Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT 853 4.7k resistor  (Read 10972 times)

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
AT 853 4.7k resistor
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »
I can't find a previous thread on this issue. I know it read it someplace ....

If I want to try installing one, what size is used, and across which wires in a 3.5 mini plug?  I suppose I could send it off, but there's no fun or satisfaction in doing that  ....

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: AT 853 4.7k resistor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought the mod was done at the capsule.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:34:46 PM »
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought the mod was done at the capsule.

Doesn't have to be at the capsule, and use 4.7k 1/8 watt metal film resistors, you could do it at the plug, or if you have 853's with mini xlr's you could build a y cable with the mod in the y cable, i have done both

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
Not to appear to ignorant, but it seems I have to ask before it becomes obvious to me, but, across which wires (red & yellow or red only) is this placed?

Everything I took for granted about signal path and values 30 years ago has simply vaporized since I haven't drawn on that knowledge for 20 years. The occupational hazards of the past decades - horizons, white lines, driving wheels at godless hours - have taken their toll. Time now for less driving, more recording ...  sound of the wheels will drive you .......

I appreciate the help ...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Not to appear to ignorant, but it seems I have to ask before it becomes obvious to me, but, across which wires (red & yellow or red only) is this placed?

Everything I took for granted about signal path and values 30 years ago has simply vaporized since I haven't drawn on that knowledge for 20 years. The occupational hazards of the past decades - horizons, white lines, driving wheels at godless hours - have taken their toll. Time now for less driving, more recording ...  sound of the wheels will drive you .......

Red wire = signal Yellow wire has a is 4.7k 1% metal film in series to ground. Ground = ground. Its very difficult to do this inside a 3.5 mm plug but with surface mount resistors its possible.. Go to digikey to order them.

Chris

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
here's Chris's diagram from a post years ago

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »

Red wire = signal Yellow wire has a is 4.7k 1% metal film in series to ground. Ground = ground. Its very difficult to do this inside a 3.5 mm plug but with surface mount resistors its possible.. Go to digikey to order them.

Chris
Yep, soldering inside a miniplug is hard.

One thing I've done is run about 18" of the two mic wires to a Y-joint.  Then run about 5' of wire from that into a miniplug.  Put the 4.7k resistors inside the Y joint.  Just make sure that joint is reinforced with a few levels of shrink wrap.  Or even put a hard plastic tube around it.

Welcome to the world of mic hacking.  90% mechanical problems, 10% electrical problems...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
Another trick along these lines is to use an old cable for the post-Y part illconditioned describes.  This way you don't have to do any soldering at all within the minplug.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »
What I do with my 9100 preamp that has the 4.7k mod in it * only 3 wire * with 4.7k mod. I put a switch across the 4.7K resistor. This gives you another 12 db or so of gain for free but you get less headroom.... Its the same as running the mics 2 wire. If you build a bbox you can power the mics and have the switch inside. Use a DPDT switch works like a charm now you can tape really loud shows and shows that are no so loud you can use the additional 12 db of gain for recording.

Chris

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »
I have one of the above pre-amps, and find it useful, however the 3-wire mics do have to be wired correctly for it to work without distorting.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
I have one of the above pre-amps, and find it useful, however the 3-wire mics do have to be wired correctly for it to work without distorting.

As long as the mics are wired as from the factory... Pin 3 = Red Pin 2 = Yellow Pin 1 Ground.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »
I did mine with the Y cable the way Richard and Will describe.  It wasn't pretty but it worked fine until the first time I loaned it out and someone pulled on the cables too hard and one channel dropped out.  After that I sent it to Chris and let him do it inside the miniplug.  It's a whole lot neater now, and it was less than $50 to get it done right.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
Putting the solder joint inside a plastic tube full of epoxy will make for a fairly rugged cable as well though...

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
I did mine with the Y cable the way Richard and Will describe.  It wasn't pretty but it worked fine until the first time I loaned it out and someone pulled on the cables too hard and one channel dropped out.  After that I sent it to Chris and let him do it inside the miniplug.  It's a whole lot neater now, and it was less than $50 to get it done right.
Funny, I had the same problem.  I was at a festival, and during one set someone must have janked the mics.  (They were Sennheiser KE4 capsules hanging in plain view, tied to a plastic fence.)  So, I just ripped the shrink off and twisted the wires together.  Not a great solution, but worked in a pinch.

Have to make the connections out of epoxy next time...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
Pardon my extreme ignorance of electronics...

Do I understand this thread correctly, that you could make an extension cable (stereo mini-jack to stereo mini-plug) which incorporates the 4.7k mod and then either use this cable at loud shows or use without it for acoustic shows? And can this arrangement be used with a standard battery box?

I've resisted (excuse the pun) getting the mod done because I record a lot of acoustic shows as well as loud rock and didn't want to lose the sensitivity for the quiet shows.

As I'm dangerous with any kind of tools (no kidding!), is there anyone that can do this kind of cable for me?

Scott

AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.224 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com