Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR1 - Battery replace  (Read 38898 times)

Offline inkyblackness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Korg MR1 - Battery replace
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
Hi, I need to replace the battery in a dead MR1 but info is scarce.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Korg MR1 - Battery replace
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:38 AM »
While not a low cost solution, my company makes a very, very long running series of portable deck powering solutions. 

So, if your deck still has a still working, but old and now way too low capacity internal rechargeable battery, THEN always using an external battery capable of both internal battery recharging while also fully running the deck is an option.

Then no need to replace the internal battery, just always use a reliable external power source having large capacity.

See these powering solutions at: http://www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#bcmr1
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
I think the "official" answer is to contact Korg to replace the battery. I have opened up my MR-1 and if I remember correctly, the battery is plugged in there pretty securely. I'm not sure if it's glued or something, but because it didn't come out with a firm tug, I didn't want to chance it.

Having technical service replace it will probably be costly. If space is not a problem, you can get away with an external battery pack. Korg was supplying a battery pack for free for a while there, but you can get one for about $14 I think. It simply takes 4 AA batteries and it is pretty tiny.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543019-REG/Korg_BATPACKMR1_4_AA_External_Battery_Pack.html

If you want something that lasts longer and is rechargeable, you can get a USB LiIon battery, but you have to make sure the one you get can supply 5V, and 1 A (most ipod packs supply around 500 mA).

I use this one:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/macally-ip-a481-external-li-ion-battery-for-ipod/

and it works well. It is not in production anymore, but you can find them on eBay for about $20-30. You will need a cable to link it to the MR-1. You can either make one yourself, or this one is cheap and fits:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8693
(The company is in China, and it takes about 1-2 wk for shipment, but they are reliable and CHEAP!).

Hi, I need to replace the battery in a dead MR1 but info is scarce.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:16:06 AM by tedyun »
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
The MR1 is "futureproof" - the internal battery eventually fails, so it won't work in the future ;)

If the internal battery has failed (as you describe) it is a bad idea to try and force charge it by feeding the unit external power.   That assumes that the power connector also feeds the charging circuit and that it cannot be disabled (as it does on the microtrack - I don't know if that is the case on the mr1).

First, you would lose a lot of your external power driving the charging circuit.  Second, you risk a lithium battery malfunction that could be dramatic.

Ideally, send it to Korg for service.   Or at least disconnect the internal battery.

Not surprisingly, Korg doesn't seem to mention battery replacement on their website... I did find this bleak post:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43691&sid=29cc2888310b3366ab761a8b04e7b98b

On March 26, 2009, I sent my MR-1 recorder in to have the internal lithium battery replaced. On May 12, 2009, the service center completed the battery replacement. Korg Parts was unable to ship the replacement battery to the service center for installation into the MR-1 recorder any sooner. It cost $68.95 for the internal lithium battery only (I did not include the labor cost to replace the battery).

There was a sudden diminishing of the charge capacity of my MR-1 after the PC board failed. I would avoid using the external battery pack (containing 4 AA batteries) with this recorder as much as possible. If the internal battery runs down completely during extended operation with the external battery pack, the MR-1 stops recording (thus, causing you to lose the file being recorded) and the MR-1 then remains in a state of suspended operation. This remaining on by the MR-1 could cause damage to its PC board (that is, failure by your PC to recognize your MR-1 through the USB) and dimished life of MR-1's internal lithium battery (the recorder becomes noticibly warm to the touch during this state of suspended operation). It is my opinion that that is what happened to my MR-1 recorder, that is, use of the external battery pack prevented the MR-1 from shutting down properly after the internal battery lost its charge (for example, proper shut down would be to not lose the recorded file and to protect both the PC board and internal battery from damage).

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
Most times the internal lithium battery has not failed, but has lost enough capacity to not be useful for even 1 hour or less recording time.  So recharging/runtime both lasts for shorter time, and connecting up an external portable battery to run the deck and keep the internal battery at whatever is possible charge is not a liability in this case.

I have at times detractors of my external battery solutions with way too often post self-serving comments bogging down a discussion thread.

For those who wish to add any type of commentary about my powering products suggest a better place than an inquiry thread named "HIGHWAY ROBBERY" found in the TS Retail Section at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83618.0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:55:14 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
I'm not sure if your post was directed at me or at Freelunch -- the grammar is a bit hard to follow.

I think the bottom line from my and Freelunch's posts was to contact Korg (either an authorized dealer or the company directly) to replace the battery. I believe this is the safest, yet most costly solution. I am baffled as to how these posts are self-serving because the only party that would benefit from our advice is Korg.

I suggested other external solutions in addition to your battery sled, and my intent was to be helpful in highlighting relatively low cost solutions to the OP's problem in case the service quote from Korg would be too expensive.

I thought Freelunch's post was very informative and will make me think twice about plugging in an external source if I know that the battery has failed. I had not realized the unit could be damaged in this situation.

Guy, I have nothing but respect for your products and the information you provide from your testing.  I have some recordings in my collection made with your mics/preamp that are stunning. Also, I constantly referred to your reviews when shopping for the MR-1 and with the R-09/09HR.

Personally, I feel that your products are priced for a different market than the hobbyist concert taper, especially when there are high value options available for mics, preamps, and external power, however, I do not feel it is my place to tell you how to set your price points. You have obviously found a market and can support your business with it. I wish you best of luck on your continued success in producing these high quality products, and I also hope that you will continue providing your opinions and reviews to the community.

Most times the internal lithium battery has not failed, but has lost enough capacity to not be useful for even 1 hour or less recording time.  So recharging/runtime both lasts for shorter time, and connecting up an external portable battery to run the deck and keep the internal battery at whatever is possible charge is not a liability in this case.

I have at times detractors of my external battery solutions with way too often post self-serving comments bogging down a discussion thread.

For those who wish to add any type of commentary about my powering products suggest a better place than an inquiry thread named "HIGHWAY ROBBERY" found in the TS Retail Section at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83618.0
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
Sorry for not being more clear, and NO direct comment on any of the helpful posts in this thread.  However, invitation to comment in the Retail Section was prompted by another current TS thread rave(s) about my sleds posting.

Some MR1 power specifications most helpful to many seeking information on what it takes to externally power this deck can be found in the tech review on my site at:
www.sonicstudios.com/mr1revw.htm

Offline inkyblackness

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 05:44:53 AM »
Thanks for all your input and suggestions. It's much appreciated. i delayed responding
as I wanted to include Korg's response and here's what they said:

"Hi
You need a CR2032 lithium battery.
Take the top of the rack off and you will see the battery on the inside."

Regards, Mike Molloy, Korg UK LTD - Technical Support, incorporating Samson, Vox and Hartke products,

Pretty good eh? :) I bought the CR2032 battery but there is a problem. The original battery is easily removeable, it almost falls
out of the MR1 when you open it. It's a hard-wired rectangular unit rated 3.7V 2000mAH whereas the CR2032 is circular and 3V.
I'll try and source an original 3.7V and report back. I understand that Korg charge around £40 to fit a replacement, maybe it's
because they don't know what they're doing.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »
A quick search reveals a korg m1r product that takes a cr2032.

http://www.polynominal.com/site/studio/gear/synth/korg_m1r/index.html

runonce

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Isnt a cr2032 just a watch battery...?

Its the same thing that keeps your clock and bios settings on you motherboard...Its not the battery that powers the unit.

But - I suppose its possible that some stuff might malfunction if this battery were to go dead...(perhaps making the other battery appear dead or fail to charge properly)

Offline inkyblackness

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:25 AM »
Yes, the CR2032 is a watch battery. I've attached a photo of the MR1 breakdown.
The battery on the right is definitely not a CR2032.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
Suggest sending your photo to Korg tech service getting the correct battery info this time. 

Good to see at least the original battery made in Japan where QA is usually better than some other places making original/after market lithiums.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
My battery holds its charge for about an hour now.
But I still love this recorder.
They USED to have info on their website about replacement, but the M1 is discontinued now....
Would love to be able to just pop it open and put in a new battery.
An hour is enough time to get get your tape started, but then you have to remember to plug it in before the end of the set.

Truly annoying with all those cables and wires...
But like has been mentioned here: if the battery holds a charge for an hour or so, that's enough to keep your recorder working for a while.
But EVENTUALLY it will be like my @#$%ing laptop and as soon as I unplug it, it will say "battery empty: shut down" so replacing that internal is pretty important.

once again, lost in all the noise

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
So...
Looks like the MR-1 is now out of business.
They were going cheap for a while, but now out of stock everywhere...

Makes me miss them.
Any news on that battery from Korg, or did we start trying to replace the batteries and they decided to pull the unit instead of that.
Because now I want to buy a handful of $69 batteries!

Heh.

THAT'S all it took for me to like the thing?
once again, lost in all the noise

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Looks like the MR-1 is now out of business.

The mr2 is only $700.  Future-proof!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com