Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you Hot Swap?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
Do you Hot Swap?
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »
Two years ago I had a fella build me some breakouts for my new DR-680, including a dual cable to allow hot swapping of Wally World batteries.  What I've been doing is plugging in both batteries from the start and figuring I'm good for a real long run. (FWIW, I never have loaded up the 680 w/AA cells.) Generally I've never had an issue with run times but I have noticed that one battery drains to one lamp as the session goes on up to 4-5 hours and the other is still "3Green".  I've begun to wonder if the lash up is not able to act like I think it would. 

I know that a parallel circuit would furnish the same voltage, which is what I want, but wouldn't the draw down be more or less equal?  The batteries in play are a 5400mah and a 6000mah.  Is the extra 600mah capacity serving to disrupt my expectation of uniform drain? Wouldn't it show some drop as the other drew down?

Thanks for any insights.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:45:41 PM by Ben Turnbull »
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Do you Hot Swap?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
I've experienced the same thing. Other than that I've not much to add, but curious to see where this goes...

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
Yeah... it's kind of a Bat Signal for the Gurus.  Hope it works, it's getting cold up  here on the roof... ;D
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
On mine, one of the cables is a 'straight' run, and the other is spliced onto it. The battery connected to the straight run drains quicker. I guess it's a resistance thing.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
I hot swap my DR680 with instrument Tekkeon MP3450 (voltage set by dip switch)....but use the internal AA's...just unplug the spent Tekkeon and plug in a fresh one....never had a issue...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »
Thanks, Jon.  In my little mind I kinda saw what you're 'splaining, but didn't have the details worked out to make sense of it.  The batteries are different makes and, as I said, capacity... or at least that's what the labels indicate.  I'll carry on as I'm doing I guess.  Maybe try a few runs with just one battery at a time. 

Again, thanks, Jon. You're the best.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (57)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
Keep in mind that the wally world batteries have voltage regulator circuits in them. The one I opened was a 9v model, and the regulator attempted to maintain that 9v. That can cause other interactions, and I'm not sure all of the possibilities. Contrast that to the camcorder battery pack for a 722. It has no regulator, and you see the voltage decrease as the battery is discharged.

If you have two batteries in parallel, and one of those batteries has a partial internal short that causes a more rapid discharge, it can load the good battery and drain it more quickly.  In theory, a regulator should hide the load of the internal battery short from the device you are powering and the other battery. But I'm not sure of the potential interactions and corner cases.

New product - Get your NEUMANN active mounting bars
Active microphone mounting bars for Schoeps and AKG, and Naiant AKG, ready to ship

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com