Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR1 issues  (Read 7107 times)

Offline taperhead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I = P/4(Pi)r^2
Korg MR1 issues
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
I used my MR1 all weekend at the hangout fest and it's been working great.  recorded and transferred everything Friday and Saturday.  However, today it got hung up when plugging it into the PC usb port to transfer last nights files.  The PC does not recognized the device. if I "exit" from the MR1 it just says USB Slave Mode waiting.....   Ii unplugged the unit from the usb and nothing changed.  I tried to turn it off but it wont even do that.   Doing a search I did find out about the reset button next to the volume control - pushing it with a paperclip turns the unit off but when I turn it back on it gets stuck on the system welcome screen.  If I plug in the usb cord reset the unit, and turn it back on it does go to the USB Slave Mode screen but the PC does not recognize the unit and it seems hung up again.  Anyone have this problem?  ( ween and the black keys files are at stake here).      korg tech support wasn't much help. they said try charging it for 6 hours and if that doesn't work take it to an authorized service center.   ???
Recording: C-42mp>V3>Korg mr-1000, WSD 1-bit
Playback: Korg mr-1000 (WSD)/Omega Lexicon (24/96)>TASCAM M-308>NAD 2200>Event 20/20

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Korg MR1 issues
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
I used my MR1 all weekend at the hangout fest and it's been working great.  recorded and transferred everything Friday and Saturday.  However, today it got hung up when plugging it into the PC usb port to transfer last nights files.  The PC does not recognized the device. if I "exit" from the MR1 it just says USB Slave Mode waiting.....   Ii unplugged the unit from the usb and nothing changed.  I tried to turn it off but it wont even do that.   Doing a search I did find out about the reset button next to the volume control - pushing it with a paperclip turns the unit off but when I turn it back on it gets stuck on the system welcome screen.  If I plug in the usb cord reset the unit, and turn it back on it does go to the USB Slave Mode screen but the PC does not recognize the unit and it seems hung up again.  Anyone have this problem?  ( ween and the black keys files are at stake here).      korg tech support wasn't much help. they said try charging it for 6 hours and if that doesn't work take it to an authorized service center.   ???

I had the same problem with mine one time only. The reset button didn't help and keeping it connected to the charger didn't help either. I'm pretty sure I just had to wait until the battery completely discharged (which basically acts like leaving a malfunctioning electronic component unplugged to reset its microprocessor) and all was well after I charged it again.

I think mine discharged overnight, but if you've been trying to charge yours it may take longer.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »
Phish Alpine Valley 2009 this happened to me, completely locked up in the lot as I was checking tape on night 1, nothing helped other than letting the battery die over night, fired it up after that and taped night 2, all the data on the drive was fine. Never had the issue again.

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline taperhead

• Taperssection Member
  • I = P/4(Pi)r^2
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:21 PM »
thanks guys.  i just unplugged it and turned it on to discharge the batts overnight.
Playback: Korg mr-1000 (WSD)/Omega Lexicon (24/96)>TASCAM M-308>NAD 2200>Event 20/20

Offline col george

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
 :-* dany
mics: 4 x Peluso cemc6 (ck2, ck4, ck21, ck41) : SoundField SPS200: SP-C4's (omni/card) : CA-11 card (Trego)
pres: BMp2+ UA-5 : Reference Audio Design Pre : Presonus Bluetube : CA-9000 : Naint Littlebox recorders: Tascam DR-680 : MT-II : Tascam DA20-mkII

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
thanks guys.  i just unplugged it and turned it on to discharge the batts overnight.

Did it work?
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline taperhead

• Taperssection Member
  • I = P/4(Pi)r^2
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
nope  but good news.... i just fixed it.   

after trying the discharge/charge a few times i decided to open it up and disconnect the lithium-ion batt. for a while and see what happens.  that didn't work either.

while i had the mr1 open i decided to clean and re-seat all the connections and cables, including the HD ribbon cable (i've fixed a few  i-pods like this).  what i found was the connection at the HD was not secured properly.   the ribbon cable just slid out without any effort.  A few years ago i had taken the mr1 to a local service rep to fix blown inputs (under warranty).    apparently the tech didn't secure the connection by flipping the little tab down on the cable when he re-assembled the unit.     the mr1 is now back together and transferring files!    only one part was left over.....   the phantom power switch :)

i'm just glad that it didn't happen while recording the shows.  maybe running the unit in the hot weather then coming inside to a cool place made the flaky hd connection fail.  whatever, i'm glad its fixed.   

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
How did you disconnect the battery? Did you just tug on the cord? I've tried doing this before, but it felt like the connector was locked in there, so I never worked up the nerve to pull on it any harder.

nope  but good news.... i just fixed it.   

after trying the discharge/charge a few times i decided to open it up and disconnect the lithium-ion batt. for a while and see what happens.  that didn't work either.

while i had the mr1 open i decided to clean and re-seat all the connections and cables, including the HD ribbon cable (i've fixed a few  i-pods like this).  what i found was the connection at the HD was not secured properly.   the ribbon cable just slid out without any effort.  A few years ago i had taken the mr1 to a local service rep to fix blown inputs (under warranty).    apparently the tech didn't secure the connection by flipping the little tab down on the cable when he re-assembled the unit.     the mr1 is now back together and transferring files!    only one part was left over.....   the phantom power switch :)

i'm just glad that it didn't happen while recording the shows.  maybe running the unit in the hot weather then coming inside to a cool place made the flaky hd connection fail.  whatever, i'm glad its fixed.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline taperhead

• Taperssection Member
  • I = P/4(Pi)r^2
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »
carefully pulling on the red and black cables as close to the connector as you can will do it.  if you're careful you can remove the two screws that hold the top board in place and move it slightly to expose the power batt connection.

here's a pic of the mr1 taken apart somewhat

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com