Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speaker cables (how much money do I really need to spend)  (Read 8183 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: speaker cables (how much money do I really need to spend)
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
http://amzn.to/g9rU93

My name is John Connor, they tried to murder me before I was born, when I was 13 they tried again. Cables from the future. AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cables. All my life my mother told me the storm was coming, Judgment Day, the beginning of the war between man and machines. Three billion lives would vanish in an instant, and I would lead what was left of the human race to ultimate victory.

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
Two words: lamp cord

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »
I use Blue Jean interconnects, and Clear Day Speaker cables: http://www.cleardaycables.com/single.php

Pretty cheap by audiophile standards. I may be deluded, but I heard a difference with the Clear Day cables, greater detail and clarity, individual instruments really stood out more.

Regarding making the cables the same length....my rack is to the left of my left-hand speaker, so I need about 6' on the left and 14' on the right. I researched this a bit and came to the conclusion that the differences in length are utterly meaningless. More timing or phase errors (or whatever) can be introduced by, say, tilting your head 1 inch to the left or right.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
Mark Levinson amps had an ad campaign in the 70's, where they welded with the output of one of their high current output SS amps.
This impressed me.
When I bought my latest amp, a high current output SS amp, I decided to get cables that were heavy enough to use for welding.
On the packaging for the cables, it was suggested that you not use the cables for car battery jumping or welding, as that would void the warranty.

Cables by Analysis-Plus, Bi-Oval9 9ga, oval woven copper, supported by an oval teflon core, and insulated by teflon. Massive T1 spades. Serious cables.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
After reading evil moderator's comments about his cables, I bought copper AP oval 9s.  I use them for the bass cabinets and AP silver oval for the monitors. They were a nice jump up from the MIT cables I was using and I haven't felt the need to swap them for anything else. The MIT cables were a huge jump up from lamp cord but of course YMMV.

I think the biggest downside to having speaker cables of different lengths would be a longer resale time. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
I didn't read through the entire thread, but I have read more than I care to admit on this topic in the past.  I ended up buying outdoor low voltage lighting cable in bulk at my hardware store...  The cable and insulation are impressive, I'd rather use this cable than even the expensive pro monster cable...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »
Anyone use CAT5 or CAT6 cable for speakers?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com