Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-100 with XLR, 8 channels  (Read 27128 times)

Offline dangulberry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Olympus LS-100 with XLR, 8 channels
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
Hi John, Yes, I posted a similar thing on soundonsound forums.
Good that you got a reply from Olympus. I'm sure they could iron out the monitoring issues.
BUT after using the unit to record mic'd instruments yesterday, I came across quite a few more problems:

The first is minor, and related to the direct monitoring issue. When you record in MTR mode, you can select 1-trk recording or 2-trck. In 1-trk mode, the signal is panned hard left. This can't be altered (until of course you're in playback mode; there you can pan, mute, solo,  and change levels). I assume that if they manage to implement direct monitoring, the pan issue would be fixed as well.

The second is that in MTR mode there is no PAUSE function. Only STOP, which resets the counter. This results in unnecessary navigating. Makes overdubbing tedious.

The third: on several occasions, the unit froze while only one or two seconds into a recording. Hard reset was possible, which fixed the issue temporarily.

Additionally, I would have to reset the unit in order to hear what I'd recorded. Specifically this was in MTR mode, and I was attempting to overdub a piano over a drum track. Just could not hear the drum track, so I instead had to press play then 'punch in' record for the piano. It worked. Maybe this was just due to my lack of knowledge of all the functions, however; perhaps I was doing something wrong.

It's good that Olympus are responsive to users. But really these problems are very basic and should've been identified and fixed before release. Instead Olympus use customers as testers. That's not on.

I think I will have to return the unit (I have only 20 days left to do so) and perhaps wait until these issues are resolved (that is, if they get resolved).

On the plus side, the preamps seem very good.

Such a shame, it could really be a great machine. As it is, though, the LS100 is just not ready for release. Sure, the normal 2track record mode works fine (as far as I can tell) but I think that since other units can record more inputs simulataneously (Roland r26, for example, which is much cheaper) it's an overpriced recorder.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:03:50 PM by dangulberry »

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
"Roland r26, for example, which is much cheaper"

Cheaper in Europe, perhaps.  In USA, the typical retail price for the LS-100 is $399, while the R-26 costs $499. 

The price of the Tascam DR100 Mk II, often compared with the previous two, has declined in recent days to $299.  The Zoom H4N costs about $275. 

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 02:43:56 AM »
Hi John, Yes, I posted a similar thing on soundonsound forums.
Good that you got a reply from Olympus. I'm sure they could iron out the monitoring issues.
BUT after using the unit to record mic'd instruments yesterday, I came across quite a few more problems:

The first is minor, and related to the direct monitoring issue. When you record in MTR mode, you can select 1-trk recording or 2-trck. In 1-trk mode, the signal is panned hard left. This can't be altered (until of course you're in playback mode; there you can pan, mute, solo,  and change levels). I assume that if they manage to implement direct monitoring, the pan issue would be fixed as well.

The second is that in MTR mode there is no PAUSE function. Only STOP, which resets the counter. This results in unnecessary navigating. Makes overdubbing tedious.

The third: on several occasions, the unit froze while only one or two seconds into a recording. Hard reset was possible, which fixed the issue temporarily.

Additionally, I would have to reset the unit in order to hear what I'd recorded. Specifically this was in MTR mode, and I was attempting to overdub a piano over a drum track. Just could not hear the drum track, so I instead had to press play then 'punch in' record for the piano. It worked. Maybe this was just due to my lack of knowledge of all the functions, however; perhaps I was doing something wrong.

It's good that Olympus are responsive to users. But really these problems are very basic and should've been identified and fixed before release. Instead Olympus use customers as testers. That's not on.

I think I will have to return the unit (I have only 20 days left to do so) and perhaps wait until these issues are resolved (that is, if they get resolved).

On the plus side, the preamps seem very good.

Such a shame, it could really be a great machine. As it is, though, the LS100 is just not ready for release. Sure, the normal 2track record mode works fine (as far as I can tell) but I think that since other units can record more inputs simulataneously (Roland r26, for example, which is much cheaper) it's an overpriced recorder.

I forwarded your comments to Olympus and got this reply:-

I appreciate this feedback very much.  I will feedback to Hamburg so the corrected Firmware can be looked at in Japan.

We take the user experience of our customers and I am concerned that they are experiencing difficulties.

So, be assured they are looking at it seriously.

John

Offline dangulberry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
Thanks John. I'm sure they take it seriously, that's their business after all. I got a reply also, with them saying that they could not find a delay in the recording modes. I had to explain again about direct monitoring. No further response yet. I do expect one, though. Maybe the machine will be ready for multitracking musicians very soon, but I will bow out for now, let them do their thing. I would've had no qualms about being a tester had I not paid for the privilege!

Still, I think it's potentially an excellent machine. It was really amazing to carry around that kind of power in my (quite large) pocket. I usually use laptops to multitrack, and this was definitely more fun.

Offline ausavim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:06:25 PM by ausavim »

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline TheSlade

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
I ordered one of these recorders, Olympus LS-100, and I'll try and share my thoughts with ya'll.

It should arrive Tuesday, probably going to be a learning curve for me, so it may take me some time to get a grip on it, so to speak.

I've really only used an old mp3 player with a built in voice recorder (until the hard-drive failed last year)

Remember, always back up as soon as you can!

:)

So I've been using the Olympus LS100 for about a month or so. And it's really simple for what it is.

First, the Olympus LS100 has excellent built-in-microphones and secondly, it looks cool for an XLR portable recorder.

1. It seems like it should have more features, internal memory is ~4gb, and I would prefer this space to be filled with features... Since, I plan to use my own SD card, as many others, it'd be helpful to use this internal memory for additional features than the bare-minimum (which it does well).

I would like to see some effects (ie. reverb, etc.)! The more, the better. I know a lot would rather work on the computer for effects, but some people choose to work differently. It'd be nice.
-As far as editing these effects, I don't know the logistics, but I would choose to resource the buttons to do new actions in a Effects edit screen (ie. length of delay, etc.)

Some other issues:

2. I wanted to erase a track in multi-track mode, yet the action 'erase' did nothing, I hope that a soon-to-be-released software update will allow you to click the 'erase' button and remove files in multitrack mode rather than using mute and wasting a track spot that could otherwise be used as one of the 8 tracks.

3. While a song was in playback in multi-track mode, I clicked the power button off, the song continued to play, but the power/Olympus screen appeared, it eventually turned off, after a minute or so... Not a major issue, just letting anyone know... I simply could've pressed stop on playback, then safely turned it off, but why? It should be able to turn off, unless, of course, a recording is in progress.

4. Although, I was able to drag files from my SD card while it was charging (through computer), shouldn't I be able to record, too? It didn't work while it was charging (by computer or wall) No features can work?

5. Also, it seems like you could shorten the charge time if the screen was put to sleep while charging... I haven't been able to figure it out.

And if I sound nit-picky, it's because I was trying to be.

It's an excellent recorder, but it can still be improved.

All these additions/fixes would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm mostly using the recorder for song ideas/demos at home.

(^_^)

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
On the Nature Recordists list, a fellow named Simon Bennett ran a test to see how long the LS-100 would record while providing phantom power to mics, and running from a small external battery pack.  The result was just short of 15 hours. 
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/47173

Here's a link to Amazon.com for the battery pack Simon used.  This Li-Ion battery is rated at 5000 mAh at 3.7V.
http://www.amazon.com/adiVolt-5000mah-Replacement-Ericsson-Blackberry/dp/B006LX9MMW/
Price $26,  shipping within USA included
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:09:35 PM by flintstone »

Offline slyasafox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 06:31:24 PM »
Hi all - I'm brand new here and have read so much that I'm completely overwhelmed and need some help! I'm pretty new to recording and all I record are live concerts. I've been using the Blue Mikey up to this point which has very little adjustment - it either works and I got the concert or it was a total failure.  I decided to invest in a 'real' recorder and purchased the LS-100 on eBay but there was a mix up in the delivery so my local music equipment store sold me a Zoom H4n to record the concert that I organized telling me to try it and that I could return it.  Now I have the option of returning either one.  The concert I recorded with the Zoom, I was able to use the 4 channel and plug into the mixer which was nice, however, I ran out of disk space which was a drag. If I keep that one, I know I need to change that.  I read the article that compared the 3 recorders and I'm still baffled.  Is being able to do 4 channels worth keeping the Zoom if I have the ability to record like I did on Saturday?

The other question I have is, the person that sold me the Zoom didn't suggest external mics.  I had planned on buying a clip on mic - someone that I know who records a lot of shows uses one but I don't know what kind.  I know that most people here recommend them and I read a lot of suggestions but again, I'm still baffled.  Can anyone weigh in on which recorder I should keep for live music and which microphone would be best to go with it?  I did the show on Sat. with just the microphones in the Zoom but because I was with the artist, the recorder was on the stage - so it was a bit different than a regular concert I would be going to with crowd noise around me.

I really appreciate your help!!

Thanks

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »
buying a 400 Dollar recorder and keeping the blue mikey is definitely the wrong way.

Get some good small mics and Battery box and the results would be better on a 50 Dollar Zoom recorder then with bluemikey on the Oly...
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline slyasafox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
Oh no, you misunderstood...I'm trying to decide which of the Olympus or the Zoom H4n to keep.  The blue mikey I used to use with my iPod Touch and I will probably use it as a back up just in case.

sorry that I wasn't clear.

Any suggestion for what microphone and which of the Oly or the Zoom?

Thanks

Offline ausavim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »
Firmware V 1.10 now available:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_product.asp?id=1581

LS100_FWUPDATE_v110.exe: This firmware updates the following.
1. Improves the latency of the Record Monitor.
2. Adds the capability that allows the recorder to start recording and playing back
simultaneously when the REC or PLAY button is pressed during Recording pause while
in the Multi-Track mode.
3. Adds the capability to pause playback in Multi-Track mode.
4. Fixes the problem with the recorder displaying the wrong remaining time when it
continues recording for a period of time.
5. Fixes the Solo function issue: You may now set it properly in Multi-Track mode.
6. Fixes the problem with the recorder saving an incorrect "create date and time" when a
64GB SDXC card is used.
7. Adds the capability to start recording by pressing once on the REC button on the remote
controller when used.
8. Changes the setting to not turn off the LCD when the recorder runs in Metronome mode,
Tuner mode, Lissajous mode, Menu mode, or when it is connected to PC.
9. Improves stability of the recorder.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
In case you have an Olympus LS-100, you may want to update its firmware to V1.20. This isn't a new firmware release, but Olympus America doesn't offer it -- they're just up to V1.11, and the fact that the V1.20 update isn't there is quite telling. Anyhow, the V1.2 release can be downloaded and installed from Olympus Europe: http://www.olympus-europa.com/site/en/a/audio_support/audio_support_downloads/ls_1/ls_100_downloads.html

What's new?
* Rec monitor sound will come through both R and L channel while recording in the Multi-track mode.
* Erasing a track file with the delete button has become available in the Multi-track screen.
* Displays the file length of a overdubbed file instead of remaining time in the Overdub or Play Sync mode.
* The starting point of a new recording is synchronized with a metronome beat in the Multi-truck mode.
* "File divide" has become available while recording in the Recorder mode.
* Added three options in the metronome beat setting menu.
* Added two options in the metronome sound setting.
* Rec level for the built-in microphone is automatically set to an optimal level in the Tuner and Lissajous mode.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com