Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom H6  (Read 61202 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Zoom H6
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »
I don't know, Ralf - I only have an H2N (plus of course other devices from other manufacturers!)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Looks like it might run on USB power.

Yes, it does, according to the German video. Besides, my H4, H2 and H4N all do.

Ralf

Yes, my H4 can run on USB power as a computer interface, but I was referring to stand-alone mode, where the recorder can operate independently while connected by USB to a battery pack or to AC power using an USB-to-AC adapter.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:19 AM »
Now that you say so, I've never really tried if my H2, H4 or H4N can actually be fed in normal operation through the USB port. Then again, I've never seen the necessity, as they all have an external power input and came with a matched power supply. I also had made myself an external battery pack out of a number of six Eneloops and that lasted longer than I've ever had the necessity to try out.

Anyway, they explicitly state in the German video that the H6 can be powered via the USB connector.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline genesisoh

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The Y1K problem caused the dark ages!
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »
I was talking about 4 channel or more stealth.

I'll vote for a 6ch version of the DR2d.  One can dream.

I second that motion! :-)
Mics: CA-14 cards and omnis
Preamp: CA 9100 (not currently in use - wanna buy it???)
Recorder: TASCAM DR-2D
Video: Sony hx9v; Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (old faithful)

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 02:18:57 AM »
Sold! It's exactly what I wanted. Thank you Zoom!
Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6
* powered by i.Sound Portable Power Max - 16000 mAh
Video
*coming soon??**

LMA uploads
bt.etree uploads
YouTube Playlists

Offline nwa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 05:16:21 AM »
So saw a couple things I wanted to chime in on here.

First of all: I want one.  Can't wait.  NOW PLEASE!   :D

Second someone mentioned: "No way could you fix this Zoom device under a camera." There is specific mention in the press release about an optional attachment that allows for standard attachment of the H6 under a camera so... that's taken care of.

Third: Lots of mention of no Phantom but since we don't have a full set of specs I have to assume they wouldn't degrade from the H4n.   The H4n has 48/24V Phantom which is controlled in a menu NOT by a switch and should be same with the H6.

I can't believe the 20hour time they list for anything "real" but any improvement over the 1h40m I get out of the pair of AAs in the H4n when recording 2 channel 96k/24bit w/ 24V Phantom would be huge.  If the 4 batteries at least double that my life would be a lot better.  If the new device is also more efficient and I can get at least 8 hours / charge I'll love Zoom 4 eva!

-Nate
http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Nate+Anderson%22

My rig (minimal): Pair (ORTF) AKG C480B w/ CK63 Caps -> H4n (96k/24bit)
I have a Lunatec V3 I use for an input to my laptop if recording to that.  It is also better sounding than the H4n preamps BUT not enough to justify using it ahead of the H4n when it's my on-site recorder.

kirk97132

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
My rig (minimal): Pair (ORTF) AKG C480B w/ CK63 Caps -> H4n (96k/24bit)
I have a Lunatec V3 I use for an input to my laptop if recording to that.  It is also better sounding than the H4n preamps BUT not enough to justify using it ahead of the H4n when it's my on-site recorder.
:o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o :o :o Really an $800 high end V3 preamps do not sound "THAT" much better than a $270 recorders preamps  :facepalm:
What are you recording with it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:20:28 PM by kirkd »

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »
It has selectable Phantom Power voltage: 12/24/48.

Anyone know if the mic pre level controls are analog or digital, and if they're digital, whether they can be ganged so that all channels can have the same gains set with one knob (like the Tascam DR-680)?

If so, it's a good match for our TetraMic mono/stereo/surround soundfield mic.  A complete stealthable surround recording system could cost under $1700.

English videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yBfJveLuANk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xvlLKaYdnUY
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:44:45 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
Len--it looked like the level controls were done via the knobs on top of the recorder, so doubtful they could be ganged. Will probably end up taping those down too depending on how easy they are to adjust. Of course they could throw a curveball in their design, Zoom has done weird stuff before.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Len--it looked like the level controls were done via the knobs on top of the recorder, so doubtful they could be ganged. Will probably end up taping those down too depending on how easy they are to adjust. Of course they could throw a curveball in their design, Zoom has done weird stuff before.

You're probably right. I'm waiting for the release of the manual on the Zoom web site.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
American Musical Supply has some good images of the unit itself and the full spec.'s on it too.  Not even getting this info from the Zoom JP site.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ZOO-H6-LIST

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:31:02 AM by 404 Not Found »
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
Anyone know if the mic pre level controls are analog or digital, and if they're digital, whether they can be ganged so that all channels can have the same gains set with one knob (like the Tascam DR-680)?

Don't want to derail this Zoom thread, but have a quick question for Len on this:

Len, have you found the DR-680 channel gains to be matched closely enough throughout their gain range that they track evenly enough when ganged to not require level adjustment between individual channels on the computer using recorded test tones before doing the mic-specific A-format processing?  I've not meaused how close the gains actually track when ganged.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
The DR-680 that we have here is very well-matched between channels so that you can gang them, change levels and not have to trim each channel separately.

But we've heard of at least one DR-680 where the gains were not so well matched, so it makes sense to measure them before you trust them.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
Thanks.  I'll do some measuring.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:49 AM »
On the side picture of the XY mic module, is that a 1/8" input I see? Can it work like the Zoom H4n and you just plug in a 1/8" input?

EDIT: Confirmed: "The supplied XYH-6 X/Y capsule also provides a secondary input for connecting an external mic- or line-level signal via a stereo 1/8 inch Mic/Line In mini phone jack. When a connection is made to that jack, signal from the X/Y microphones is muted."
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com