Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 Damaging Mics?  (Read 5252 times)

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
PCM-M10 Damaging Mics?
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
In the past year I have had the left channel stop working on three separate sets of mics.

First time April, 2013:  Core Sound HEB DPA 4061s -> Core Sound battery box -> PCM-M10 (mic in - plug in power off)

Second time - May, 2013: Sound Professionals CMC-25 -> Sound Professionals battery box ->PCM-M10 (mic in - plug in power off)

Third time - Jan., 2014: Sound Professionals CMC-25 -> Church Audio CA-9100 -> PCM-M10 (line in)

The second time it happened i posted here and the general consensus was that it was just a freaky coincidence. Now that it has happened yet again and the only thing in common between the instances is the recorder, I am now wondering whether that can possibly be the problem? I record jazz shows exclusively which do not tend to be very loud, but in each of these instances I discovered the channel was blown in my preconcert test (away from the music) to make sure everything was connected properly.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
Re: PCM-M10 Damaging Mics?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »
Core Sound determined that there was a problem with the battery box the first time. The second time Sound Professionals simply sent me a replacement set since it was only weeks after I purchased them. I never learned what was the problem. I just mailed my mics back to Sound Professionals yesterday, so I have not yet learned what caused this most recent situation.

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »

You say the channels are "blown", but have any of the mic capsules been diagnosed with destroyed FETs (this is very rare)?  Or it is a matter of broken leads (very common)?

Could tapping on the mics cause this? I sometimes tap on them to make sure everything is working before I go into the venue.

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
I'd certainly doubt it was the tapping, or the recorder. Sounds like an equipment failure on the battery box the first time and the mics on the 2nd. Maybe the 3rd, too. A real string of bad luck for sure!! I have note d on some other gear that the wiring is often the problem, I think that copper is getting over "drawn" to stretch the length and cut cost. Just my 2cents. but I think that any kind of wire that is subject to any strain whatsoever should be provided with strain relief connectors, and/or shrink wrapped for most of the length.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:21:36 AM by mr qpl »

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:12 AM »
When I first got my M10, I had one channel that wouldn't work. Then I noticed that I needed to insert the plug into the M10's jack all the way. It looked like it was in all the way, but when I pushed on it, it went in another 1-2 mm and the channel came back.

Not saying that this is definitely your issue, but make sure to double check.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
When I first got my M10, I had one channel that wouldn't work. Then I noticed that I needed to insert the plug into the M10's jack all the way. It looked like it was in all the way, but when I pushed on it, it went in another 1-2 mm and the channel came back.

Not saying that this is definitely your issue, but make sure to double check.

I'd forgotten about that prospect since it seemed the mics were confirmed to have somehow failed... 

In the old days Sony's were known to have the mic sleeve fail.  It was usually more an intermittent or scratchy thing on the cameras than no sound at all though. 

Wiring is usually what I suspect.  If the mic makers say the mics themselves have failed that would be unusual. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
In the past year I have had the left channel stop working on three separate sets of mics.

Did you ever get any recordings with any of these mics where the left channel was present?

It could be that the connector is not entirely making contact there by defeating the left channel all together.
Have you tried and new mini plug cable.

It could be bad wiring.
can you record the left channel with the internal mics on the M-10?

have you tested the M-10 by sending any other line level signal into it, and confirming the left channel does indeed record?

does the left channel record but its distorted?  this could still be a cabling issue. or not at all?

good luck.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »

Did you ever get any recordings with any of these mics where the left channel was present? Yes. I recorded approximately 50 distinct performances with the mics before the left channel stopped working.

It could be that the connector is not entirely making contact there by defeating the left channel all together.
Have you tried and new mini plug cable. No, but I sent the mics back to Sound Professionals to get checked.

It could be bad wiring.
can you record the left channel with the internal mics on the M-10? Yes, and the next day I used my Core Sound HEB DPA 4061s -> battery box -> mic in with no problem.

have you tested the M-10 by sending any other line level signal into it, and confirming the left channel does indeed record? I have not checked the line in input yet.

does the left channel record but its distorted?  this could still be a cabling issue. or not at all? No, it did not record at all.

good luck. Thank you.
--Ian

Sound Professionals just received the mics yesterday. I am hoping for a diagnosis soon. In the interim, glad I have another set of mics to use for the shows I have coming this weekend.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 03:29:58 AM »

Did you ever get any recordings with any of these mics where the left channel was present? Yes. I recorded approximately 50 distinct performances with the mics before the left channel stopped working.

Have you tried and new mini plug cable. No, but I sent the mics back to Sound Professionals to get checked.

It could be bad wiring.
can you record the left channel with the internal mics on the M-10? Yes, and the next day I used my Core Sound HEB DPA 4061s -> battery box -> mic in with no problem.

have you tested the M-10 by sending any other line level signal into it, and confirming the left channel does indeed record? I have not checked the line in input yet.

does the left channel record but its distorted?  this could still be a cabling issue. or not at all? No, it did not record at all.

good luck. Thank you.
--Ian

Sound Professionals just received the mics yesterday. I am hoping for a diagnosis soon. In the interim, glad I have another set of mics to use for the shows I have coming this weekend.

If you are using the battery box, why not go into the line in?

Try line in with any source. Output from computer, FM , old walkman, phone and see if left channel works.

it's entirely possible there is something wrong with mic in left or  the jack, or it could be the mics or battery box.

Have you tried other plugs, or cables?

Try BB to line in , and also try other source and different cabling and plugs into line in.

There is no really likelihood that M-10 is damaging the mics, but there could be other failures involved.

--Ian

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
For what it is worth, I have not received a detailed explanation yet, but today I did get an email stating that the mic element was replaced. Any thoughts on how that could get damaged?

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:55:08 AM »
For what it is worth, I have not received a detailed explanation yet, but today I did get an email stating that the mic element was replaced. Any thoughts on how that could get damaged?
yeah
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vince-neil-and-nikki-sixx-explain-why-motley-crue-is-calling-it-quits-20140129
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com