Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 on it's own?  (Read 6267 times)

Offline dreyfuss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
R4 on it's own?
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:33:58 PM »
Ok I've recently bought an R4 (stock, regular, not the new "professional" one).  I also just ordered some AKG 481's that I will have next week.  So I've spent a fair amount of cash on upgrading my gear.  My question is will I be happy (for now) running the 481's straight into the R4?  My current rig is a stealth rig - AT831's ->sound pro's otterbox w/ built in pre-amp->gmini 402.  Before I was running the same mics->spsb->d8

Right now I cannot afford a V3, maybe one day but not right now.  I've been reading lots of stuff on pre-amps and the UA5 (although discontinued) seems to be quite popular as a "budget" pre-amp, lots of people seem to be quite happy with it.

While looking around the "recording gear" section I found this quote (regaurding a comparison between the R4 and the 744) "While the R4's pre/AD are definitely an improvement over the UA5, and pretty damn good"

So from this quote I get that the built in pre/ad is better than the UA5.  And as people seem quite happy with the UA5 I am guessing that yes, I will be happy with this set up.

Is anyone running a similar setup?

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks for the space.
Countryman ISOMAX 2 -> Tascam DR100

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: R4 on it's own?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »
Ok I've recently bought an R4 (stock, regular, not the new "professional" one).  I also just ordered some AKG 481's that I will have next week.  So I've spent a fair amount of cash on upgrading my gear.  My question is will I be happy (for now) running the 481's straight into the R4?  My current rig is a stealth rig - AT831's ->sound pro's otterbox w/ built in pre-amp->gmini 402.  Before I was running the same mics->spsb->d8

Right now I cannot afford a V3, maybe one day but not right now.  I've been reading lots of stuff on pre-amps and the UA5 (although discontinued) seems to be quite popular as a "budget" pre-amp, lots of people seem to be quite happy with it.

While looking around the "recording gear" section I found this quote (regaurding a comparison between the R4 and the 744) "While the R4's pre/AD are definitely an improvement over the UA5, and pretty damn good"

So from this quote I get that the built in pre/ad is better than the UA5.  And as people seem quite happy with the UA5 I am guessing that yes, I will be happy with this set up.

Is anyone running a similar setup?

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks for the space.

I've run a variety (!!!) of gear.

Now I'm running AKG 391/393 (well, CK91, 93 caps, with self-made batt. box) into an R4.

I've recorded one show with it and it seems pretty good.  Better than a stock UA5, not as nice as a modified UA5 (IMO).

I think it is great to start out with, then see about modding it.  *If* I get any ideas on how to mod it, I will present here for the DIY types.  Or send to Busman2 for mods if you're not DIY inclinded.

What I love about this unit is the ease of use.  A real treat after running laptops (four track) and NJB3 (two track) in the past.  One battery, one unit, one set of mics, optional soundbard.  You just plug in and hit record.  All files are logged with date.  Jog wheel to move through files.  I love this thing!!!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
I'm running ADK TL > R4 and I'm satisfied with it. I've made some nice tapes with it.

I wouldn't recommend putting a UA-5 in the mix unless you were looking at an oade or busman modified unit. I ran a digi-mod UA-5 before I got the R4 and IMO an digi-mod UA-5 would be a decrease in quality. There are a lot of good pre-amp options besides the V3. If you are willing to buy used there are a lot of nice options that are $300-500 less than a v3. Check out the lunatech v2, PSP2, Sonosax SX-M2, Sound Devices MixPre, and Apogee MiniMe.  If you want spend upwards of $1k you could consider the V3, neve portico, m148 or m248, etc...

IMO a lunatech V2 is a better match for the R4 than the V3 if you plan on running 4 channels pretty regularly, because when running 4 channels on the R-4 they must all be analog. SO when running 4 channel you'd have to run analog out on the v3. If you aren't going to be using the A/D of the V3 then it's really not worth the extra $300-400 you'd have to pay.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »
For about the first month or so I ran 480->wmod ua5->R-4 then ran 483->R-4 for the first time at SCI Flagstaff.  I was really happy with the result... Check out the following:
http://www.archive.org/details/SCI2006-06-29.akg483.flac16

Since then I have had my R-4 busman modded.  Have not got a chance to run it yet but am going to go record a local jam band in a few hours to do a comp between the mods I have.

Stay Kind,
Dana
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »
I'm running ADK TL > R4 and I'm satisfied with it. I've made some nice tapes with it.

"I wouldn't recommend putting a UA-5 in the mix unless you were looking at an oade or busman modified unit"

IMO a lunatech V2 is a better match for the R4 than the V3 if you plan on running 4 channels pretty regularly, because when running 4 channels on the R-4 they must all be analog. SO when running 4 channel you'd have to run analog out on the v3. If you aren't going to be using the A/D of the V3 then it's really not worth the extra $300-400 you'd have to pay.

Yeah I wasn't planning on using a UA-5, but I figured if people were happy with it and the R4 was an upgrade than I'd be happy with the R4, thanks for the info though

I also agree with what you said about the V2, I like the idea of being able to run all 4 channels should the opertunity arise, and not stuck with using just the digital channels.  Even if I get a V2 it'll probably be a while, for one they seem to be somewhat irregular in how often they are available, which is to be expected in a discontinued product, and 2, I've spent enough money for now.

Thanks

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 04:38:09 PM »
ran 483->R-4 for the first time at SCI Flagstaff.  I was really happy with the result... Check out the following:
http://www.archive.org/details/SCI2006-06-29.akg483.flac16

Sounds great to me, thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »
The only way to tell for sure if you're satisfied with your new gear is to...run it!  Use it a whole bunch and let your own ears decide for you.  :)

Better than a stock UA5, not as nice as a modified UA5 (IMO).

I share Richard's take above.  I preferred both my warm and transparent-PLUS modded UA5s, but...they were only 2-ch.  The R-4s ability to run 4-ch made the decision easy for me.  And it's not like the R-4 sucks...it's awfully good sounding stock.  IMO, the R-4 - like the UA5 - offers incredible value (i.e. performance / price).  One must spend a good chunk more cash to rival its feature set with better sound.

I've not recorded nor listened enough to the transparent mod on two of my channels to decide how they sound relative to stock.  All in good time...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »
Agreed... I'm happy enough not to run the wmod ua-5 with my AKGs in front of the R-4.  Leaving in a few hours to test the diferent busman mods to my unit.  Idealy i'll run 1 chan in each mode for each set for easy compare.  But the local bands I am recording would much prefer me to only switch the mods between bands/sets.  I think that is the way I will have to go.  The non jam band and rockablilly and steppenwolf type don't get recorded to much and don't want the different channels recorded on different mods.  It willl be interesting to see how it goes... A year ago this was a failing sports bar that turned into a biker bar that has great local music.  Have not been in since.  Should be fun.  Also will be the first time out with the TLs vs the 480s.

Dana
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 05:52:25 PM by china_rider »

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:56:06 PM »
Agreed... I'm happy enough not to run the wmod ua-5 with my AKGs in front of the R-4.  Leaving in a few hours to test the diferent busman mods to my unit.  Idealy i'll run 1 chan in each mode for each set for easy compare.  But the local bands I am recording would much prefer me to only switch the mods between bands/sets.  I think that is the way I will have to go.  The non jam band and rockablilly and steppenwolf type don't get recorded to much and don't want the different channels recorded on different mods.  It willl be interesting to see how it goes... A year ago this was a failing sports bar that turned into a biker bar that has great local music.  Have not been in since.  Should be fun.  Also will be the first time out with the TLs vs the 480s.

Dana

There are 2 different busman mods?

I'll echo the statements above - Peluso > R-4 sounds pretty good. Depending on the sound, I may do the busman upgrade one day. But, we bought a house and are getting married soon enough too, so I should just be happy I have the R-4 :)

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »

Dana

There are 2 different busman mods?

Whoops!  I can not confirm or deny this roumor.  I know nothing about it.  Busman slap me around and call me sally.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:11:43 PM by china_rider »

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 06:21:05 PM »
The only way to tell for sure if you're satisfied with your new gear is to...run it!  Use it a whole bunch and let your own ears decide for you.  :)

I know, and that's my plan. ;D  I just wanted get an idea if I'd be happy with my results off the get go, I'd hate to have all this nice gear and be dissapointed with the end results. 

Thanks everyone for the help.

I was told this place was a good place to come for help and now I see that it goes above and beyond what I had expected.  I wish I had come here 2 years ago, I may have skipped a few steps I took on my journey to upgrade my gear

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »

I know, and that's my plan. ;D  I just wanted get an idea if I'd be happy with my results off the get go, I'd hate to have all this nice gear and be dissapointed with the end results. 

Thanks everyone for the help.

I was told this place was a good place to come for help and now I see that it goes above and beyond what I had expected.  I wish I had come here 2 years ago, I may have skipped a few steps I took on my journey to upgrade my gear

I think you will really love the 481 > R-4 combo. The 480s are possibly the most widely used mic around these parts and for a reason, and more and more folks are jumping on the R-4 bandwagon, especially now that mods are being offered. I've heard nothing but good things about the R-4, and can't wait to check it out sometime.... nice rig, dude!

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 06:35:09 PM »
I've used my R4 a couple times now running my AT822 and 2 Nady condenser mics.  The results are definitely ok, but the Nady's are pretty cheep in the world of condenser's.

Even after using the R4 twice I'm learning where all the buttons are.  Last night I went to a local festival and kept the R4 in it's bag on my shoulder, I was video taping as well and didn't want anyone running into it, I must say I really like this unit.

And Berg, you'll get to see the rig on Tuesday, had I looked ahead and seen that you were going to TLG tonight I may have come with you, too late  now though.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 06:59:42 PM »
I've used my R4 a couple times now running my AT822 and 2 Nady condenser mics.  The results are definitely ok, but the Nady's are pretty cheep in the world of condenser's.

Even after using the R4 twice I'm learning where all the buttons are.  Last night I went to a local festival and kept the R4 in it's bag on my shoulder, I was video taping as well and didn't want anyone running into it, I must say I really like this unit.

And Berg, you'll get to see the rig on Tuesday, had I looked ahead and seen that you were going to TLG tonight I may have come with you, too late  now though.

Actually, I found out my friends bailed on tonight's show, so I figure I'll save the gas money... just stayin' in and taking it easy tonight.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »
IMO the R4 stock preamps are decent, but not awesome.  It can be a little flat and lifeless sounding at times, and while I was happy using it and thought it was awesome, when I put a preamp in front of it it really surprised me at how much better it sounded.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 11:59:17 AM »
I would not recommend putting a V3 in front of the R4, its preamp is so transparent there would be little use in running it in front of the R4 in my opinion as someone who ran 480>V3 many times; I'm sure your 481>R4 will sound great without any additions to that rig

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »
I would not recommend putting a V3 in front of the R4, its preamp is so transparent there would be little use in running it in front of the R4 in my opinion as someone who ran 480>V3 many times; I'm sure your 481>R4 will sound great without any additions to that rig

The stock line in on the R4 at minimum gain is set such that you can not push much more than a +4dBu reference signal. You will not be able to run a V2 or V3 hot like many folks like to do.

I really like running a 4 channel pre in front of the R4 like the fantastic German made RME QuadMic (also runs on the same 9V battery and takes up little room in the bag). A great value at around $500. I think I will only record and mix 4 microphones on the R4 from now on.  ;D
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 06:39:46 AM »
That sounds nice, if I decide to get a preamp that may be the one,

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.258 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com