Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3wire batt bocx for AT943  (Read 32607 times)

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
Re: 3wire batt bocx for AT943
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 12:42:31 AM »
Couple of questions here

I have the SP-SPSB-1 battery box and AT853's
How would I go about doing the 3-wire mod on this

Also, I think I have a 12V battery box box from SP layin aruond somewhere...if I used thta with my AT853's would it damage them at all, or would it help rais ethe maximum SPL

thanks
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 12:54:42 AM »
Couple of questions here

I have the SP-SPSB-1 battery box and AT853's
How would I go about doing the 3-wire mod on this

Also, I think I have a 12V battery box box from SP layin aruond somewhere...if I used thta with my AT853's would it damage them at all, or would it help rais ethe maximum SPL

thanks

The directions for 3-wire battery box are on my webpage (and in previous messages here):
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AT853

You could probably use the 12V box, but I don't think it will improve much.  I suggest ripping the SP miniplug off and building a 3-wire box.  Note: if you always use the same mics, you could just hard-wire the cables and put a switch (or a sliding battery tray) there to turn it on/off. This is much more reliable, and avoids those expensive and fussy "miniXLR" connectors.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 06:55:28 AM »
i constucted a pcb with this schematic. and made a pdf file. let me know what you think.
http://www.globalxs.nl/home/w/weazel/3wirebox.pdf

Hi!

I think you made a mistake with the nodes of the capacitor C1. There should be an empty trace between the "positive" terminal and the "negative" terminal of the capacitor -if electrolytic 10uF are used).

See attached image (draft drawing I've done this morning at work...)

Anyway, your PCB design was great and the components were optimally placed. +T for you.

EDIT: Attachment removed. Bad miniXLR wiring.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 06:23:13 AM by lordbelial »
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 12:49:23 PM »
i constucted a pcb with this schematic. and made a pdf file. let me know what you think.

Hi!

I think you made a mistake with the nodes of the capacitor C1. There should be an empty trace between the "positive" terminal and the "negative" terminal of the capacitor -if electrolytic 10uF are used).

Anyway, your PCB design was great and the components were optimally placed. +T for you.

The miniXLR pins are wrong.  It should be:
1: ground>>>>>>shield of cable
2: audio >>>>>yellow wire
3: battery/bias>>>>red wire

Richard

Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »

Hi!

Richard

Yes...  ??? I always make the same mistake. But thanks my god my physical wiring is OK. I'll post the correct "draft" tomorrow. I don't want the people to fall into misunderstanding by my fault.

Anyway thanks for this.

I'll post photos later. As soon as I get a camera...
Actual Gear:

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2006, 03:07:16 PM »

Hi!

Richard

Yes...  ??? I always make the same mistake. But thanks my god my physical wiring is OK. I'll post the correct "draft" tomorrow. I don't want the people to fall into misunderstanding by my fault.

Anyway thanks for this.

I'll post photos later. As soon as I get a camera...

Oh yeah, you don't need a circuit board for this.  Just use "point-to-point" wiring.  Take the caps and glue them in place (epoxy or hot melt glue).  Then just solder all the other parts in between.  Another trick is to wrap the resistors in a very thin tube of heat shrink.  This will insulate the wires and prevent shorts.  Oh yeah, when you're done, smother the whole thing in hot melt glue.  Just to be sure things hold together :)

Richard

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »
Well. Here are the results...

I hope you enjoy them. This was the second 3-wire battery box I made. First was done with "poorlyconditioned" schematics, and this one you see has got the 220 Kohm resistor at the output, and will go to a friend of mine who requested it.

Thanks god I found the hot melt glue gun at home (well, my father did...)
Actual Gear:

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »
Well. Here are the results...

I hope you enjoy them. This was the second 3-wire battery box I made. First was done with "poorlyconditioned" schematics, and this one you see has got the 220 Kohm resistor at the output, and will go to a friend of mine who requested it.

Thanks god I found the hot melt glue gun at home (well, my father did...)

+T for the glue.  You've got natural talent :)

Richard

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2006, 02:35:51 AM »
This is the first one that I made. It came out OK and sounds great! It's an extra right now so if anyone is looking for one, I have this one available. It has all film caps and resistors, switchcraft mini-xlr connectors, a led power light, a micro on-off switch and a dedicated mini-xlr to 1/8" adaptor. It's also about 2/3rd the size of the SP 2-wire box making it a little smaller for stealthing. I made another one that I'm going to try out this weekend. Fun stuff!!

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2006, 02:42:43 AM »
This is the first one that I made. It came out OK and sounds great! It's an extra right now so if anyone is looking for one, I have this one available. It has all film caps and resistors, switchcraft mini-xlr connectors, a led power light, a micro on-off switch and a dedicated mini-xlr to 1/8" adaptor. It's also about 2/3rd the size of the SP 2-wire box making it a little smaller for stealthing. I made another one that I'm going to try out this weekend. Fun stuff!!

Wow, that is nice!  I would remove the LED though.  That will take way too much power (10mA vs about 0.5mA for the mics), and will drain your battery fast.  Hmm.  Ideally, you could put an LED that just flickers when you turn it on, but that is more work.  In fact, don't put a switch at all.  Just turn it on by inserting the mics.

OK, now can you please help me out and tell me the source/part # for that box.  I'm looking for something nice and small like that.  Send by PM if you like...

Richard

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2006, 04:12:50 AM »

Wow, that is nice!  I would remove the LED though.  That will take way too much power (10mA vs about 0.5mA for the mics), and will drain your battery fast.  Hmm.  Ideally, you could put an LED that just flickers when you turn it on, but that is more work.  In fact, don't put a switch at all.  Just turn it on by inserting the mics.

OK, now can you please help me out and tell me the source/part # for that box.  I'm looking for something nice and small like that.  Send by PM if you like...

Richard

Hi,

Nice work! +T for the lateral concept. I was thinking in that too, changing the miniXLR from the front side of the box to the right/left side as you have done.

Richard wants to know the reference/PN for the box, I think it would be interesting to post the list of materials for every box we have made, so the DYers would have it easier to go ahead in 3-wire battery building.

For example, in my first box I used 10 uF / 63 V electrolitic capacitors and in my second one I've used PANASONIC 2,2 uF / 250 Volt metal film capacitors. I can't note the differences between the two types of capacitors...

ALSO! I'm searching for a 50 KOhm logaritmic Stereo potentiometer for a preamp building, so If anybody knows a PN or reference It will be appreciated  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:14:48 AM by lordbelial »
Actual Gear:

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:24 AM »

Richard

Actually, I did a lot of research on the led and this particular one isn't very bright and takes less than 1mA to operate. The switch idea is there to flip it on when you need to even further saving battery power. I know when I go stealthing, sometimes I have my gear on me and running for up to 30mins before the show. It would be nice to just save the power and then reach in my pocket and flip a switch. =)

Oddly enough, the project box is available at your local rat shack! The part number is 270-1801. I even went out to my local electronics superstore and they didn't have anything small enough!

Here's the second one I made with all the controls on the front.

Edit: Both of these boxes use 2.2uF 100v film caps and all 1% film resistors. The input resistor is set at 10k for use with other caps such as the ck9x, which I plan to use someday soon. A big +T to Richard for the great research into this, and anbody else behind the scene!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:09:48 PM by dano420 »

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2006, 12:23:57 PM »

Actually, I did a lot of research on the led and this particular one isn't very bright and takes less than 1mA to operate. The switch idea is there to flip it on when you need to even further saving battery power. I know when I go stealthing, sometimes I have my gear on me and running for up to 30mins before the show. It would be nice to just save the power and then reach in my pocket and flip a switch. =)

Oddly enough, the project box is available at your local rat shack! The part number is 270-1801. I even went out to my local electronics superstore and they didn't have anything small enough!

Here's the second one I made with all the controls on the front.

Edit: Both of these boxes use 2.2uF 100v film caps and all 1% film resistors. The input resistor is set at 10k for use with other caps such as the ck9x, which I plan to use someday soon. A big +T to Richard for the great research into this, and anbody else behind the scene!

It looks really nice.

I'll try to make my next box with this concept. I have a small box like these at home and I could not find it a use...  ;D

But I really don't want to worry about the led and the switch, most of the times I change the battery when it is not still drained up...

Next DIY project I'm going to build is a 3-wire battery box with a 10db boost gain (preamp stage), to see how it works in the field...
Actual Gear:

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2006, 12:26:16 PM »

Nice!

Would it be possible to run AT831 with this?? Would it give a "better" sound or just higher SPL handling??

I think YES.

AT831/853/943 are wired the same way, so the same 3-wire battery box would work

Correct me if I'm wrong!
Actual Gear:

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »
Next DIY project I'm going to build is a 3-wire battery box with a 10db boost gain (preamp stage), to see how it works in the field...

I was even thinking of building a 4-channel bbox with gain/pre on each set of channels. It's wouldn't be for stealthing but would be a nice small box for a 4 mic mix!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.259 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com