Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Memory stick for PCM-D50 ?  (Read 27981 times)

Offline jeffee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Memory stick for PCM-D50 ?
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Brian!
To any that may be able to inform me, I want to acquire a memory stick for a PCM-D50.  Reliability, smoothness, and quickest transfer speed to my computer (if there is any difference) are important to me.  So, I was going to get a 4GB MS pro-hg duo, but I've noticed there is a MS pro-hg duo HX available,  both 4GB and 8GB.  Can anyone give me any recommendations?  Should I stick with the plain HG duo, or get an HX?  I'd really rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Memory stick for PCM-D50 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
Sony says ( http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PCMD50/ ) PCM-D50 is compatible with the following Memory Stick models:
Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo MS-EX4G (4GB), MS-EX2G (2GB) , MS-EX1G (1GB)
and
Memory Stick Pro Duo (High Speed) MSX-M2GNU (2GB), MSXM1GNU (1GB)

There are two problems using the above products.  First, the maximum capacity available is 4 GB.  Second, these are the most expensive memory sticks Sony makes.

in 2008, Sony released a new version of the less expensive Memory Stick Pro Duo called the "Mark II."  The Mark II cards are available in capacities up to 16 GB, and they are less expensive than the Pro Duo (High Speed) and Pro-HG memory sticks.

The Mark II was designed for use in Sony's video cameras. The latest Sony video cameras use AVCHD format (a version of the H.264 standard for video compression).  Recording mid to high quality HD video, the cameras generate a data stream of 6 Mb per second to 13 Mb per second.  The Mark II cards are rated for a 32 Mb per second continuous write speed, so they can keep up with AVCHD video.

Read the specs for the Pro Duo Mark II here
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665359950

If you were recording stereo audio on your D50 at a rate of 24/96, you'd create a data stream of 4.6 Mb per second.  That's considerably less data than the AVCHD process creates.  So even though Sony does not recommend the Pro Duo Mark II cards for the D50, I think they will work fine.

Flintstone

Offline jeffee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply, and the excellent info!  I wonder why Sony doesn't recommend the Pro Duo Mark II cards for the D-50.  Also, have you seen the Pro HG Duo HX cards I mentioned?  I'm wondering if they are new enough that Sony hasn't changed their literature -- yet -- and may add them on their (D-50) recommended list.

Thanks again!!

-Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
The Mark II cards in fact work fine in the D50, I have been using a 16GB Mark II since January, taped 60-70 events with NO D50 issues.  That card does NOT work in a D1, however.  I have yet to find anything above 4GB that works in a D1.

Jeff

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »
I just purchased a Sony 16GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX (MS-HX16).

It works perfectly. I recorded all day with it at 24/48 with no problems. I decided to go with this card for a little peace of mind.

This card is a little more expensive, but I found a pretty good deal on it at:
http://www.provantage.com/sony-mshx16g~7SNYH0EF.htm
It also comes with a USB card reader (which they don't mention in the description).

Combined with the 4GB internal memory, this will give me almost 20 hours of recording time at 24/48.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline frogger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
I just bought 2 of the Memory Stick Pro Duo Magic Gate Mark2 16GB sticks and when I put it in my D50, I get "memory error".  Anybody have any thoughts on what might be wrong.  I know wifijeff says it worked fine for him.  I bought it from B&H so I would hold hope it wouldn't be a fake.

Thanks,
Chuck
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:29:54 AM by frogger »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
I just bought 2 of the Memory Stick Pro Duo Magic Gate Mark2 16GB sticks and when I put it in my D50, I get "memory error".  Anybody have any thoughts on what might be wrong.  I know wifijeff says it worked fine for him.  I bought it from B&H so I would hold it wouldn't be a fake.

Thanks,
Chuck

This is very odd.  Since I wrote that note in April I have recorded an additional 30-40 concerts with the D50 using always the MC option (just under eight hours at 24/96) rather than the internal memory, and not a single glitch from the recorder. 

Jeff

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
I just bought 2 of the Memory Stick Pro Duo Magic Gate Mark2 16GB sticks and when I put it in my D50, I get "memory error".  Anybody have any thoughts on what might be wrong.  I know wifijeff says it worked fine for him.  I bought it from B&H so I would hold it wouldn't be a fake.

Thanks,
Chuck

This is very odd.  Since I wrote that note in April I have recorded an additional 30-40 concerts with the D50 using always the MC option (just under eight hours at 24/96) rather than the internal memory, and not a single glitch from the recorder. 

Jeff

Yes it is odd, but I put it into a USB card reader, put it back into the D50, and it now comes up and shows that I have 17 hrs of available recording time at 24 bit/44.1.  I had tried it 3 times with an 8GB in between each one before I posted.  I bought 2 of them and when the first one worked, I popped the 2nd one in and it read it no problem.   So combined with my 2 SanDisk Ultra II 8GB, 2 of the SanDisk 4GB, plus the4GB  builtin, I now have over 60 hrs of recording time.   My goal is to be able to go to Grey Fox next week and not have to bring my laptop to offload anything until I get home.  I'll play  with it some more and probably end up taking my chances next week.  Thanks for your fast response Jeff! 

Chuck

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
I wonder why Sony doesn't recommend the Pro Duo Mark II cards for the D-50.

http://www.memorystick.com/en/memorystick/type.html
The Mark2 cards didn't exist when the D50 was released, and really they can be considered regular Memory Stick Pro Duo (High Speed) models, which are listed as recommended in the manual and online. Little more than a bit of re-branding of the Memory Stick Pro Duo, IMO. Most devices won't need to record at the max write speeds available.

http://www.memorystick.com/en/memorystick/feature/index.html#p02
All they do is list a 15mbps minimum write speed on the Mark2. Sony are very vague on particulars. This is nothing special considering they like to measure in megaBITS per second and not megabytes per second like SD card Class ratings do. So basically we have nothing special here.

What's interesting is that Sony still charge roughly double what it costs to get a comparable SD card of the same capacity and speeds. Good thing prices keep dropping, though. For the USD$35 price of an 8GB stick, you can get a 16GB Kingston model at B&H, with change. The Sony Tax in full effect :)

Still, at the end of the day, it can all be considered reasonable if buying smaller capacities in ones and twos, and the fact they make a good-value recorder (the D50!) has to count for something.

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
When I was researching what to buy for a flash recorder, the proprietary memory stick was a big issue with me.  However, the D50 had great reviews, I've been using Sony recorders since I started back in 82 (83?) with a Walkman Pro D6 (?), then a D5, and finally a Sony DAT, and they have all served me well.  I find the more I use it, the more I love my D50.  You certainly can't beat that battery life!  Now I've got 2-4GB, 2-8GB, and 2-16GB cards, plus the 4GB builtin, so that's roughly 60 hours or so at 24/48 and that'll last me for most festivals without having to upload to my laptop.  Was doing 24/44.1 but figured I'd jump up a bit.  I'm a pretty happy taper these days.  Now I just need to work on my goal of more play and less work ;D!

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
this is noice

zing :)

ilduclo

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:19:04 PM »
just about ready to drop on a d50. birthday is upcoming, and have been getting massive OT at work....

2 questions
is the mount for the "sony tripod" also a fit to other mounting options? I'm thinking a 10' high mic stand?

also, the on board mics, I hear they are nearly the best out there, can one use them and give the dpa's a well deserved rest once in a while?

;D

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »
also, the on board mics, I hear they are nearly the best out there, can one use them and give the dpa's a well deserved rest once in a while?

;D

The best on-board mics are the Sony D1's.  But in addition to the cost factor, the D1 has limited autonomy, it gets only 5-6 hours on high capacity rechargeable AAs and doesn't seem to be able to use bigger memory stick cards.  I was hoping that these 8 and 16 (and now 32) GB HG cards would solve that problem, but the D1 only sees them in 4 GB chunks.  In other words, when I run a 16 GB Pro-HG HX Duo card with memory stick adapter in mine, it initially sees only 1 hour 32 minutes of space (at 24/96).  It fills that and stops.  Then I can restart it and it fills another 2 hours, then stops.  I can fill the whole card this way, but it halts at the 4 GB limit each time (making two seamlessly split 2 GB files each time).  If I shut it off at 1 hour 30 minutes, it only sees 30 minutes more when I turn it on again.  I really think this needs a firmware fix (since the recorder does seamless splits at 2 GB just fine), but I don't think that will ever happen.

Jeff

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
2 questions
is the mount for the "sony tripod" also a fit to other mounting options? I'm thinking a 10' high mic stand?

The mount is a standard camera 1/4-20 mount.  I've never heard dpa's so I can't compare them.  I used the onboard mics once for a Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper show.  I was 2nd row, center aisle (about 20 ft from the stage)  with the mics pointed forward, deck sitting on my lap and was very happy with the results.  The only disadvantage to using it with a mic stand is you would need to set the levels ahead of time.  There is a remote available and you might be able to monitor levels with it, but you can't set them.  I think the remote may also start/stop recording.  You would need to confirm that elsewhere.

ilduclo

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
thanks for the info, still in the air about getting one, but I appreciate the input! ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com