Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR1 - Battery replace  (Read 38900 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Korg MR1 - Battery replace
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 10:51:07 PM »
Don't know why you fight it!!!  Sony M10  :jawdrop:
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »
I love the MR-1 - It is the only real handheld recorder with balanced inputs (microtrack is a toy).  It supports up to 24/192 and all the Sample rates in between that and 16/44.1 in addition to DSD.

All of my preamp's (except my PSP-2) are balanced only (NT222, Grace Lunatec 316 Custom)

I do have an M10 as well.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »
Good point!  The internal battery would be to much of a PIA for me. 

I love the MR-1 - It is the only real handheld recorder with balanced inputs (microtrack is a toy).  It supports up to 24/192 and all the Sample rates in between that and 16/44.1 in addition to DSD.

All of my preamp's (except my PSP-2) are balanced only (NT222, Grace Lunatec 316 Custom)

I do have an M10 as well.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:13 AM »
I haven't taken my MR1 apart to look at the logistics, but has anyone thought about:
- removing the old battery,
- keep that little circuit board, and
- run wires that went to the old battery outside to a pair of 18650's mounted on the back? 

2 of them in parallel would be 5200mah, so it would last a long time.  Using the built in charging circuit it would charge slowly, taking about 2.5x as long, but I can live with that.  I don't think it would overwork the charging circuit, it would just do what it could, right?

I too like the MR1 for balanced inputs, and a hard drive.  What else is there?  R4 and 722?  R4 is kinda big, and 722 is kinda expensive.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
The microtrack will not work, even on external power, once the battery dies.  I had hoped it would.  I also wondered it if would work on external power once the battery was removed/snipped.  It does not.  Hopefully the mr1 behaves differently.

I'm not convinced the balanced is worth much.  After the microtrack, I wonder whether it is even balanced.  Some mics "fake" balance.  Korg probably didn't fake it, but I am less trusting than I once was.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »
I'm not quite talking about "removing" the battery from the circuit.  I'm talking about replacing it with another larger one which happens to be mounted outside.  I'm wondering if increasing storage by a factor of 2.5x effects the circuit in strange ways.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 03:24:35 PM »
I'm not quite talking about "removing" the battery from the circuit.  I'm talking about replacing it with another larger one which happens to be mounted outside.  I'm wondering if increasing storage by a factor of 2.5x effects the circuit in strange ways.

This does sound like a good idea.
I wish I was someone who could even try it.
I opened up the one I have that has a batter that holds a charge for 12 mins today and had a good look.
It is one solid piece of equipment, that's for sure. Yup the tape over the switches on the top was a great idea!
The battery and hard drive are easily removable.
No issue with the HD. Its plenty big enough. The battery and case moved around easily enough, but to remove the battery and run wires outside... you would need to put something in place of the old battery, just to stop the HD from moving around. You COULD easily run the wire to an external battery using the same wire, but basically it would be easier to find a solid external and plug it in like iGene's solution a few pages back...

Once I get some money and time I think I will look into H2O's idea about replacing the individual cells.
If anyone goes any further, please post!

Thanks!

jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline KSI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 05:18:57 AM »
I have consulted an electric engineer, who took a look at the MR-1 battery,
so first some more info on this. The battery cell has the following identification (img 1):

Sony Fukushima SEW
  US473850 A8T
  02B80F30G

We searched for this cell on the web, and it seems that the cell is used in many different applications. However, it looks like it is only possible to order the cells in packs of at least several hundred pieces. So, I think they are not meant for end users.

Another important point the engineer mentioned is that when replacing the two cells by new ones, it is very important that the replacement cells are a "matched pair" (you probably know this principle from matched Mics for stereo recording).

The other part of the MR-1 battery is the small electronics, and the codes on the chips are (img 2):

G2PN
  WB 6E2

We couldn't find out much on the web on these - maybe someone else is more lucky.

So now to my battery replacement. A while ago I had purchased the battery

Replace NP-120
  for Fuji FinePix 603 3,7V, 1800mAh/6,7Wh, Li-Ion
  (Replace DB-43 D-Li7 NP-120 BP-1500S)

as a replacement battery in the MR-1.

The egineer encouraged me to try to replace the two battery cells and put instead the single cell form the battery NP-120 - on my own risk, of course.

So we took the battery apart, and he mounted the new single cell on where the old two cells where mounted (img 3). As the old cells where mounted directly in parallel onto the electronics, mounting a single cell instead should be possible.  After the egineer had soldered the new cell onto the electronics of the old MR-1 battery, we packed the new cell back into its original case, and put that into the frame of the old cell (img 4, had to cut the original case in length a little). Then I mounted the battery into the MR-1 (img 5) and tried it out. It worked.

A test recording with the fully charged new internal battery gave me a recording time of 1h25Min. With the old battery I only had 3 Minutes! So up to now the replacement seems successful.

I played in a concert last week and took a recording - worked, and another rehearsal session during the week - worked. Up to now I'm quite happy with the replacement.

But I should also say that I never would have tried this without an experienced person.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
Well done!   Thanks for documenting your effort.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »
Totally Excellent Post!

So you are saying that you now have ONLY 1h25mins, or that you have gotten that much so far...

How much did all this cost? (because I'd bet more people would like to try it!)

Thanks again!

jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline KSI

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 04:48:09 AM »
So you are saying that you now have ONLY 1h25mins, or that you have gotten that much so far...

The battery is not a new one. I purchased it already about a year ago, and maybe it wasn't completely new at that time either.

However, also when I purchased the MR-1 the battery life was not much more than about 1h 30Min, either, so from that point of view, the replacement battery is not too bad, I think.

Of course, you can probably still find some better replacement cells. I just took these ones, because I already had them.

How much did all this cost? (because I'd bet more people would like to try it!)

The battery was not that expensive, about 15 Euro, and the engineer did me a favour' (and I took the full responsibility onto my own shoulders).  The whole work took maybe 1-2 hours, plus the time for the internet search (didn't check the watch).

Offline andrea doria

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »
i've cut the cables of the original batt. and soldered on the ends a quite normal 5$ fp120 battery. the machine runs now since more than half a year in every day work and has internal batt. runtime of ca. 75 min. (looks like these batt.s have ca. 1000ma); i think the platines in those batteries are the usual 'bms' (battery management system) needed in most li ions.

batt. problem now is done, it's easy to solder. protect the open machine against dust and fizzly hot material.

another: my two mr1 both are becoming a bit warm running on external batt. pack usb in or ac in, i think after ca. 60 minutes. i'm doing 15-30 minute takes. so it's no problem, it's time enough to load and to cool down between the takes. worth questioning for same experience.

first Mr1 runs with hd, second with the mtron 32gb, both without probs till the medium is full.

yes, the balanced mono ins are outstanding, pcm1804 in such a small device, straight system-software too, feel no need for exchange.

Offline andrea doria

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
the warming up phenomen leads to running MR1s without bag. one has original Korg battery (now after years runtime 40 mins, next ripe for exchange), second the fp120 replacement, both same warming up.

here as newcomer i thank Ted for spending and driving best Korg discours.

Offline KSI

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
first Mr1 runs with hd, second with the mtron 32gb, both without probs till the medium is full.

Do you record in DSD format onto the MTRON SSD without any problems?

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
Thanks for posting your experiences!

Can you send a link to the battery -- do you mean the fuji np120?

And if you have pictures of how to solder that battery, that would be very helpful too....

the warming up phenomen leads to running MR1s without bag. one has original Korg battery (now after years runtime 40 mins, next ripe for exchange), second the fp120 replacement, both same warming up.

here as newcomer i thank Ted for spending and driving best Korg discours.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.466 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com