Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie to clamps needs assistance please  (Read 5070 times)

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
newbie to clamps needs assistance please
« on: December 17, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
ok, so I got a set of super clamps a while back just because they were there and I thought I would eventually use em. I finally got around to accessorizing for them and just picked up this with an assortment of other connectors and arms.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35_.html

My main goal was to try to get to where I could clamp to a table in the small bars I tape at most of the time. I got all the connectors, and the wedges for clamping to a flat surface. Everything just arrived today and while I was playing with them at lunch, I put everything together and tried to clamp to my table. Now the big problem is, I'm coming out of the super clamp where the spigot end goes into the quick release on the top of the larger section of the clamp. From there, I am going directly into the telescoping extension arm. This all fits great, nice and snug, loved it until I tried to clamp to my table. Even with the arm fully retracted and no tbar/mics, it seems like the bottom of the clamp is too small to support it when clamped to a table and it wants to fall backward under the weight.

Am I configuring this oddly or trying to do something it shouldn't do?

i was hoping to use this tomorrow for just this purpose.

Thanks, I hope I'm just overlooking something or being too stupid to see the obvious.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: newbie to clamps needs assistance please
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
So you're using the Super Clamp and going straight up from it?  If so, there shouldn't be any problems.....  I've done this a bunch with the same gear.  Is the clamp slipping off of the table? 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
I have the same pole and super clamp.

Is there a reason you can't just have the stud that came with the super clamp going into the extension pole? It fits and tightens down pretty well but at the highest extension of 92", it will still be pretty wobbly. What microphones will you be using? Understand that while its stationary, I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

After re-reading the post, it sounds like you're doing what I suggested.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »
I have the same pole and super clamp.

Is there a reason you can't just have the stud that came with the super clamp going into the extension pole? It fits and tightens down pretty well but at the highest extension of 92", it will still be pretty wobbly. What microphones will you be using? Understand that while its stationary, I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

After re-reading the post, it sounds like you're doing what I suggested.

I'll be using it for either my nak 300's or Joesphson C42MP's but I haven't even gotten to the point of putting the tbar and mics on yet because it won't lock down without slipping off backwards.

yep this is what I'm doing pretty much exactly, stud > extension bar. It seems like the clamp wants to slip backwards because the bottom of the clamp is short so basically, yes the clamp leans backwards to the point of slipping off the table because it has a lack of leverage on the bottom lip of the clamp, looks like it would be better if the long lip of the clamp was on the bottom, not the top. 

I can pull a piece of thick kydex(plastic) from where I work and make a bigger footprint for the bottom lip[by fastening the kydex to it to make it more stable but I didn't think I  should have to do this and figured I was foobing something up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:16:05 PM by bgreen »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
It might just be the slickness of the table.  Maybe get a piece of leather or flat piece rubber or something that won't slip easily and wrap that on lip of the table and see if it makes a difference.  Or just try another table or chair.   And maybe try it without the wedge.

I've safely ran both a pair of LD's and SD's on my extension pole at the same time.  So unless something is malfunctioning, that set up has the strength to work well.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have a few scraps of the rubber anti slip material you slip under throw rugs at home, maybe I will give  a piece of that a whirl.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
This is my main setup and I find it massively easier to use than a stand most of the time.  It also makes venues happier. 

I've run DPA 4021 from it and AKG ck9x caps in an active rig, as well as even a 4-mic setup with the DPA on top and some Neumann 150s clamped to the extension pole.

I find that sometimes if I clamp to something with the stud pointing up it can be a touch less stable.  I find that steadying the clamp with the bar already in place while I tighten helps.

However, for a more sturdy setup, I find it's better to clamp with the hole horizontal and run this out of it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546373-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_042_042_Extension_Arm_with.html

Then, with that facing up, attach the manfrotto pole.

This is what I prefer to do when I can.  I find it offers more stability. When I did the 4-mic, I was running this way.  It will still wobble a touch more than a stand, but not enough to affect your recordings.  I would recommend getting a decent pair of shockmounts, just in case.

Good luck. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »
I never trusted my super clamp with the large extension pole, so I bought a large bogen C clamp that works like a charm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252212-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_649_Quick_Action_Release_Clamp.html

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »
pictures please. trouble shooting this sort of stuff is tough without them.

I've never run into a point where I needed a C clamp, but I can see where I might. I suspect that might be next on my list.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »
I never trusted my super clamp with the large extension pole, so I bought a large bogen C clamp that works like a charm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252212-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_649_Quick_Action_Release_Clamp.html

I believe I'll be switching to one of these. The super clams I can see will be nice for clamping to Beams ect, but I could not for the life of me get it to stay on the tables at the tin angel last weekend even with a piece of non slip rubber under both feet. The tables were fairly thick and I'm sure this had something to do with it. I ended up clamping to a chair rung, worked great for that  :)

Thanks for the link, I think the C clamps and the super clamps will both be in my bag from now on. What are the connections on that, can't enlarge the pic and B&H doesn't really have anything listed that I see. Looks like I can just drop in any of the studs on the pictured top of the clamp, but whats on the bottom there.

I will certainly snap a few pics too, same thing happens on my table at home which is fairly thick. Would love to see if there is something stupid I am overlooking  :-[
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:36:56 AM by bgreen »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
pictures please. trouble shooting this sort of stuff is tough without them.

I've never run into a point where I needed a C clamp, but I can see where I might. I suspect that might be next on my list.

I'll take some photos with my new camera later this week and post them. It's quite simple but photos do help out.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 04:46:55 AM »

I believe I'll be switching to one of these. The super clams I can see will be nice for clamping to Beams ect, but I could not for the life of me get it to stay on the tables at the tin angel last weekend even with a piece of non slip rubber under both feet. The tables were fairly thick and I'm sure this had something to do with it. I ended up clamping to a chair rung, worked great for that  :)

Thanks for the link, I think the C clamps and the super clamps will both be in my bag from now on. What are the connections on that, can't enlarge the pic and B&H doesn't really have anything listed that I see. Looks like I can just drop in any of the studs on the pictured top of the clamp, but whats on the bottom there.

I will certainly snap a few pics too, same thing happens on my table at home which is fairly thick. Would love to see if there is something stupid I am overlooking  :-[

This set up works great for me  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:24 AM »

Picked this up and added it to my bag. I coud not for the life of me get the superclamp to where I trusted it on a table. ths one on the other hand is rock solid and a much better choice for flat surfaces. Thanks for the recommendation!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com