Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Breaking into video?  (Read 13271 times)

Offline Jerseyboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Breaking into video?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »
You might use a neutral density filter as a quick fix. Depending upon what ISO you were filming at, you may need to lower it, change your aperture, or exposure, or all of the above. Any of those settings can impact the amount of light coming into your camera. What camera were you using, and what settings?

I don't recall the model number. They were Panasonics borrowed from a local TV station.  The camera uses the P2 format. We had three cameras. A static wide shot FOB (nice but dark), a roaming videographer on stage (amazing results), and stage right center (handheld for close ups) (mostly poor when the lights were up).  I got the board feed on digi-recorder, but never patched it to the static cam (rookie mistake) because the on board cam mics were totally over loaded making the sync process a struggle. Also mic'd the room with Church Audio cards FOB.  Post production has been a nightmare that I haven't had time to go back to.  It's been over three years now!  I should point out the stage right cam was set for better results for the 2nd set, but still has washout/over exposure under bright light. They were older cams tha the TV station (NBC affiliate) still used for certain shoots.  It was our 1st "big" job and like the song goes..."regrets, I have a few..."

I now have three Canon XA25s.  Awesome low light res and many options for video & audio.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: Breaking into video?
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
Never ever shoot anything higher than 1600 and you should not have this issue. If 1600 is too dark you need better glass.  ;o)

The biggest keys for video are: 1) make sure you have manual exposure control and use it, 2) make sure you can plug in a mic/s (unless you think you'll have time and skill to try to sync audio later). 

Both really important.  Without 1) you will just be filming glowing blobs at really any venue except daylight outdoors (and even then if they use bright enough spots).

About those glowing blobs....what exposure settings do you adjust to combat the over-exposed/white out of subjects under bright stage lighting? On a good digital camera I set the ISO high.  I lost one camera angle because the setting was incorrect filming from in front of or to the side of the stage.  I'm still trying to "fix" the problem.  Are there lens filters out there to help with this problem?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com