Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3/8 16 Threaded Rod for mounting options?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 3/8 16 Threaded Rod for mounting options?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 08:12:59 AM »
It depends on the application. Nylon is lightweight, but it is also easily damaged or broken compared to metal.

I've always found Grainger to be more expensive than other vendors. Also, they are commercial sales only. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:15:48 AM by Walstib62 »

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
My mic stand kit has an assortment of steel 3/8-16 thread rod sections.  I do no fly high stands, except for rare occasions. So, my stands are mostly 2-4' base sections, and I have an assortment of steel rod extensions to fit my needs.  They quickly and easily run me up to 7'.
I also use these same rods to go really high when I need to, on my Manforotto 9'+ stand.
I've covered each section in  heat shrink so that it does not just look like thread rod stock.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
I also made a few adaptors from this steel thread stock as well.  I took 1' pieces of it, and bent it at 90º and 45º, and aded thread rod ferrule connectors to the ends, to use in my clamps. THis allows me to turn the angle of the clamp "output" to go from holding a mic stand/rail, and, going vertical or, horizontal when necessary.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »
Same as Moke here. For years I used a pair of 2' long steel threaded rod extensions I'd made up, with a jam-nut-locked female connection nut on one end and a short section of male thread extending past a lock nut at the other, covered in heat shrink (thick on the nut ends, thin along the length of the all-thread center portion).  These were useful as short stands mounted in a tripod foot and as stand extensions, but rather heavy.  The outside of the thick heatshrink covered connection nut would fit nicely into the female socket of a superclamp or the folding foot, secured with a thumbscrew.  I now mostly use a lighter and more adjustable single telescopic extension, which works better for clamping to railings and atop a stand when required. 

The nylon threaded rod is not likely to be stiff enough for that kind of extension application under load, but shorter sections of it should be fine for mic-holder/mic-bar/shock-mount applications, and the lighter weight is a bonus.  Take a bit more care threading nuts onto it so you don't cross-tread it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »
I made a few mounts out of nylon threaded rods w/ nylon nuts going thru PVC pipe & they have held up fine.  I purchased the rods from The Nutty Company which was in my old hometown. No price online but they were always the go to place for nuts & bolts and they were always helpful.

https://www.nutty.com/3-8-16-nylon-threaded-rod-3-ft-36-inches/
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com