Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video Shock mount isolation  (Read 6629 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Video Shock mount isolation
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »
So since I rarely need an excuse for slutting it up, I'll use this weak one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOqX6XTKh4I

Anybody know anything about shock mounts for video cameras?  Pretty noticeable in sections......

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Video Shock mount isolation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
Cameras have it built into them.  It's called image stabilization.  Beyond that you can do some correction in post with digital stabilization.  aka deshaker.  And various other gadgets to help the camcorder out at the point of capture.  Heavy tripod, fancy heads for super smooth pans and such.  Monopod, shoulder rig, remote only operation and other things to take the shake makers out of the picture.

It's taking a while to download over dialup.  But your codec is already suffering from stabilization issues in the first 7 seconds.  You could get a wide angle lens and get closer to the subject to take some of that issue out of the picture.  Or just don't use zoom, or as much zoom.  It looks like the heart beat is translating through the tripod, or the platform/stands are being shaken by the people on it, or the PA system.  If it's the heart beat, don't touch the tripod if you're not adjusting anything.  If it's the stands going with a shoulder mount rig might allow for the cameramans body to act as a stabilizer.

I don't know of any shockmounts for cameras like you can get for microphones.  Some cameras have decent optical image stabilization in the lens, but it can only do so much.  Some cameras use a combination of optical and digital on camera to improve things.  Normally the better the camera, the better the end result.  But not all things are created equal.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »
Cameras have it built into them.  It's called image stabilization.  Beyond that you can do some correction in post with digital stabilization.  aka deshaker.  And various other gadgets to help the camcorder out at the point of capture.  Heavy tripod, fancy heads for super smooth pans and such.  Monopod, shoulder rig, remote only operation and other things to take the shake makers out of the picture.

It's taking a while to download over dialup.  But your codec is already suffering from stabilization issues in the first 7 seconds.  You could get a wide angle lens and get closer to the subject to take some of that issue out of the picture.  Or just don't use zoom, or as much zoom.  It looks like the heart beat is translating through the tripod, or the platform/stands are being shaken by the people on it, or the PA system.  If it's the heart beat, don't touch the tripod if you're not adjusting anything.  If it's the stands going with a shoulder mount rig might allow for the cameramans body to act as a stabilizer.

I don't know of any shockmounts for cameras like you can get for microphones.  Some cameras have decent optical image stabilization in the lens, but it can only do so much.  Some cameras use a combination of optical and digital on camera to improve things.  Normally the better the camera, the better the end result.  But not all things are created equal.

The issue is bass notes from the PA blurring the image on the camera.  I'm less concerned with the large movements caused by handling or someone bumping the stand/tripod.  With multicam shoots you can edit around that.   For me its finding a good way to isolate the camera from the vibration from the PA.  No amount of post will fix the blur that occurs within a single frame and optical stabilization is not designed to correct it either.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline Josh P

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
This recommendation has worked the best for me...

I had this same problem at the venue I do a lot of filming at.  The floor is wooden and has a lot of give.  I ended up buying some foam flotation inserts from the local dive shop.  I glued two of them together so the thickness is now about 1.5 inches.  It has eliminated the problem.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »
A foam pad like that could soften the blows.  I've gone shoulder rig myself(spider brace 2), with a monopod assist(ace bandaged to the center handle).  The combination of which I figured would be cheaper than any fluid head.  And if I need cushioning the rest point of the monopod could be my foot.  Fits nicely into theater seating and other tight spaces as well.  Granted that you can't just set it and forget it like you could a tripod.

I don't know if it's the bass of the PA in that footage.  It should have affected more camera angles than just that center one.  And it should have been more regular(kick drum / bass line).  Granted that extra zoom makes things worse by a multiplier.  But still, it should have been more globally affected.  i.e. common to all/most cams if that was the real issue.  I'm not saying not a major influence, but not the only factor IMO.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:32:01 AM »
A foam pad like that could soften the blows.  I've gone shoulder rig myself(spider brace 2), with a monopod assist(ace bandaged to the center handle).  The combination of which I figured would be cheaper than any fluid head.  And if I need cushioning the rest point of the monopod could be my foot.  Fits nicely into theater seating and other tight spaces as well.  Granted that you can't just set it and forget it like you could a tripod.

I don't know if it's the bass of the PA in that footage.  It should have affected more camera angles than just that center one.  And it should have been more regular(kick drum / bass line).  Granted that extra zoom makes things worse by a multiplier.  But still, it should have been more globally affected.  i.e. common to all/most cams if that was the real issue.  I'm not saying not a major influence, but not the only factor IMO.

It impacted all the angles at times.  I tried to cut around it where I could.  If you could see the source HD footage the impact of the bass is clear.  Watch things like the JBL logo on the guitar amp.  It blurs on many of the bass notes.  There is some variability in how the different angles were impacted because of differing tripod/stand combination, so some are worse than others.  But the problem is pretty consistent.  Some is also related to the crappy floor in the venue.  It is a bit bouncy and transferred the vibration up the stand.  The foam thing sounds like a good cheap thing to try.  We'll see if it makes much difference.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
It's also a function of mass.  A little 6oz cam on a 10oz tripod isn't really going to matter how padded it is from the floor.  If it's not braced in some other way.  Padding plus a little extra weight on the tripod might help.  It might not eliminate the issue, but you should have less footage on the cutting room floor.

As I think of DIY ways to do this.  Pillows / life jackets?  Rolls of quarters taped all over at key points.  Feet / midway / center column.

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
Someone posted a link a long time ago to some custom-made cushions for tripod legs that could be purchased online.   Maybe the post is still there if you search back far enough.   What I have been using is strips of carpeting, folded over 2 or 3 times and taped together, then placing those under the tripod legs.   Not a cure-all, but it has been a noticeable improvement.

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »
Are you using canon hv30s ?i had the same problem,it was solved by cutting a walmart temperpedic memory foam pillow into 3 big chunks and placing them beneath the tripod legs.

Offline morsteen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
I have the same problem, only way worse since I'm recording metal!  I have a canon hf200 which is a little thing.  I tried some padding with some of our band shirts folded up underneath, and it helped but it was still there.  Has anyone done the memory foam cut from a pillow and really had success?

Offline dizzy_geek

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »
I have the same problem, only way worse since I'm recording metal!  I have a canon hf200 which is a little thing.  I tried some padding with some of our band shirts folded up underneath, and it helped but it was still there.  Has anyone done the memory foam cut from a pillow and really had success?

I've used memory foam before but it didn't make much of a difference. You could try something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/202159-REG/Celestron_93503_Vibration_Suppression_Pads_useful.html
although the price is quite high for what it is. As mentioned previously in this thread, I think a heavy tripod would help a bit also, maybe 12-15 lbs or so.

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 12:56:54 AM »
Memory foam definetely works,i use it everytime i use the tripod. You have to use thicker chunks if your still getting vibration. Or maybe also a more heavyduty tripod.Add a backpack to your tripod ,hang it from the middle of tripod legs somehow and put weight inside...10 to 15pounds will do.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 01:06:40 AM »
1) Buy a typical Shockmount that will fit on your stand and hold wieght of camera and extra mount (see next).
2) Buy a Wooden dowel that is long enough to hold you camera above the top of stand so you have clearance, yet still is stabile in the shock mount.
3) Buy a stud to fit into the top of the dowel so you can mount your camera on it.
4) mount camera on dowel, in mount, on stand, at show, and record.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com