Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zaxcom Maxx  (Read 10524 times)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Zaxcom Maxx
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
Zaxcom is introducing a new portable four channel recorder.  Base price is expected to be $2200.  Delivery to start next March or thereabouts.
http://www.zaxcom.com/maxx

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Zaxcom Maxx
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
Interesting. The RF option looks like something we could use when the sbd is inconveniently located, no snake channels available etc. If I'm reading things correctly, you have to do an on the fly mix no matter what, although you can still have the 4 channels prefade. Minor PITA, but it's easy enough to delete a file. Thanks for the heads up!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »
looks real nice and at 2200 it will be a major contender against SD744.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
Interesting. The RF option looks like something we could use when the sbd is inconveniently located, no snake channels available etc. If I'm reading things correctly, you have to do an on the fly mix no matter what, although you can still have the 4 channels prefade. Minor PITA, but it's easy enough to delete a file. Thanks for the heads up!

I read it as it's a mixer first and a recorder second.

I suspect the $2200 price is without the 4 track pre-fade recorder, and for that option I would bet it bumps it up to ~$3k.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Maxx Features / Options - preliminary pricing

Maxx - $2,195
Standard Features include
4 analog in - mic/line 48 V phantom power w/NeverClip™
2 balanced audio return from camera
2-channel mix bus - output on 2 x XLR and TA5 (aux out) / copies of each other
Mono & tape outputs
AES outputs - 4-channel direct out + stereo mix bus
2-channel stereo recording on CompactFlash (or SD card w/adapter)
Input effects - 2-channel notch filter / softknee compressor / delay /
high-pass filter
Full timecode reader / generator

AES input option - $395
4-channels of audio on 2 x AES inputs with sample rate conversion

Transmitter option - $1095 (requires the AES input option)
2-channel audio transmitter with timecode, broadcasts to any Zaxcom
ENG receiver - timecode requires a QRX100 w/QIFB as the receiver

6-Channel Recording option - $395
Records 4 pre-fader ISO inputs + 2-channel stereo bus

Visual timecode slate option - $100

Maxx to the max - $3,995
Maxx with all options purchased at time of original delivery

*Requires free driver loaded on the Maxx.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
NICE!  So for about $3K you get a recorder with a bit more functionality then the 744 -> Maybe SD will come out with some new products now or lower the cost of the 744

Maybe this will push the market lower overall - making the Aeta 4Minx affordable - yeah right  ::)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:50:44 PM »
Maxx Features / Options - preliminary pricing

Maxx - $2,195

excellent, that's better than I had anticipated.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
Hello,

I´m a bit confused about the 4 track recording, it says that records 2 channel to compact flash/SD, but does it records 4 independent signals onto 4 mono or 2 stereo files? or mixes the 4 inputs to a stereo file? Are you able to work in post with 4 mono recordings?
Does not the SD552 mixer does that, I mean, records up to 5 signals onto a stereo file? or am I misunderstanding something here?
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
If I'm reading the web page correctly, the $2200 base model records four inputs into a two channel mixdown.  For $400 more, you get the ability to record the four input channels individually, plus a two channel mix (six channels simultaneously).

Offline jn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »
With the option Maxx will record 4 iso tracks plus two mix tracks. Max also has the ability to mix 4 analog tracks plus 4 AES tracks - so essentially an 8 input mixer.

Offline Erick del Valle

• Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
Maxx - $2,195
2-channel stereo recording on CompactFlash

Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »
I was seriously considering pulling the plug on a nomad and then they announced this. I think this product will be a real game changer. It a much better value than a 744. And with the $400 6 channel option it really puts the nail in the 744's coffin. Not entirely of course as there are a lot of people out there that swear by sd devices. But from what i have read from a sound perspective the pre's and a-d section in the zaxcom products are every bit as good as the sd. So having said that i don't know why anyone considering a new pro 2 or 4 track recorder wouldn't pick a maxx over a 744 especially considering the price. Also i am i have been on Jw sound a lot lately(sound  for film website) and from what i gather the March date isn't hard. Glenn ( Main guy for zax, said it's possible the max might be out later this year). Although from what i understand they said the same thing about the nomad last year and it didn't become available till April. So you never know.
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »
... from what i have read from a sound perspective the pre's and a-d section in the zaxcom products are every bit as good as the sd.

I wouldn't say this.

Zax seem to be very good at ergonomics and digital technology, but their analogue technology does seem to lag way behind.

At the top, sound quality wise, is Nagra, AETA and Sonosax with SD coming in a step behind.  I would rate Zax at a few paces behind this in the analogue side.

Offline tamoio

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
The most appealing thing about this is that it might put some pressure on used SD prices.

Offline Erick del Valle

• Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:48:01 AM »
http://www.zaxcom.com/pr-oscarsnoms2008

???

That link is Zaxcom marketing (which they are very good at) - it says nothing about the quality of the recorder at all.

Sound Oscars go to superb recording engineers, and superb engineers can make great sound with anything they are given.

I did say that Zaxcom have great ergonomics and this may be more important to a film recordist than overall sound quality, especially as much sound in modern films is done in post with less location sound being used in the final film.

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »
Good for dialog. These are setup for film dialog recoding, and Maxx contains a 2 channel transmitter for wireless camera hop.
Zaxcom uses there own proprietary recording format MARF. Mobile Audio Recording Format, and then the recorder makes another file ... or you on computer with Zaxconvert software.. make BWF files to the sample and bit rate you want.
Zaxcom won't tell you what MARF is....we all think it's 32k sample rate, unknown bit depth, as the bandwidth goes to 16k.  Good thing about MARF. If you loose power the file is there up until the time of power lose.
Feel free to chime in here.....I have only owned one Zaxcom product.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
32khz? That's not so great - which recorder did you own?
LMA Recordings

List

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »
Great for dialog.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
we`ll i finally picked up a maxx. i am really happy with it. i wasn`t happy with the 5 month delay in the products release, nor was i happy that they wouldn`t honor the pre sale pricing for those that waited 9 month`s for the release. but i will tell you the pre`s sound as musical and clean as any i`ve used. The main reason i grabbed it though was because of the ability to chain the inputs gains to one fader for use with my soundfield. Overall for the money i think its the best pro 4 track field recorder under 4k.
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline bt2002

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Hi

I have been playing with a Maxx.  Please note that I am not a pro sound person or audio engineer.  I do work with sound in my work.  For perspective I also use an RME Fireface 800, SD (Sound Devices) 702, Zoom H4N, and some other small recorders of various vintages.

The attraction to purchase the Maxx after already being a happy SD owner was needing to record four ISO channels with budget concerns.  The Neverclip was appealing also.  Another great feature is the screen that shows timecode.  I imagined on a multi-camera shoot I could place the Maxx where the cameras could shoot it at any time and that would help sync in post.  I have not yet experimented with these features.  I have read on forums that Neverclip works only with hard wired mics, not wireless.  This makes perfect sense but did not occur to me when I imagined Neverclip.  Neverclip, by the way, is a patented way of recording using two AD converters to get extended dynamic range such that clipping is not possible.  The timecode screen gives frame accurate info but of course audio is sliced much finer.

I have been playing with it and I find it very complex and feature laden.  At the same time it is well thought out and executed.  This is not a machine you can just pick up and press record and expect it to take care of you.  Maxx is designed for professionals and I believe if you are willing to put in the time  it will reward you with versatility that is hard to match at anywhere near the price.  Build quality feels similar to SD to me. Zaxcom has been extremely responsive to users.  I have contacted them twice and got almost instant responses from very informed people that solved the issues.  fixes and updates have been coming out constantly chasing down small obscure bugs and feature requests.

One issue to note.  The original specs listed audio range of 20Hz - 20kHz.  It turns out that in the world of recording voice for film and TV a HPF (high pass filter) to reduce mic handling noise is highly desirable and sounds down at frequencies below maybe even 70Hz are unwanted as they affect metering and limiting and such.  Maxx was introduced with an always on HPF at 50 Hz that rolls off frequencies steeply below that. Due to a clamor of customer comments this has already been changed to 28Hz as a running production change.  My unit has been accepted back for the change to be made at no charge.  Most purchasers will just keep the 50Hz units as that design is excellent for film and TV.  I record some music so I prefer the option of full range audio.  I should note that MAXX has excellent adjustable HPFs, the issue is just what part is always on.

In my testing the sound quality is just terrific.  Great pres.  But at this price you would expect that.  My bill came to about $3300 including the optional 4 channel recording, Pelican case, 2 sets of batteries, charger, optional power supply, tax and CF card.  I think the base price is about $2400.

I think Zaxcom has a BIG win with the MAXX.  Zaxcom is also following up the superb design with absolutely superb service.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 05:27:50 PM »
I stopped at the Zaxcom booth at the AES 135 Convention to see this recorder and it appears to have potential.  I'm satisfied with my current rig but I will not rule this one out just yet when I'm ready to jump to more channels.  They are now including the AES option with 4-channels of audio on 2xAES / AES42 inputs with sample rate conversion, it is no longer an additional cost option.  The NOLA rep from Pro Sound had high praise for their preamps and converters, all things considered he likes them better than Sound Devices.  Sound Devices and Zaxcom are both made in the USA.

Certainly this recorder was developed for voice capture in the film/video field.  Frequency response is now 28Hz to 22 kHz (48 kHz sampling-rate) starting with serial #10107 and above, prior to this filtered down for 50 HZ – 22 kHz to optimize voice capture as bt2002 referenced in the previous post. 

It's new this year but there are some Zaxcom Max recordings on LMA already.  Looking forward to hearing more from this device and any additional user feedback on this forum.

How they'll ultimately fare with real world music recording is yet to be proven, it may be worth renting one to try it out.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:52:26 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline H₂O

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
So for $3k you can get a new a Zaxcom Maxx or for $4.3k you can get a SD744t

Not a fan of the older 7xx pre amps so for me if I where looking for a top end 4 track recorder it's a no brainer (even with a used 744 at the current market rate under $2700)

I wonder when SD is going to retire the older 7xx series - they have been on the market for 8 and 1/2 years

They need a nice update to match the feature sets of the newer recorder's - I.e. AES-42, color touch screen, mixing, etc

I know the sell a lot of 788's but I can't see them selling too many of the rest except to the kool-aide drinkers

Personally I am not in the market as I love my hs-p82
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:34:10 PM by H₂O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
I agree Sound Devices is overdue for a product refresh of the 7xx series.

Perhaps their recent price increases across the board are being applied to R&D to that end as part of something like a 1% solution.  If not they could be pricing themselves out of the market.

They are not stagnant though, their recent 664 Production Mixer/Recorder, MixPre-D, USBPre2, and the 788 all demonstrate they are moving forward.

I am satisfied with my recording rig now but know that adding more channels would be the way to go down the road. Sound Devices has proven themselves to be a quality support oriented company, relying on kool aid drinkers however is not a competitive or sustainable strategy with some of the products that have been released now.

I had originally thought a 744 would be the path to go but even used at this point doesn't make sense. If they do a refresh the resale values on the then legacy units would most likely tank.  I'm not ready to make a recorder change yet, it's in the future just keeping abreast of the evolving market and exploring options.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:24:12 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com