Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Hooke binaural bluetooth recording system - NOW REVIEWED

(1/19) > >>

Ozpeter:
Already discussed at http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170011.msg2110532#msg2110532 but I think it's not irrelevant here in the context of recording with Android devices in particular.

https://www.hookeaudio.com/ is the site for the device.

As far as I'm aware there's no ready means of recording stereo into an Android phone, so aside from the other features of this device, the fact that it enables location recording on Android devices is worth noting.  Whether this will also include my Android watch remains to be seen!

I"d describe it as a semi-stealth system.  At a concert people might wonder why you are obviously wearing bluetooth headphones rather than listening to the band.  But in the street you wouldn't attract a second glance.

Of course there are several other devices incorporating mics in earbuds, but when using Roland in-ears I've found the cord tends to be a source of noise on recordings and it has a way of gradually dislodging the buds - and if you push them back in you get the sound of that on the recording.  So a wireless in-ear recording system has something to recommend it.

Personally I'm not that fussed that it's bluetooth.  Carefully implemented, it's surprising what quality BT can produce.  Not ideal of course compared with a wire but in the context of run and gun etc, not a dealbreaker.  There is a cable option for connecting to normal recorders, or you could use a bluetooth receiver (eg the Sony one that's about the size of the cap of a pen) and connect that to a slightly remote recorder.

I'll be asking the company a few questions such as

- battery life?
- wind noise?  The outdoor samples are remarkably free of it - was the user wearing dead cats on their ears?
- level control - does it send a fixed level or is it somehow variable, or is some sort of ALC employed (hopefully not)?

Needless to say, as your humble forum guinea pig, I've preordered.  Delivery is said to be "in the summer" which in Kickstarter-speak tends to mean in the Autumn or later, but we'll see...

dyneq:
Thanks for sharing this! My thoughts:

Very slick marketing, and the sample videos are well produced and sound great on my headphones (worth checking out on their own merits).

Having listened to in-ear (as in, inside the pinnae) recordings, I would have to agree with the common perception/opinion that they sound best played back on headphones (which makes sense). Do I think they suck on speakers? No, but it does sound different.

They have definitely done a lot of work to make (what appears to be) a nice product. I'm impressed that they also included a wired connectivity option. It would be interesting to record some pink or white noise in a quiet room and compare the signal to bluetooth.

Enjoy them and please do report back with a review and some samples if you think of it.

Ozpeter:
I've heard from the Hooke people concerning my questions, and the answers were -

--- Quote ----Right now our Hooke Verses are getting 7-10 hours battery life. We’re pretty impressed!

-The Hooke Verse comes with a complimentary pair of custom designed wind screens

-You’ll have mic gain control on your phone via the app. And when going to a field recorder, laptop or camera, you will adjust gain via that device.

--- End quote ---

F.O.Bean:
Pretty badass I must say 8)

earmonger:
I ordered a pair through the Kickstarter offer when they were first mentioned here.

But it looks like they are having trouble with the Android app development--according to a recent update, the June launch is now pushed toward July. Will certainly report when (if?) they arrive, but it's not going to be soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version