Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for another digital recorder  (Read 13261 times)

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Looking for another digital recorder
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
OK thanks .I see the gain wheel could be a issue .I read on here  some guys had  some issues on the gain wheel getting moved in pockets .Can the  gain wheel get taped up after the settings are done.I Always tape the switches on my recorders.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »
OK thanks .I see the gain wheel could be a issue .I read on here  some guys had  some issues on the gain wheel getting moved in pockets .Can the  gain wheel get taped up after the settings are done.I Always tape the switches on my recorders.

For what it's worth, I've had my M10 for six months, and have yet to have any issues with the gain wheel turning unexpectedly. And I pretty much always keep the recorder in a pocket.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 02:43:44 AM »
The M10 with external mics just rocks the universe. The internal mics cannot handle MEGABASS! but mic-->batterybox-->Line In will do you proud.

Offline bluesnut49

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »

For what it's worth, I've had my M10 for six months, and have yet to have any issues with the gain wheel turning unexpectedly. And I pretty much always keep the recorder in a pocket.

I tape down the gain wheel on my M 10 with a couple narrow strips of gaffers tape to be sure it stays put.

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »
I also recently had an R-05 fail completely.  Was recording all day long and in the 8 or 9th hour of recording, it locked up solid and then after taking the batteries out and messing around with it, it won't even power on.  It wasn't a hot day and the recorder was sitting inside my bag.  It had less than 40 hours of recording time on it.  I'm pretty sure it would still be under warranty, but I never registered it and I don't have the original sales receipt anymore.  Oh well.  I bought an M10 to replace it.

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »

I tape down the gain wheel on my M 10 with a couple narrow strips of gaffers tape to be sure it stays put.

If you have a gain wheel, you're not talking about a Sony M10.

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

If you have a gain wheel, you're not talking about a Sony M10.

Ummm, What?  The gain adjustment for the recording level on the M10 is most certainly a rotating wheel.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
Sorry my bad.   :facepalm:  I was thinking the FF and REW controlled the gain.  Duh.

Marshall7

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »
Sorry my bad.   :facepalm:  I was thinking the FF and REW controlled the gain.  Duh.
That would make for some interesting recordings, Steve. :D

stevetoney

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
That would make for some interesting recordings, Steve. :D

My 'problem' is that I have too many recorders.  I mean, that's a good problem to have because I've recorded three stages at a couple of festivals this year and it's always nice to have backups, but you have to refresh your memory on the details whenever you bring one out that you haven't used in awhile.  The R-05 has up down buttons that control the gain and of course you use the FF and REW buttons on the M10 for natigation.  But yeah, I'd need to push pretty hard on the FF to raise the gain on the M10.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:17:07 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »
I just ordered the M10.I have no problem with taping everything down as I done it with all of my equipment.
One thing that scares me is that delete button  on the front panel.They could of just put it in the menu like the R-09HR.I would like to disable it.

I figure the internal mics could not handle the loud music.

The other thing I'll miss is the file repair feature from the 09HR.I had to use it a couple of times.

Thanks again for all the tips guys.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
It doesn't delete in one step.  It will ask you to confirm the delete, yes / no, and then you have to confirm yes. 

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:23 PM »
I like that the M10 has a gain wheel, but I don't like that it doesn't have two.  I also don't like that it has no means for balanced input.  I guess it's fine for stealthing, but as a main all-purpose rig, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I've been in the market for something to replace my DAT (Sony PCM-M1) and I've not liked much I've seen so far except the Tascam DR-100MKII.

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:38 AM »
It doesn't delete in one step.  It will ask you to confirm the delete, yes / no, and then you have to confirm yes.

Ok.Thats what I figured like most digital devices.

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »
I like that the M10 has a gain wheel, but I don't like that it doesn't have two.  I also don't like that it has no means for balanced input.  I guess it's fine for stealthing, but as a main all-purpose rig, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I've been in the market for something to replace my DAT (Sony PCM-M1) and I've not liked much I've seen so far except the Tascam DR-100MKII.

I agree  on the double wheeled setup.I've been in a few occasions with lopsided levels.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com