Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-680 and Battery Power  (Read 18868 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
DR-680 and Battery Power
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
i've perused the various threads of discussion about the DR-680 and battery power in search of a solution to my DR-680 problems, and so far i've found no solution.  i started out using a Tekkeon and the DR-680 would always die 1-2 hours into a show.  after 10-15 minutes of rest it would come back to life, but it was consistently unreliable with the Tekkeon.  i then went to a battery from batterygeek and the unit stopped dying, but now i have a new problem... strange digi noise at various points on the recording.  i've tried two different DR-680s and have run the external battery at 9v as well as 12v with the exact same results 

whatever is going on with the DR-680 it seems to be very picky about external battery power and for the most point just doesn't work properly when powered by an external battery.  at least that is my conclusion after about a dozen shows of consistent problems. 

i'm at the point of bagging the DR-680 and taking the loss and either going to an R-44 or saving up for the 744... or perhaps even just staying with the simple and very reliable stereo set-up which never fails (mics > Aerco MP-2 > Sony M10).  however, before i totally give up on the DR-680 i'm seeking any suggestions / feedback from those that may be able to help.   :-\   

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: DR-680 and Battery Power
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
I have been using 9v DVD batteries with no issues.  Although channel 2 suddenly dropped 10dBs off and stayed that way, but I don't think that was caused by the battery.  I know for a fact that Busman is trying to identify the battery issues as he ran into problems also.  He has mine right now and is fixing my dB problem.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
Yesterday I received one of these from Hong Kong - the "Hoo Boy Chinese battery," as it's been called:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-9V-12V-USB-Super-Capacity-Recharge-Li-ion-Battery-/280726420534?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item415c993c36

It comes with a 12v cable and a tip that fits the DR-680.  But don't take my word for it - I don't own a DR-680 (yet).  Some folks are using this battery with good results.  I think at least one person on here has had an issue with this or a similar battery, but it may be worth a shot since you can get it for under $40 shipped, since it's li-ion, light weight, rechargeable, flexible, etc.  IF it works, it'll be a pretty nice unit for portable power. 

I'll take some pics of my battery tonight, with the included accessories, and start a new thread about this thing.  I'll open it up and shoot some pics if I can do that without breaking it.  I'm hoping it will serve as a solid replacement for my DVD batteries when they wear out, as long as it doesn't fry anything.  I've run my R09-HR off of the 5v USB power and had no issues there.  It should run the R-09HR continuously for about a week, I'm thinking.  Just need to find the correct tip for my pre-amp and try that out at 9v.

Good luck, and don't give up on that deck - at least not without offering it up in the yard sale  ;)
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
Tekkeon will fry it. No question.

I have run it on manual with the Tekkeon at 10V and gotten through a whole show, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. 

We have never had a problem with 9V DVD batts at multiple shows.   More likely what you are experiencing is that your Tekkeon fried or partially fried the unit, and now it doesn't work properly when powered by anything.

Unless you really want 6 channels, the R-44 (and obviously the 744) is a much easier to use and more reliable unit, and it'll work fine with a Tekkeon.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

cashandkerouac

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
Tekkeon will fry it. No question.

I have run it on manual with the Tekkeon at 10V and gotten through a whole show, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. 

We have never had a problem with 9V DVD batts at multiple shows.   More likely what you are experiencing is that your Tekkeon fried or partially fried the unit, and now it doesn't work properly when powered by anything.

Unless you really want 6 channels, the R-44 (and obviously the 744) is a much easier to use and more reliable unit, and it'll work fine with a Tekkeon.

the 2nd unit has never been run with the Tekkeon, so my current issues are unrelated to any previous use of the Tekkeon.  also, Chris (at Busman) has been running my 1st DR-680 and says that he has had no issus.  the new batterygeek battery that i'm using is basically a high capacity DVD battery with a selector switch for 9v or 12v, so i'm really at a loss to understand why the unit still won't make it through a show without some type of problem.  uggggh!   

cashandkerouac

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
I have been using 9v DVD batteries with no issues.  Although channel 2 suddenly dropped 10dBs off and stayed that way, but I don't think that was caused by the battery.  I know for a fact that Busman is trying to identify the battery issues as he ran into problems also.  He has mine right now and is fixing my dB problem.

this sounds similar to one of the issues i had when using the Tekkeon, but it would only be temporary.  when my right channel would drop out it would usually come back after the unit rested for 10-15 minutes.  please let me know what Chris finds, as it may be useful info for figuring out my ongoing problems.  thanks.

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
Not that this helps you guys at all, but I've run two 680's and both work perfectly on DVD batteries, with no level changes.   I've run them for at least three hours on battery all fine. 

So to try and help track things down  IE maybe a certain range of serial numbers.  My serial numbers are:
0010168 bought when they first came out
0070325 bought Jan 2011

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »
I'm glad Busman is looking into the level drop issue. I sent my DR-680 back to Tascam to have them check mine, because I had the level drop issue happen twice. They told me mine was working to spec. I was also using 9v  DVD batteries then. I'm using 12v SLA's now, with no problems so far.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
well this thread has dually inspired me to purchase an r-44 today....

1) i was after a 680 and had been able to digest all the other questionable reviews, but this thread pushed me back over the edge of being scared  ;)
2) i was also gonna post an ISO thread for an r-44 but figured after this one was posted that i didnt stand a good chance of scoring one as it seems some others are after them also  :)

i should have it in time for magfest next week and am pretty stoked!  this will lighten up and simplify the gear bag some :)

"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
Been running my 680 with 9v DVD batteries for over a year, no issues (knock on wood).
Serial #0010540
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »
Here's what I think....

- There is definitely an issue with external batteries and this unit. Too many user reported issues and non-functional decks not to be
- Tekkeon's set to auto (or other high voltage sources) can fry the mobo instantly (sys rom error)
- DVD batteries seems to work, but could create subtle issues that, while less serious, can be about as annoying as a bricked unit
- Tascam support in the US has been helpful in repairing/replacing units, but has never issued a root cause for the MANY decks that are experiencing issues
- When the deck is functioning correctly, there is no better cost/functionality unit on the market.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »
Here's what I think....

- There is definitely an issue with external batteries and this unit. Too many user reported issues and non-functional decks not to be
- Tekkeon's set to auto (or other high voltage sources) can fry the mobo instantly (sys rom error)
- DVD batteries seems to work, but could create subtle issues that, while less serious, can be about as annoying as a bricked unit
- Tascam support in the US has been helpful in repairing/replacing units, but has never issued a root cause for the MANY decks that are experiencing issues
- When the deck is functioning correctly, there is no better cost/functionality unit on the market.

A good assessment.  :coolguy:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »
how bout a 12v li-Ion battery like these:
with a hot swappable cable for 2 of these
http://www.elementalled.com/rechargeable-li-ion-battery-pack.html
or one of these
much more $
but looks promising too.

http://www.elementalled.com/rechargeable-15-hour-lithium-ion-battery.html

I don't wanna F*#k up my DR-680
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
Here's what I think....

A good assessment.  :coolguy:

Seconded.  When using an external power supply, there just doesn't seem to be any consistency about what will safely and reliably power this deck.  Some people can run 12v, some can't; some people can run 9v, some can't...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on the tekkeon
I'm hoping it's gonna work smooth for my 680
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com