereo via the hardrives.  the pc and hdds are in the office and the stereo is in the den.  was thinking about getting a interface for my laptop but then the harddrives would have to also be moved to the den and the laptop would have to sit right beside the stereo or have some long ass cables.

anything else like the Squeezebox?? 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »
how did I not know about this till now?!?   :o :o  looks really nice!!  only thing I don't like is no 96k support.

Not sure if you saw it but 96k is supported by on the fly resampling to 48k.  Not ideal but much better than no support.

I don't think the alternatives are worth much consideration. The squeezeboxes hold their value very well on the used market (check ebay).  The open source model has worked Really well for slim devices and the product just keeps getting better and better.

The sonos is a Much more expensive alternative and it is a closed platform. Roku is a knockoff that tried to be a little cheaper by using the slim devices software but not contributing back any development or improvements.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »
For he features and sound quality, the Squeezebox is VERY tough to beat. I looked at quite a few others wireless media players, but none had the features I wanted except the SB3.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.219 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com