Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAV BG-1 Broadhurst Gardens Stereo Microphone Preamp ?  (Read 12235 times)

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DAV BG-1 Broadhurst Gardens Stereo Microphone Preamp ?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »
I'll keep you in mind, but it may be towards the long end of that range, having just bought the Grace Decca Tree setup . . .

Offline Zorrro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
Do you think it is possible and does it make any sense to use this preamp with consumer grade handheld recorders as Tascam dr-2d? I see people here use Grace v3 with sony m10. And Grace output is also hot according the homepage:

MAXIMUM OUTPUT LEVEL
Balanced   
+25dBu
Unbalanced   
+19dBu

SOS Dav bg1 review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec03/articles/davelectronicsbg1.htm
"The output level is pretty high with intended peaks to +21dBu, so this is not the ideal preamp to match with semi-professional recorders. Operating at a lower output level, while obviously possible, is not recommended, as it will compromise the noise performance significantly. So, professional recorders and A-D converters only please!"

"...This last point is an important one, because the output from the BG1 is seriously big by the time you've persuaded both the green and red lights to flicker! Don't even think about partnering this preamp with a domestic DAT or Minidisc recorder, or any semi-professional -10dBV recorder — even a lot of so-called professional equipment will struggle to deal with transient peaks which reach above +20dBu."

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
If you don't want to turn down the ouput gain on the preamp to a level the recorder input can manage, you can insert pads after the hot output and send the signal along to most any recorder you like.

That's how many run Grace and other high output capable preamps into small recorders.  But you don't have to do that.. I used to run the V3 analog out into an R-09 and just turned the mic gain way down.  Signal barely registered a few lights on the V3 meters, but sounded more than fine with no noise problems.  My R09's have been replaced by DR2d's and I only run the V3 digital out into other recorders these days, but I could run it into the DR2d.  If I wanted to do that regularly, I'd use external pads or build some attenuating interconnects.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Zorrro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

If I buy an attenuator cable, how much should the attenuation be in this case (dr2d, davbg) in your opinion? -10, -15, -20bd or more? I record acoustic music and it can be loud but not as loud as rockbands on stadiums or something.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
The DR2d line-in accepts a max input level of ~+6dBu, so a -15dB attenuation should comfortably avoid any possibility of overloading it.  I believe that is about the value others are using after the output a Grace V2 or V3.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Zorrro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »
Ok many thanks!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
Why don't you just run less gain?

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
Sometime in the next six months I'm going to sell one of my BG1 units to put towards a BG8 for the really serious multichannel stuff.

If you still have it, I would be interested in buying your BG1.

Thanks.

Jim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com