Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 78080 times)

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« on: October 30, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
I've searched these boards and not seeing anything on this relatively new compact camera with 'HD' video, and had the opportunity to try this out recently. I brought in a monopod to stabilize the camera for video shots and while I need some practice on this combo, I found that for a stereo recording with decent video this might be the best option for those considering a small footprint. I found the results pretty good and invested in a 16 GB card for storage and picked up 3 additional batteries for power.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »
It's certainly a great little camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8WEX6YsKEs&fmt=22

(TZ7 in Europe = ZS3 in US)

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
I bit the bullet on this camera and just got it in the mail today.
It seems like the audio quality is OK to pretty good when the source volume is loud enough and there is no wind.  In a quiet setting it seems like there is a decent amount of hiss present, but I haven't experimented on my own yet...still waiting for the flash card :(
I spent a lot of time watching/listening to youtube examples.  People also claim that this microphone also picks up wind rumble very easily and some people have reported a make shift windscreen helping greatly (a piece of foam taped on top).  About the video in the previous post, it was mixed with the soundboard's audio.  Here's what the video poster had to say about the audio:

"This song from the show was 'broadcast' on streaming online radio, which was official, and so it was a soundboard feed. I mixed that with a little of the on-cam audio for some more atmoshpere. If you listen to the very begining of the guitar after the spoken Bruce-intro you can hear the SBD source fade in (I did it quickly and sloppily)."

This video from the same poster is using the camera audio only:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5zSYQZejw
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:38:12 PM by midside »

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:57:38 AM »
If anyone wants to see another sample of what this cam can do, here's a video that a videographer buddy of mine did with this camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEzEXaIkzU&fmt=22

It performs pretty well in low light conditions it seems.

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:36:45 AM »
I bought this camera (TZ7 in Australia) and gave it a work out recording HD video at Sunset Sounds two day festival in Brisbane recently and the results look and sound really really good. Immeasurable improvement on my old Canon A710IS. No more distorted sound and the 12x zoom really works well.

I had the "Wind Cut" function (reduces wind noise in audio) turned on the whole time so not sure how much of a difference that made but certainly don't have any wind noises in my recordings.

For the size of this camera coupled with it's great zoom and ability to record HD, and having paid just $AUS 360 I think this an awesome tool for concert recordings. Admittedly I only have my old Canon to compare it to but yeah still think it's the best when you weigh it all up.

The downside is the battery life. I think I managed to record a smidgen over an hour before it died. That's from recording about 38 separate vids and turning on/off and zooming in/out etc.

I've ordered an additional generic battery from HK but it will take a couple of weeks to get here. Note that Panasonic introduced a security feature in firmware 1.2 which stops some generic batteries from working with the camera but apparently the manufacturers caught onto this and the latest generic batteries now work again.

The other downside is that now I have to buy a better PC so I can actually edit the HD videos ha! So sorry no footage as yet to back up my claims :) But the vids look and sound good on the big screen TV. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a new camera for this purpose.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »
Just bought the ZS3 as a backup for when I can't bring in my Sony cam.  Looking forward to seeing what it can do.  The 12X zoom (while filming in HD) in a regular P&S form factor is sweet, since nowadays most venues allow so-called "nonprofessional" cameras.  I'm also liking the idea of AVCHD Lite.  It requires a lot less space than Motion JPEG.  Plus it doesn't have the annoying 2GB file limitation.  Shoot three songs, stop, shoot three songs, stop, shoot three songs, stop.... how stupid is that??   
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
I have had this camera close to a month and I am blown away every time I put the images on my computer. Sure they look fantastic on the screen but when they are on the computer, it's amazing as well.

I know the digital zoom (the zoom beyond 12x) can't be used for video but for a photo, it has surprised me many times at FULL magnification.
Another nice thing is three separate qualities for recording video so if you don't want it has superhigh, there is a high and a low allowing you to get more to record on your card.

It's a great camera!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
I know the digital zoom (the zoom beyond 12x) can't be used for video but for a photo, it has surprised me many times at FULL magnification.
Another nice thing is three separate qualities for recording video so if you don't want it has superhigh, there is a high and a low allowing you to get more to record on your card.

It's a great camera!

Yes great qualities and I know what you mean with the Extra optical zoom and even the digital zoom seem to still give decent pictures. You can use the extra/digital zoom (up to 48x) with video depending on what quality you are shooting in and again these still give better quality results than other cameras I've used.

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
I love my ZS3!!! I'm not sure why, but I think it's my fave. This clip uses the ZS3 for the head on shot, Sanyo Xacti HD2000 for the angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b_GurVYGA8

This one uses the Sanyo for the head on and takes advantage of the wide angle of the ZS3 for a fretboard shot:

The .mts format has been choking Premiere Elements 7, but I just loaded Edius Neo and it's doing a sweet job. It's doing better on my laptop than PE7 does on my desktop.

Oooooh, I almost forgot this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGNHdKp_No

I had four cameras up and didn't look at the ZS3 clip until I'd spent two days editing the others (known as a dumb move, for sure). When we saw the angle and the image quality of the ZS3 we threw the rest away.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:13 AM »
Have very inexpensive Lumix and it rocked so ordered ZS3 arriving this Monday, AND the repair manual from Panasonic to modify this camera for EXTERNAL input of my stereo-surround microphones. 

So in the near future this little camera will have BOTH unlimited 720P HD video AND HD stereo-surround audio recording capabilities.  Will modify this camera for others if interested.

After market spare battery from B&H in NYC with ~30% MORE capacity at nearly half the cost tested OK in this camera.

Sandisk now has 16 GIG Extreme III SDHC Class 10 card that should work the best of all cards available at highest reliability/lowest power consumption; costs ~$120 usd

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:11:44 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »
FWIW they announced the ZS5 and ZS7 yesterday.  Not any groundbreaking improvements, really.  The have a new IS system called Power O.I.S. but  sadly they raised the mp up to 14mp.   :(   Since my zs1 was stolen in a home burglary I've been on the fence between getting a zs3 or a fz35, but if the new cameras result in lower pricing for the zs3 I might just go that route.

zs5:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012604panazs5.asp
zs7:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012605panazs7.asp
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:37:15 AM by drewloo »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
FWIW they announced the ZS5 and ZS7 yesterday.  Not any groundbreaking improvements, really.  The have a new IS system called Power O.I.S. but  sadly they raised the mp up to 14mp.   :(   Since my zs1 was stolen in a home burglary I've been on the fence between getting a zs3 or a fz35, but if the new cameras result in lower pricing for the zs3 I might just go that route.

zs5:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012604panazs5.asp
zs7:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012605panazs7.asp
No mention of having stereo mic recording capability on these new models.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Write-up at the links posted above contain this snippet for the ZS7-

The TZ10 also features Dolby Digital Stereo Creator to record high quality audio, so you can match the beautiful motion images with outstanding stereo sound, and further offers a one-touch movie button for instant recording of videos.

Guessing that implies stereo audio recording?

That blurb is absent in the ZS5 review, as is mention of AVCHD lite support.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:16:50 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
-dulicate post deleted-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
So stereo at least true for TZ10 and so far only available in UK it seems.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com