Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR1 - Battery replace  (Read 38882 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: Korg MR1 - Battery replace
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
Well, I'm wrapping up the summer taping using two R44s again. Plus some whacky stuff to use 2 digital preamps, and I have to point out that the Achilles Heel of the R44 is the double volume knob that adjusts only in increments of 6 db. The korg MR1's individual inputs are fantastic and the unit is so light! I really think all the fuss about putting in a bigger hard drive was a mistake and it's putting in a better battery that we should have been looking into.

Has anyone had any luck finding a battery store that refurbishes lithium batteries?
Can that even be done?
How long should lithium batteries last?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline andrea doria

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
to reanimate the old thread:

I use two MR1s since 2010 sooften I'm too lazy for equipment, and did meantime loads of takes after the mtron ssd mod (runs totally quiet and reliable) and after a simply exchange of batteries. batteries for me aren't that problem of the machine, using everytime external solutions, mostly a 4x18650 2A powerbank into the dc in. lasts endless, in 7 years never reached to empty it on a workers day. For intern rugged solutions the space is too narrow. Look to fix together reliably the MR1 and the powerbank, may be with gaffa.

Till today the MR1 in terms of a/d conversion seems finest small machine under the Zax and Sax class. And two 3,5mm jacks balanced mono line ins are very delicate and unique, though the small machine isn't made to stay rugged outdoors in sun, rain and snow.

I confered MR1 takes sometimes with a good studio converter and can say, it's hearable quality going 1bit with later pc conversion to pcm wav is smooth enough and useable. The machine was badmouthed some years ago with irrelevant arguments may be to save the concurrencies courage.

An important weak point and price minimizer is the smallish cursor wheel, made for clean and tender ladies thumbs. From time to time will need --  no, I'll conceal.

Think the MR1 will give future years fine takes in commodius and lazy situations, if good preamps are nearby. Small machines with professional preamps now run the sound recording way. MR1 with SD 302 frontend doubles the weight of a SD Mixpre3. In 2010 it was a challenge, nowadays perfectly well responded, shurely not a last step minimizing size of great sound quality. Only the physical need for not less than 1/2 inch microphone capsules and xlr ins will stop that.

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
I still use the mr1 for rec with ext usb power and gaffa
I carry 4 bit buckets at every show I rec
3 dr2ds and 1 mr1 for my dsd addiction

I still love my mr1 and its my main mic rig.
mtron ssd mod I will look into .

g

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
Okay.

Well thanks for keeping this thread going!
I was looking into battery solutions, because I want to be able to carry 3 or 4 MR1s, each with their own preamp. For 1 I use a tinybox, so that's about the same size as the MR1, then add the Korg 4AA powering pack, and that's 3 things all wired together bigger than my fist. But that's the smallest I've ever been able to make it. If I could just trust the internal battery for 2.5 hours, then that would help a bit, but I've given up on that now. The trick is to just never let it die completely! (I guess)

What I'm looking for now is a clean preamp to the dpa4021 mics with their giant XLR connectors powered at p48 and into the MR1.

Eventually an external battery will come along that lets me plug in all 4 MR1 units and get the 2.4amps out from each, ideally it would be about the size of a DVD battery.

Right now I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-7800mAh-Digital-Display/dp/B00F02UKYE/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400700628&sr=1-8&keywords=lithium+5v+2+a+output

which gets me only one 5v 2a output, but it does the job pretty well.

Anyway.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
Okay.

Well thanks for keeping this thread going!
I was looking into battery solutions, because I want to be able to carry 3 or 4 MR1s, each with their own preamp. For 1 I use a tinybox, so that's about the same size as the MR1, then add the Korg 4AA powering pack, and that's 3 things all wired together bigger than my fist. But that's the smallest I've ever been able to make it. If I could just trust the internal battery for 2.5 hours, then that would help a bit, but I've given up on that now. The trick is to just never let it die completely! (I guess)

What I'm looking for now is a clean preamp to the dpa4021 mics with their giant XLR connectors powered at p48 and into the MR1.

Eventually an external battery will come along that lets me plug in all 4 MR1 units and get the 2.4amps out from each, ideally it would be about the size of a DVD battery.

Right now I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-7800mAh-Digital-Display/dp/B00F02UKYE/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400700628&sr=1-8&keywords=lithium+5v+2+a+output

which gets me only one 5v 2a output, but it does the job pretty well.

Anyway.

oh, look! 2 of these might do the trick!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=psdc_7073960011_t2_B071VMN1M5

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2021, 03:13:22 AM »

Found a new battery for the MR1 on Reverb for $30. Going to have to cut the connector off the old battery and solder it onto the new one.

I've never actually used mine. Got it from Smokin Joe way back when in a mic purchase. The battery had reduced in capacity so far to make it impractical to use and the DC input jack was messed up so it couldn't get a charge or use an external. It just sat in a bag for years.

Got the jack fixed and have finally sourced a replacement battery so I'm going to give it a run sometime soon.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
Welp. That didn't pan out. The battery he shipped me is about half the size of the original and is a typical RC helicopter battery that you can get for around $10.

Did some calling around to a few stores to see if they had anything even close and no real luck so I think at this point I'm going to hack an RC car battery into it by just mounting it on the back of the unit and feeding the leads through the hole left by the lost plug in power switch (it disappeared when I opened it up the first time no big deal I only plan to use it line in).

Really this is just an experiment the things been sitting on a shelf for years...

EDIT - the dude that sold me the battery didn't respond to my request for a refund (my very first less than perfect transaction there) so I thought what the heck I'll just hack this thing in there and see if it works. It does. Charged right up and everything seems to be working exactly as expected. Not a perfect fit but it doesn't rattle around with handling so I'm hopeful. It's just a 3.7 volt Li Ion battery with bare wires. You can buy them for less than 10 bucks all day long. If you have one of these sitting on a shelf due to a dead battery it can be fixed very easily. Took 5 minutes.

Going to take it out for a spin for Billy Strings on Tuesday and see how it behaves.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:18:36 AM by goodcooker »
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2021, 12:31:47 AM »
I’m interested in what kind of runtime you got.
He was saying 3 hours but I got 1.

The replacements are here:

https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/korg-mr1-lithium-ion-battery-500520002900

If they still exist. I’d order a bunch if you are interested.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »
I’m interested in what kind of runtime you got.
He was saying 3 hours but I got 1.
The replacements are here:
https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/korg-mr1-lithium-ion-battery-500520002900
If they still exist. I’d order a bunch if you are interested.

The Reverb battery was a total letdown and completely misrepresented. I ordered another 3.7 v 2000mAh battery and installed it (this one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08214DJLJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details).
Doing a runtime test right now. The second one I installed seems to be better quality and more robust also an exact fit although the connector didn't match so I had to hack the old connector off again.

The good news is that while it may not last for a whole show on the internal battery I can use it now with an external.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:55:42 AM by goodcooker »

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2021, 11:08:16 AM »
The good news is that while it may not last for a whole show on the internal battery I can use it now with an external.

Let me know how much time you get out of it. I was hoping to us the MR-1 for  >:D jobs but having to bring a battery pack kills that on the spot, unless they let you in the door with the battery as a phone charger. But TWO MR-1s that run for an hour and a half each might do the job. The Reverb battery dies after 1 hour.

If there were a way to make that Amazon battery into an external charger, that would probably do the trick, because its so small. One inside and one outside should get you the whole show. Right now the 4 AA org battery pack will get me 5+ hours recording DSDIFF on top of the internal charge.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:13:48 AM by jb63 »

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2021, 11:25:36 AM »

I got an hour and a half recording in WSD. I'm going to look into how to wire a larger capacity battery in parallel and mount it to the back. Or I'll just use one of the 5V batteries I have laying around already. I don't do much undercover work.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2021, 04:22:54 PM »

Mainly for shits and giggles I hacked another battery onto the back of the MR1. It's a 4000mAh battery that's almost as long as and the same width as the MR1 chassis. It's very thin. I just drilled a hole into the bottom of the case and ran the wires into it. There's an aluminum bar at that same spot so I andgled under it putting a scratch on the front circuit card in the process. The front card only controls the buttons on the front of the unit so I dodged a bullet. Picked that spot to drill for that reason though just in case and I'm glad I did. This should give me 6000mAh of capacity or 3 times the original battery. I'm hoping for 4-5 hours but will give it a runtime test tonight after it's finished charging.

Here's some pics of the (sort of) finished project. The battery is just taped to the back with gaffer's tape and not perfectly square, nor waterproof or likely to pass TSA inspection.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eHrN8rTkQAcLnO8Hc4dapVwvQVA_6bmq/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eFjfJ0Wgg7Pznmj7y-rZdE4oSdZsFoX-/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eI0hf-T0FFeSI4Vd8ZXUrbZ_Qkcu0dJJ/view?usp=sharing

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2021, 06:42:21 PM »
Holy crap!
So is that spliced into the same 2 wires, replacing the internal battery, or can you use both?
Wait, that doesn't make sense. BUT, I suppose you could rig up something that plugs one or the other...
That's pretty small. Might not even register with a wand. I am impressed!

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2021, 01:47:11 AM »
Wiring the batteries in parallel makes the device see both batteries as a larger capacity single unit with the same voltage. In this case 6000mAh (2000 inside and 4000 on the back).

Both positive leads are attached to the positive terminal on the plug that connects to the circuit card. Same with both negative leads.

Going to give it a lengthy test tomorrow. Seems like it's taking a long time to charge but that makes sense. The back battery has integrated charging protection to protect against over charging but I'm going to play it safe since this is a hack job and don't want to leave this charging overnight on my desk unattended.

EDIT - rather than bump this to the top again - I ran two tests and got over 4 hours of record time both times.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:49:56 PM by goodcooker »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com