Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR1 - Battery replace  (Read 38875 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: Korg MR1 - Battery replace
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »
I still want to know how to get the battery replaced on one of these.
There is, as far as I can tell, no way to find out from Korg.

Anyone else tried to find this info?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline KSI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
the internal battery of my MR-1 has the following specifications:

3.7V, 2000mAh, ~44g

and the frame for the battery is 53 x 38 x 10 mm.

The NP-120 / D-L17 / DB-43 batteries (used e.g. for FujiFilm FinePix F11 camera) have very similar specs:

3.6-3.7V, 1600-2200mAh, ~43-48g

and

53 x 35,3 x 11 mm

Whether the battery really works in the MR-1 I don't know, however. I have not tried it, because the battery of my MR-1 is still OK.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »
That's interesting.

Well, the real fun all happens when you try to contact Korg.
I'm pretty sure that we will all be trying to hack new batteries into these in a few years...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that we will all be trying to hack new batteries into these in a few years...

Futureproof!!

Offline jozifkwan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
Good day,

I have the same problem and my battery can not stand for over an hour now. Anyone sort out the battery replacement

Offline dain45yl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »
Sorry for not being more clear, and NO direct comment on any of the helpful posts in this thread.  However, invitation to comment in the Retail Section was prompted by another current TS thread rave(s) about my sleds posting.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
Sorry for not being more clear, and NO direct comment on any of the helpful posts in this thread.  However, invitation to comment in the Retail Section was prompted by another current TS thread rave(s) about my sleds posting.

Yeah, I have an MR-1, and most folks rig up a battery pack that will feed it the equivilent of USB power to the power jack and keep on using it with external power. Since the internal battery is a real bear to change, it's pay Korg, or go the external route.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 05:56:10 PM »
They USED to have info on their website about replacement, but the M1 is discontinued now....

Wayback machine?
I don't know on which sub-site  the battery info was, maybe this can jog your memory?
http://web.archive.org/web/20071028001710/http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MR1&category_id=3
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline RTD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
hmm...did anyone made a progress to replace the internal battery of the MR-1. Mine is useless Meanwhile. When I´m trying to charge it It need to be USB connected but it doesn´t charge anyway.
There must be a f.... way... ::)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
I'm currently out of $, so I won't be doing this, but I sure do love this recorder.

My advice is simple: Guitar Center is the only local store that seems to have Korg connections.
Since you can't contact Korg directly, get GC to do it for you. MAKE someone call up Korg and try to find someone who will replace the battery.
Its supposed to cost $80. IF you can find anyone who will do it, try to get as many of the batteries as possible before they are gone.
I'll bet that here in this thread alone you would find a marketplace for 100 of them.

Good Hunting!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
My advice is simple: Guitar Center is the only local store that seems to have Korg connections.
Since you can't contact Korg directly, get GC to do it for you. MAKE someone call up Korg and try to find someone who will replace the battery.
Its supposed to cost $80. IF you can find anyone who will do it, try to get as many of the batteries as possible before they are gone.
I'll bet that here in this thread alone you would find a marketplace for 100 of them.

The problem is...... Shipping those batteries, and devices with those batteries, is restricted.  They are often prohibited.  Even if allowed, it is only with a significant additional charge.

I was going to offer to replace a bunch of microtrack batteries for folks, but then I got to thinking.. What if one blows up? Ultimately, I don't want that liability.

Offline KSI

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
hmm...did anyone made a progress to replace the internal battery of the MR-1. Mine is useless Meanwhile. When I´m trying to charge it It need to be USB connected but it doesn´t charge anyway.
There must be a f.... way... ::)

Some days ago, I had the intention to try and replace the internal battery by the following battery:

Fuji FinePix 603 3,7V, 1800mAh/6,7Wh, Li-Ion

But: when I opened the frame of the MR-1 internal battery in order to see where the cable goes, I found that there is some extra electronics included in the battery, and I don't know its purpose. So I decided to stop at that point.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
What are the codes on the chips?

Could be the charging circuit (although I would think more leads would be required to provide status back to the DSP - i.e. update the meters and charging status - I guess the DSP could guess at this using a current and voltage sense circuit). LiPoly cells need to be managed a bit to keep stable with one another so it could be a balancing circuit as well.

Also are there any codes on the Cell's them selves?  It may be possible to swap out the cells
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:25:41 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »
http://www.batteriesplus.com

Find one of these places locally.  They really are good.  I have used them for several devices and they have the ability to custom build packs.  My guess is that circuit board is a charge regulator or balancing circuit for charging.  You could probably pull a part number from the Ic and figure out what it does with a quick google search  They can build you a pack with the old board and a coupe of new cells.  Might not cost you nearly as much as you think 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
If anyone has use for it, here's a good overview of the guts:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145604.msg1874172#msg1874172

But: when I opened the frame of the MR-1 internal battery in order to see where the cable goes, I found that there is some extra electronics included in the battery, and I don't know its purpose.

That's the protection circuit, but I guess it serves a purpose for distributing charge too.
Good idea by H2O to keep the PCB and just replace the individual cells.
Looks like the single 1000mAh cells are PL603450 (http://www.batteryspace.com/Other-Size-Polymer-Li-Ion-Batteries----UL-listed-Cell.aspx)
There's an equivalent single cell called PL113450 (2000mah) that fits the dimensions too. Seems to be rarer though, only found it on Chinese web sites

The parts are damn cheap, retail price in China for one cell is RMB16 (less than $3).

The best bet would probably be to hit up batteryspace.com (or any of the other retailers selling PL603450) , e-mail them this thread with pictures of the guts, and ask if they could reverse-engineer this battery. They might decide to sell it in their web shop or do a custom group order for TS.com.
Anybody with contacts at Batteryspace???
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com