Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D50  (Read 5314 times)

Offline soundsvisual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony D50
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:03:42 AM »
Does anyone know of anyone in UK or elsewhere for that matter who might be able to repair my beloved Sony D50?
Thanks

J

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony D50
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
What's wrong with it?

It seems lots of D50 have had problems from various posts i have seen online.

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
Sony not working on them anymore? I had mine go down after 2 years and they repaired it fine. Costly, though...

Offline soundsvisual

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »
No Sony not repairing them any more.
1 dealer will look at it but want a lot of money to estimate it first.

Meters move but it doesn't record anything.
Was a great backup recorder.

J

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
The repair I got from Sony was expensive, too. But the unit has lasted 5 years or so since & is still going strong. So, I'd say look into the repair shops success rate and whether the offer a warranty on the work. I have been halfway expecting mine to fail again, so I bought a used m10. It has some things I like better than the d50, but some things less. If you don't mind doing so, please post the name and location of the repair shop and what you decide to do, and if you do get it repaired, let us know how that goes. I ask since I googled and didn't find ANYONE on line listing themselves as repairing them...

At any rate, best wishes for 2018

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »

Meters move but it doesn't record anything.

I assume you tried a different memory card as well as a re-format of the internal memory.

Here's a reset procedure for the D50 I once found online (but I've never used it):

You can reset the device by entering TEST/SERVICE mode. With the device off, turn the LIMITER switch to the off position. Turn on the device, hold A-B and DIVIDE while turning the LIMITER switch to the on position then release. Use FF or FR to scroll through the menu to Key Chk + Format. It'll ask for you to enter 18 key presses. Press FF,FR,MENU,LIGHT,STOP,PLAY,DIVIDE,REC,PAUSE,DISPLAY,A-B,DPC,HOLD,LCF,LIMITER,INPUT,MIC ATT, MIC L+R POSITION, and lastly turn the power off and on.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
So my D50 acted up for the first time this past weekend. The optical signal would not connect to the recorder. I tried two different cables from the V3...one new. The V3 had levels, and a saw the red light in both cables I Tried....  Is there a way to clean the optical jack?
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
  Is there a way to clean the optical jack?
A can of compressed air?
Rubbing alcohol on a lint-free swab or bit of cloth?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »
A can of compressed air?

I tried the air. I wasn't sure about the alcohol (91%)...I will give that a try. Thanks!
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 04:20:05 AM »
A can of compressed air?

I tried the air. I wasn't sure about the alcohol (91%)...I will give that a try. Thanks!

Try to avoid dripping liquid alcohol into the unit. Just get the swab damp but not dripping and insert gently and spin if you can, or just insert and remove it a few times.

If you can't find a better option, you could probably pull the fuzz off a paper-stick cotton swab and soak the end of the stick for a few seconds. That's a bit smaller than a 3.5 mm plug.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 04:36:50 PM »
Resurrecting a long dead thread -

Came across a mint D50 in the box (wall plug, case, not a scratch on it, etc) however it won't turn on.  After reading up on the web that this is/was a longtime problem and Sony doesn't fix them anymore,  have to ask if I should just let it be or is there a way to fix them?
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 05:58:32 PM »
Resurrecting a long dead thread -

Came across a mint D50 in the box (wall plug, case, not a scratch on it, etc) however it won't turn on.  After reading up on the web that this is/was a longtime problem and Sony doesn't fix them anymore,  have to ask if I should just let it be or is there a way to fix them?

I got one on Ebay recently...so far so good.

Good luck on yours.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com