Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac FLAC playback options *Apologies, couldn't find in search*  (Read 12539 times)

Offline ericshore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I apologize if this has been covered already, I'd be shocked if it were not. I'm currently running VLC for Mac, not happy. I'm not a noob but am with FLAC playback on a Mac. Is there a preferred app to manage a FLAC library and play it back? VLC is choppy, dropouts, blips, not seamless between tracks...what am I missing. Dual Core2 iMac, ::braces:: iTunes, is seamless and perfect with all supported formats....what's up? Is there an application with FLAC playback that is "just exactly perfect" for playback. Is there anything that will both manage well and play FLAC (SHN would rock too)? I tried songbird and it appears I am missing the boat here too, it seems weak in every way. iTunes does it all but play FLAC (yeah, fatal flaw) and not suck for interface performance(I am not too troubled by it really).

So. I want a FLAC playin' Mac application with a killler interface. Point me to the dead horse I missed on my way back in if necessary.

THanks so much. I'm goin' nuts with VLC.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Mac FLAC playback options *Apologies, couldn't find in search*
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Does winamp work on a mac?  It plays back both SHN and FLAC (and APE).   Just gotta download the plugins. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »
I use Cog for FLAC playback but I don't use it to manage a FLAC library at all. I'm sort of old school in that I just load music into it on an as needed basis to listen and then remove the tracks when I'm done.

I think MacAmp Lite might play FLAC files but I can't remember. That was sort of the Mac equivalent to Winamp.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
i use http://sbooth.org/Play/ to play flac files

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »
i use http://sbooth.org/Play/ to play flac files
i use Cog, but have never tried Play...thanks for the suggestion, I will check this one out...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

nl

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
You could try this: http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/12/how-to-play-flac-files-in-itunes/

It works on my MacBook Pro which is still running 10.5.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »
Songbird is what I use.

It's an itunes-style clone that plays gapless flac/ogg.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
I have been using Play recently and like it.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
I went to provide a friend with a link for Play and saw they (Booth) have a new player geared to audiophiles called Decible but I don't think it is free. I am going to have to try it out:

http://sbooth.org/Decibel/

What is Decibel?
Decibel is an audio player tailored to the particular needs of audiophiles.

Decibel supports all popular lossless and lossy audio formats including FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, Speex, Apple Lossless, AAC, MP3, WAVE and AIFF.

For lossless formats such as FLAC and WAVE, and for Ogg Vorbis and specially tagged MP3 files, Decibel supports gapless playback with seamless transitions between tracks.

Decibel processes all audio using 64-bit floating-point precision, providing the highest possible playback quality for files sampled at all bit depths.

Decibel has an intentionally minimal user interface designed to be instantly intuitive and non-intrusive:

For audiophile users desiring more control over their audio, Decibel can take exclusive control of the output device (using hog mode) and send audio in the device's native format. Additionally, Decibel can automatically adjust the output device's sample rate to that of the playing track, preventing audio quality degradation associated with software sample rate conversion.

Finally, Decibel can load and play files entirely in memory, eliminating audio glitching associated with disk access.

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline bobinchicago

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
I tried Cog and Songbird but greatly preferred Vox. But I also don't have any need for anything DB-like. Both of the other apps did too much of that for me. Vox lets me select the first FLAC in a directory and plays through all of the FLACs in that directory. If the other two have that feature, it's been added since I tried them or it was obscure enough not to stumble upon.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »
I like Vox.  Simple but effective, and their EQ options are nice.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Alex.Stone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »
Im a big fan of songbird on the Mac, it will also work well your existing iTunes library (if you use use that). there are also a lot of neat plugins

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
Just noticed this mac player [Fidelia] by Audiofile Engineering that looks fabulous and thought of this thread.  Don't know if will decode/playback the higher resolution encoded in HDCD's as this is not specifically mentioned.  I'm thinking of giving it a try, is anyone using Fidelia??? 

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/fidelia/

Technical Specifications    
System Requirements

Hardware
        Mac computer with an Intel processor
        1 GB of RAM (we recommend 2 GB or more)
        Display with 1024-by-768 resolution highly recommended
        A hard disk with 1 GB or more free space
    Software
        Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion)
        QuickTime 7.2 or later highly recommended

Feature List

Elegant design
        Sleek Intuitive controls that contemporary Mac users demand
        Classically styled volume dial buffered by single-click Mute and Dim functions
        Individual track details, stereo levels and audio waveforms displayed in crisp, eye pleasing fashion with no superfluous trimmings