Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR1 - Battery replace  (Read 38884 times)

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Korg MR1 - Battery replace
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
I did this mod a while back and have been running it, although lately, I haven't been taking it out in the field. No problems recording DSD onto the MTRON SSD. I've recorded concerts about 2 hr long. I usually reformat the drive before using it.

It really doesn't give you any benefit going with the SSD, aside from the "no moving parts" bragging rights. The effect on battery life is minimal. If you are looking to increase storage, an HDD would give you more value.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=93710.msg1669503

If you are intent on going the SSD route, I'm not sure if MTRON makes the SSD's anymore. If you go with another manufacturer, make sure you choose an SSD with SLC flash media. In the discussion in that thread, we surmised that MLC media doesn't seem to allow DSD recording.

first Mr1 runs with hd, second with the mtron 32gb, both without probs till the medium is full.

Do you record in DSD format onto the MTRON SSD without any problems?
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline KSI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
No problems recording DSD onto the MTRON SSD. I've recorded concerts about 2 hr long. I usually reformat the drive before using it

Thanks a lot for this! I have not really decided yet to replace the original HD, but at some stage I think I will, then it is good to have some informations at hand.

But to come back to the topic of this thread: My battery replacement (see above) still works fine, but I usally make use of external batteries for recordings longer than 1hr.

Offline andrea doria

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Hi Ted,

yes i did pictures, but had no succes in uploading here (needing help).

soldering is easy. cut the cables off near the batt., do two big soldering drops on the fp120 + and - contacts in good distance from open mr1 (it's a quite normal no name fp120 for fuji and others around 5$). measure the two cables from mr1 batt to define the + - poles.  the fp120 has 3 contacts. ignore the middle position. the black mr1 cable goes to the outside contact of the fp120, the red mr1 cable to the third fp120 contact positioned not direct on the other outside. so it's mine (measure it yourself). fill the empty space in the mr1 housing with two folded pieces of allround kitchen cleaning paper to avoid electric contact and batt. rumbling in the moved machine. the fp120 has like other camera batts an inbuilt power management system defining loading and working limits. the mr1 loads it and works it down after that system. think You can take every other 3,7v managed batt, it's a question of size.

***  think it's worth looking for a good running and not oversized ext. batt. solution. the inward batt runs for shorter takes and remains necessary for all ext. solutions because both power entrances (usb, ac) aren't saved against interruption like the hirose connected pro gear, sd, sqn and others; but they all are much much bigger; and the mr1 entrances are more professional defined as the small nagras. if you use good or better portable preamps you don't need the doubles in the big bags. and if you can't pay smiling guys carring it, than mr1 is unbeatable and a really necessary starting a possible future layout; no 3,5mm jack per se is kidish, but every stereo jack. ***

some words to the mtron. i think, Ted, its good running with mr1 is (YOUR) great observation. one of mine mr1 hitachi hds did writing tickle noisy hearable in a circle of 2m around the mics. i need essentially an organic silence in the recording and the monitoring haedphones. trickle trickle, Korg didn't select the hds. in one is a quiet hd, other plays with fingernails on the desk. another single bought exchangement zip hitachi sounded above 6 khz like a small intriguing bagpipe, and the zip hds are going out like the zip mlrs, so the price for mine (used) mtron 32gb mlr went down year ago to 42 €.

and the ssd works nearly elegant. starts and shuts tree times faster, copies fastest. gives a better feeling in hands, especially in the field. runs with all formats till it's full, mtron is more long time reliable (if for 100 years i hope to experience it).

in long lasting field work i wrote it full. easy rule: never delete tracks from portable devices, to risk no fragmentation. when it's necessary, format it. every morning formating comes from older times small media capacities and from craftsmen religion. a newly formated disk is not "empty" like an unexposed film.   

who can show us a newer small sized device with pro ad conversion (pcm is excellent too on mr1) and balanced line ins, yes, remember: two balanced mono 3,5mm line ins, two mono with choosable 3v plugin power feeding p.e. two mono dpas for who likes it minimized?? such an extreme solution today?  who did it before? 

remaining - encore - mr1 batt desaster.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
and the zip hds are going out like the zip mlrs, so the price for mine (used) mtron 32gb mlr went down year ago to 42 €.

Wish I could find a deal like that  :o   They sell new for $200

I did pick up a Samsung 64GB SSD and could never get consistent results above 24bit 88.1Khz with the MR-1 (above this it would fail to write some of the files)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline andrea doria

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
hi H2O,

one year ago i saw 5 or more mtrons used around 40, 50 €. mine was 42. possibly korg users now are the last zip slc users.   

i don't think ssd speed is in question. in dslr cameras cheap, slow and normal 2, 4, 6 class cf or sd cards are writing 6, 7, 8, 10 times faster 1080p streams, 350 mb per minute. a slc mtron could write a monstrous uncompressed 4k video stream. mr1 writes eight minute dsd takes of 340 mb.

possibly the samsung is a mlc? Ted described the mlc problem.   

it's a case of compatibilty, will say: not of speed.

try the another kind of zip cable, termination is different, not even the mtron slc uses the korg zip cable. zip was a short living connection, ripened to a half standard. we're lucky to find running slc format thx Ted. the korg engineer, happy to get a hitachi to write, hasn't thought about changing it out later. zip hd and internal li-ion batt was 2005-06 a best and expensif solution.

nobody would have designed such an ad conversion in a small minimalistic device without the nearly idealistic dsd ambition. myself heretically nowadays turned the korgs back to more real 24/48 pcm, doubting other people around me will use audiogate today or in the next aeon to recognize unknown file formats. burr brown pcm1804 does an excellent pcm wav job. in audiogate nothing better could be implemented. audio programmers correct me.

what we can get from minimizing techniques like the nice little korg machines is a more near awareness and understanding of our own voices and their for us mostly unknown interferences.

Offline Tak Kuratsuwa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Hi

I tried to replace the KORG original internal battery with NP-120 batteries but can not achieve more than 30 minute recording time after a full charge.

the following is the how the new battery is connected to the battery controller. The connecting cables are soldered to the battery and the controller.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdd30zforc6njti/2013-02-24%2021.19.52.jpg?m
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq290za4x5b8r8z/2013-02-24%2021.20.22.jpg?m

With this mod I have achieved only 30 min. recording time. I used a no bland NP-120.
I decided to test other NP-120 batteries I bought for the GNS NAVI GPS mouse. I put solder balls at the ends of the cables from the battery controller and fixed them on the + and - contact surfaces of the battery with addhisive tapes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2f6jc7nf686tzd/2013-02-28%2001.04.33.jpg?m

With this three year old battery, which I did not used in the past, I only achieved 20 minute battery life after 7 hour full charge, ie automaic stopping of charging the battery with 3 bars on the battery icon. Strang thing is that the battery voltage measures at 3.98-3.99V after the MR-1 stop recording with no bar in the battery icon.

I charged these batteries in the GPS mouse, connecting it to a USB port on my PC. After 4-5 hours the voltage was 4.2V.
I put the charged battery in the MR-1 but the MR-1 did not start.

Another problem: After taking the MR-1 apart, I found a very thin copper strip on the floor. It is shown on some of the photos in this thread and alos in the Chinese website showing how to change the HD to SSD. It say one end should touch a silber sheet on the bottom case but does no say about the other end. After googling I have encountered a description " a floating copper strip for grounding." Can somebody show where the other end should touch or should not?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c30awhuocngxqe5/2013-02-25%2002.42.44.jpg?m

I would appreciate it very much for any imput you could make for solving this problem.

thanks Tak

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
So after ALL THE RUNAROUND korg has done while i tried to replace the battery, I finally found a
Place that would let me order one.

$103 Plus shipping.

http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-rechargable-battery-mr-1-500520002900

I paid them, now let's see if korg will actually send them the part.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

So after ALL THE RUNAROUND korg has done while i tried to replace the battery, I finally found a
Place that would let me order one.

$103 Plus shipping.

http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-rechargable-battery-mr-1-500520002900

I paid them, now let's see if korg will actually send them the part.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
Just got the invoice for $6.99 and they should ship today. I guess I'll have to resurrect some threads soon.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:28 PM »
Well.
Looks like the batteries are definitely not exactly the same as the originals, but appear to be the same size.
Looks like a weekend of taking things apart.
Funny, I registered my mr1, followed all the rules, replied to the korg guy when he entered the forum, but they were just never going to replace those batteries or ever, no matter what they said.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to use an external battery pack?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »
Oh I do. But the battery in my best one only holds a 7 minute charge. And you want it to at least have an hour or so.
I just got don reading a million posts on the subject and it's funny. I hadn't even thought of replacing the hard drive, but that's what was on everyone's mind.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
A few days before I get to deal with this.
I always use the Battery Pack plugged in to the MR1, but saw tedyun's post about this battery:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Macally/JBOXMINI/

I'll need a USB > MR1 battery jack for this, anyone have suggestions or tips about this?
I'd like the thinnest cable I can find.

Thanks!

Offline MIKE7999

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2016, 04:48:40 PM »
even with korg MR1 problems is new old stock still in the box worth $350.00 or is there too much trouble with box?

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
Wow.
Well, THREE YEAR LATER...

I have just finished replacing the batteries in 2 of my MR1s, it was so easy that I can't believe it took me so long to do it!
I think my romance with the ocmR44 and its low noise floor and 4 channels was the problem. But I had a low-pro show that required something small and so I got these going and I can't believe how much I love them. Carrying 2 R44s around is HEAVY, but 4 stereo channels that sync up is pretty great.

Here's the best forum picture of the old battery:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145604.msg1874157#msg1874157

Now the question I'm wondering is, has technology gotten us far enough that I could get the cells replaced in the 500520002900 lithium battery I removed instead of buying another 500520002900 as a special order for $103 plus shipping if it even exists?

After an overnight charge, the new (3-year-old) batteries I installed held a decent charge for over an hour (at least) but I didn't test them full-to-empty.
I used the 4 AA battery pack that Korg sold way back after the internal battery became its Achilles Heel, with some older Eneloop batteries in it and was able to get 3.5 hours of recording DSDIFF time as well as an afternoon of playback the next day. Not too bad, but I'd really like to be able to get some fresh lithium battery action inside that internal battery pack!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:59:01 PM by jb63 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com