Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nady budget portable preamp  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Nady budget portable preamp
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
Today I googled for some 2-channel XLR portable preamp, and this came up:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747361-REG/Nady_DMP_2_DMP_2_Compact_Microphone.html

Has anyone tried it?

For me it looks as a good starting point to improve audio on DSLR and BMC video cameras.

Pity it doesn't have some kind of level metering, but it seems to have a limiter.

In any case, it looks as a unit that deserves looking into.

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Nady budget portable preamp
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
There doesn't seem to be many low priced 2-channel portable preamps to choose from.

Juicedlink seems to be the only releasing several types that also reasonably priced and not too large.

As it is, recorders like the Tascam DR-60, particularly at present B&H prices, seem to be a choice that unite preamp and recorder.

Busman seems to provide a preamp upgrade for it, which would still put the unit below Sound Devices prices.

Cons against the DR60, from what I have been following, are the hum loop and the XLR sockets, which seem to unrelease certain XLR connectors.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:56:47 AM by Carlos E. Martinez »

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »
Unfortunately there don't seem to be a great selection of cheap 2 channel preamps that are commonly used around here. 

Short thread about it here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=158509.0

Naiant tinybox isn't XLR in but fits the bill of 'small/affordable/great sound quality.'  Edirol UA-5 is a pretty solid, affordable, tried and true preamp.  They're discontinued but seem to be pretty rock solid. 

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
Unfprtunately, the unit I'm looking for has to have balanced XLR inputs. This is adamant. Phantom power is also a must.

But small size and battery power seem to mean high prices. The market is probably quite restricted too.

It's a real success to have a Tascam DR-60 which seems to fill an important niche, in spite of its shortcomings.

Offline mtahir

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »
Apart from getting an XLR plug stuck in the DR-60D, I also found that there wasn't enough gain for the lav mics I was using.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com