Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony almost created a perfect little recorder.............  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
Sony almost created a perfect little recorder.............
« on: March 12, 2004, 06:30:08 PM »
Well I have been hearing a little about the new Hi-MD for a while so I headed over to www.minidisc.org to get the scoop.  As I was reading about the features I found out that it has the ability to record uncompressed PCM at 44.1 just like a CD.  After a little more reading I found out that it tops out at 94 minutes of record time for CD quality recording.  It's not 2 hours like a DAT (no 90M for me), but hey that's a little better than standard 80 min MDs and standard MDs are compressed.  As I continued reading I found out that you can upload the recordings you make quite quickly via USB.  Wow! I could qwickly upload CD quality to my computer just like a JB3, but I would have removable media. Cool!  Well this is where Sony once again screws the consumer.  You can only upload quickly if you recorded from an analog source.  That's right folks if you use an outboard A/D converter you will not be able to upload the file to you computer for editing or CD burning purposes.  What do you think the odds are of Sony including both digital ins and outs on a portable units.  I say they are slim to none.  Thus if you buy into this format with the hopes of using it to make digital copies of music you legally make or record you will probably be forced to buy a home stand alone unit with digital output so you  can make a CD quality digital copies.  I think this format is dead before it even gets started.  It has restrictions that cancel out any advantages that it would have had over solid state recorders such as long battery life and cheap removeable media.  
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:Sony almost created a perfect little recorder.............
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 07:55:26 PM »
Would they design an 8pin cable also? ::)
probably........if sony put half as much time into designing  the product as they do creating proprietary BS to limit the product.......they'd have some kick ass stuff! :P
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 04:07:16 PM »
sony does really seem to screw up everything they make these days, they could be such an even bigger corporate giant if they thought things through
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 09:20:08 PM »
Does Sony mean "bend over" in Japanese ?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com