Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What qualities should I look for in a stand and finding mic bars.  (Read 3145 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Subject (almost) says it all.

There’s regularly super affordable lighting stands on Bay Area Craigslist (there’s a 9 foot stand for $19 at this very moment).

Presumably I’m looking for a stand that is lightweight and collapsible. Any other features to look out for?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
That really depends on what you plan to use it for.  In what "environments" will you be recording, usually?  At least in my experience, there is no "one size fits all" solution.  I find myself wanting something different depending on the venue, and I haven't found anything that fits the bill for all situations.

You may even find that in some of the places you record most often, you won't need a stand at all.  For example, at Red Rocks most people don't use stands because it makes much more sense to clamp to the railing.  Give us some more details about where you'll be recording most, and that will help.  Getting the advice of people who have recorded there in the past will pay some serious dividends.

I think a lot of thought needs to go into your mounting solution(s), and it will depend heavily on what mics you'll be running and what "environments" you'll be in.  Given the importance of location, the mounting solution that will get you in that location is likely to vary and unlikely to be covered by just one stand.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have one pair of decent mics and a closet full of mounting gear if it means I can consistently get in the sweet spot, rather than a closet full of the best possible mics and one or two mic stands that limit me to setting up in sometimes less-than-ideal locations. 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Another aspect is the foot print of stands. how wide the feet/legs need to be for max support etc.
A second aspect is collapsible length. Some stands which reach the same height will collapse down differently. i.e. "typical" light stands don't collapse down to 18 or 24 inches total,  but many video or specialty stands will.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
The thing about "light stands" is that the threading on the chuck at the top won't match the threading of your typical microphone/mic bar.  You'll have to find an adapter...

IMO, you should also look for "air-cushioned"...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
The venue I attend most is The Independent in San Francisco, which now that I think about it would be more suited for a clamp, as they stick tapers up on a second floor balcony.

I also regularly attend the UC Theater, which has space for stands on the furthest tier, but IIRC also has some spots to clamp.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
the matthews in the rig pictures Phil & Bobby is an example of not a stand that might suit you well.

I have not picked one upyet but plan to do so. fairly inexpensive and collapses down really small. that + a superclamp or similar would probably suit your needs

I like the manfrotto stands. The newer ones collapse flat. I find that makes carrying it a little easier over the shoulder etc. But if it stays up, has the thread and weight requirements you need then there is really no other reason to pay a lot.

for a standard i would get one that is atleast 10feet tall unless you are going to run FOB all the time.

i have a 7'6" fob stand and its ALMOST tall enough to use all the time but to get up above the crowd in certain situations that extra few feet is a blessing.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline heathen

The venue I attend most is The Independent in San Francisco, which now that I think about it would be more suited for a clamp, as they stick tapers up on a second floor balcony.

I also regularly attend the UC Theater, which has space for stands on the furthest tier, but IIRC also has some spots to clamp.
Sounds like a clamp is the logical first step for you.  Also, you'll want something that allows you to clamp onto someone else's stand.  I've used this a lot: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298908-REG/WindTech_MPC_10_Multi_Position_C_Type_Clamp.html
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
So it seems like a clamp + extension type bar combo would cover many bases I’m likely to encounter. As for the mic bar itself, are bars that can be configured for a wide range of mic orientations? What’s the best way to go?

Offline heathen

So it seems like a clamp + extension type bar combo would cover many bases I’m likely to encounter. As for the mic bar itself, are bars that can be configured for a wide range of mic orientations? What’s the best way to go?
I think it depends on what mics you end up getting.  If you get something really small like the Church mics, you could use a TV antenna, PVC pipe, drink coaster, etc.  (I'm not fucking with you...people on here have used all of those and more.)  You wouldn't want to do that with larger mics, though.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
I think it depends on what mics you end up getting.  If you get something really small like the Church mics, you could use a TV antenna, PVC pipe, drink coaster, etc.  (I'm not fucking with you...people on here have used all of those and more.)  You wouldn't want to do that with larger mics, though.

Yeah I plan to try out my DIY omnis spaced at the David Byrnes show I’m catching by taping them to the balcony railing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com