Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Flac Players  (Read 16525 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Portable Flac Players
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
Any news on this front?  What is the highest gig player out there that will play 16-bit FLACs gaplessly?  (I'm giving up on 24-bit for now).  Will the Archos 5?  It's got horrible reviews, but I imagine most of that is for functions that I will never even use.  I just need it to play music.

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303922357&sr=1-1

I'm desperate enough at this point that I would even consider going the ipod + rockbox route.  I can't stand anything associated with Apple, but I seem to be running out of options.  The biggest one I can find on Amazon is called "Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation)".  Is that the best I can do?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-classic-Black-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B001F7AHOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303921917&sr=8-4

Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline K.C.

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Don't Bowie my Maze
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
Any news on this front?  What is the highest gig player out there that will play 16-bit FLACs gaplessly?  (I'm giving up on 24-bit for now).  Will the Archos 5?  It's got horrible reviews, but I imagine most of that is for functions that I will never even use.  I just need it to play music.

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303922357&sr=1-1

I'm desperate enough at this point that I would even consider going the ipod + rockbox route.  I can't stand anything associated with Apple, but I seem to be running out of options.  The biggest one I can find on Amazon is called "Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation)".  Is that the best I can do?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-classic-Black-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B001F7AHOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303921917&sr=8-4

if you go the ipod + rockbox route, you need it to be between 1gen - 5.5gen...and it won't work with the "classic" model
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:22:52 PM by K.C. »
Playback: NAD T758 > B&W DM603 S3

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
actually, rockbox has made some inroads with their development on the classic 7th gen.  It's been discussed on head-fi and it appears that rockbox is beta/functional on the 7th gen.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline K.C.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Don't Bowie my Maze
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
for those with a Windows based smartphone, here is what I'm currently using for gapless(adjustable crossfading) FLAC playback:

http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

Playback: NAD T758 > B&W DM603 S3

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
Anybody know anything about the Archos 70?  For less than $300, it comes with a 250 GB hard drive and FLAC capability.  But gapless playback?  Anybody know?

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_70it/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »
So I finally decided to buy a Cowon J3.  It's only 32 GB, but I can add another 32 GB via microSDHC.  First impressions are that the sound quality is very good.  But I may have misunderstood how this was going to work.  I've never owned or used any portable media player, but I assumed that I would drag-and-drop my FLAC folders onto the device and it would recognize that the files are organized in folders.  Well, I copied over 3 folders, and when I hit the "Music" button I'm presented with a seemingly random list of all of the songs.  No organization.  All the tracks just thrown in together.  Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
I've had two Cowon mp3 players and it is pure drag and drop.  Go into the menus and set the play music boundary or something like that.  I think that you can choose from individual files, folders, sub-folders, and such.  Try it at the folder or sub-folder level and that may work.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 06:58:08 AM »
I've had two Cowon mp3 players and it is pure drag and drop.  Go into the menus and set the play music boundary or something like that.  I think that you can choose from individual files, folders, sub-folders, and such.  Try it at the folder or sub-folder level and that may work.

That helped me immensely.  From the main screen, I clicked on Music, which then gave me several different options.  I had gone to "Albums", thinking it would recognize the 3 different folders as different "albums", but instead it just presented me with one album called "Unknown", inside of which were all of the songs.  Instead of picking Albums I was able to pick "Folders", and then it presented me with a traditional file browser-type interface, with each of my 3 folders there.

The next thing I'm trying to figure out is the display name for the files.  When I was viewing all the songs dumped into that Unknown folder, it labeled the songs according to their tagged names (the song title).  This folder view allows me to play the "album" I want to, but the files are just displayed as, for example, "skellogg2011-05-03d1t05.flac16".  Do people generally create an entirely different set of files, with the song titles in the file names, for transferring to these devices?

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »
use foobar 2000 to write all the information you could want on your flac files. title track, band, source etc. I have the cowon iAudio 9 and love it, once i put info into foobar, it shows up on the screen when i play it

hope this helps
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 02:06:50 PM »
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

Sandisk Sansa Clip+ for $20 today
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »
that is a sweet deal
thanks for the heads up Craig
?>FR2LE

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

Sandisk Sansa Clip+ for $20 today

I can't deal with any mp3 players that rely on correct tagging. I like to drag & drop and to be able to organize files by folders.

Rockbox this player and it can do all of the above. It's small, should sound great (my Sansa  e280 does) & add a 32 GB card and it will hold a fair amount of music as well.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
I grabbed one of those Sansa Clip+.   look forward to listening to it.  i assume it is only 16bit?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
I grabbed one of those Sansa Clip+.   look forward to listening to it.  i assume it is only 16bit?

16 bit is what the one I had played. Mine was 8gigs and I had a 2 or 4 gig microsd card.

Word of warning...this thing is SMALL so its easy to lose. I lost mine once and went back to the area I thought I lost it and found it (it was within about 20-30 minutes) but then a few weeks later lost it for good. The clip+ is about the length of 1 1/2 USB thumb drivers next to each other. The battery life was pretty good on it but what I found most annoying is what fmaderjr mentions..it relies on tags to display anything. I guess most tapers don't label the music correctly enough for the clip+ so it usually ended up being one long line of text that scrolled. It was annoying but after awhile I just had it shuffle all the music and skipped a song when I didn't want to hear it. The headphone amp is very surprisingly great, probably equal to my hp120 and I didn't have a problem playing music loud.

enjoy it!

edit...I was thinking in the wrong dimension.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:34:20 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com