Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: Tips for Stealth filming with actioncam  (Read 5582 times)

Offline carlito1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
ISO: Tips for Stealth filming with actioncam
« on: July 03, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »
Hi folks,

are here any Tips for Stealth Taping with an Action Cam like SJ4000?
There are Stealth Video glasses but they lack in quality. So I wonder how an Action Cam can be "mounted" ;)

Anyone with experience here? :D

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: ISO: Tips for Stealth filming with actioncam
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 08:22:39 PM »
Stealth video is lame.  No one wants to watch that shit and it gives videographers a bad name.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »
I hate these threads because half the folks will say "keep stealth, stealth" which IMO is a bit of BS because most of it is common sense and anyone that wants to find you will with a little effort. And I don't really think most security cares about it unless you're obvious.

That being said, I wouldn't even bother with an action camera. There are a few issues.

(1) these cameras are designed to record directly in front of you and not much farther away. If you really want to record with one of these you need to be dead front and center. Obviously it's difficult to conceal your camera if your 5 feet away from the lead singer.

(2) these cameras are not designed to be used in low light situations. The quality most certainly will be shit. A cell phone will provide better results since the makers of these devices design them to be used in a variety of situations.

When I've seen people make "good" stealth videos they have used at least a reasonably nice camcorder (think $600+). If you want to go that route I've seen people put them on a monopod with a hoodie covering the back. I have no idea how these people "aim" the camera (point and pray maybe), but I've seen the results of these and they are decent (at least considering).

~~

How do you like that SJ4000 for it's normal purpose? Thinking about picking a couple up to add a few angles to my mountain bike videos.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
If you were going to stealth, the only way is to hide it on your head and get close. I wouldn't bother. Even a decent HD point and shoot from 10 -100 feet back would be better. Looks like everyone else...
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline PAINKILLER

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:04:40 PM »
Your best bet is a digital  compact camera .  Various zooms flip down screens etc.  Can be used discreetly if needed.  I would imagine action cam to be more miss than hit + no zooms etc .

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:16:22 PM »
I have always been impressed by this video from 1995. It's old but gold. Said to be filmed front row with a small action type of cam hidden in a hat. I guess everything is possible as long as you put enough time and effort in it.

https://youtu.be/VFGAnBEOMDU
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
I guess everything is possible as long as you put enough time and effort in it.

https://youtu.be/VFGAnBEOMDU

I agree.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com