Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Record Levels. -12 db?  (Read 12665 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Record Levels. -12 db?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 03:55:26 PM »
+3.

-12dB, even though it's not a gold standard, gives you enough room to play with.  My example was on Tuesday night at an outdoor show for Canada Day.  I had set my recorder and levels accordingly (winged it) for the opening act [hovering around -12 to -14dB].  By the time the headliner went on, it started with peaks around -10dB (thought I was safe) but I could hear him progressively getting louder through the show.  By the time I got to looking, I was peaking around -7 to -6dB (steadily as he was compressing heavily).  Luckily I'd left that room.  If I'd have pooched myself.  With a 24-bit recording, you've got the flexibility to 'fix it in post.'

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
+3.

-12dB, even though it's not a gold standard, gives you enough room to play with.  My example was on Tuesday night at an outdoor show for Canada Day.  I had set my recorder and levels accordingly (winged it) for the opening act [hovering around -12 to -14dB].  By the time the headliner went on, it started with peaks around -10dB (thought I was safe) but I could hear him progressively getting louder through the show.  By the time I got to looking, I was peaking around -7 to -6dB (steadily as he was compressing heavily).  Luckily I'd left that room.  If I'd have pooched myself.  With a 24-bit recording, you've got the flexibility to 'fix it in post.'
I agree with this statement.
I ran SBD and on stage cards on Sat and I and my friend were both "Running sound". Every time my friend came to the board he adjusted something and made my levels just a bit hotter. It was a little tough to keep track of because every time I thought things were set it would go up just a hint, after a few times my levels weren't where I like them (around -10db to -8 db at peak) and had to adjust the M-10 down a nudge.
I know....too many cooks in the kitchen....
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
Haha, love SmokinJoe's description.  Pretty much spot on.  I would say most of the time when I'm seeing a bigger name act with more skilled sound engineers I'm usually kissing the orange light on my V3 and running -6 on the recorder, but I keep an eye on it especially later in the set.  With better engineers I don't find many big swings in volume. If I'm seeing smaller bands with questionable engineers, or if I'm looking to just set it and forget it so I can hang with friends, I'll go -12 as a baseline.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 12:30:26 AM »
Helps to know the band's FOH guy too if they have one.

Railroad Earth's FOH, Mike, runs a consistent level during set 1. 2nd set is a bit louder once he has the room dialed in. And during the last few songs and encore he raises it yet again.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 01:06:26 AM »
During the DAT days way back, we didn't have DAWs to boost your gain if needed. Since that was the case back then, I used to run my levels HOT. They we're peaking at around -2 back then. It was easy to go over maximizing your levels :( But since I went 24-Bit, in 2006, with an SD 722, I could reliably run my levels WAY more conservatively, and since DAWs were around then, I could make my recordings peak where I wanted them to, which was around -12 to -8 most of the time.

As someone already said, when recording these days with my m10, I start my levels around -12, that way I have headroom if the FOH raises the gain throughout the show. This is especially helpful if I'm at a festie and I'm recording for 16 hours that day straight. I also NEVER mess with my levels UNLESS its between songs, or I'm just matching levels. But I can honestly say my recordings have gotten much more consistent since switching to 24-Bit, because I can run my levels conservatively, and do all the normalizing in post. No more HOT DAT recordings. Now my recordings sound much more natural in 24-Bit, since I don't have to slam levels in 16-Bit :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
During the DAT days way back, we didn't have DAWs to boost your gain if needed. Since that was the case back then, I used to run my levels HOT. They we're peaking at around -2 back then. It was easy to go over maximizing your levels :( But since I went 24-Bit, in 2006, with an SD 722, I could reliably run my levels WAY more conservatively, and since DAWs were around then, I could make my recordings peak where I wanted them to, which was around -12 to -8 most of the time.

How long have you been taping? I'm pretty sure I used a DAW to boost my first tapes in 1999.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com