Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alternatives to Grace design stereo bars sb30 and sb60  (Read 9417 times)

Offline n3mmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Alternatives to Grace design stereo bars sb30 and sb60
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:48:56 AM »
I really like how the SB30 and 60 look.

And the microphone mounts in these kits, with angle indicators built in, just what the doctor recommends....

They're a bit expensive, however, so I wonder if there are any good alternatives doing at least almost the same job, for a poorer amateur's use.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Alternatives to Grace design stereo bars sb30 and sb60
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:28:30 AM »
SuperLux MA90, see the following topics for a link to manufacturer's site (first link) and pics of the bar and how one Tser modified it (second link).

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=134782.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135108.0

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
nothing says affordable like DIY with left-over scrap stock.

My Axis-Reference stereo bar design:

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:52:18 AM »

And the microphone mounts in these kits, with angle indicators built in, just what the doctor recommends....

They're a bit expensive, however, so I wonder if there are any good alternatives doing at least almost the same job, for a poorer amateur's use.

Get the Shapeways mounts for your combinations  ;D

Excellent, inexpensive, and you can rig a perfectly aligned stereo pair in seconds.

They do ORTF and DIN arrangements tailord to the exact mic. - as the mic. is set by aligning the back of the mic. with the back of the clip, you get the perfect alignment of both angle and distance every time.

If your mics are not shown, contact the designer who will do one for your mics and add it to the list.

Oh - and I do agree that the Grace are the best - I have both a 30 and 66 myself - but these clips are so *very* easy, accurate and cheap.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:58:10 AM by John Willett »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 06:35:39 AM »

Excellent, inexpensive, and you can rig a perfectly aligned stereo pair in seconds.

They do ORTF and DIN arrangements tailord to the exact mic. - as the mic. is set by aligning the back of the mic. with the back of the clip, you get the perfect alignment of both angle and distance every time.

If your mics are not shown, contact the designer who will do one for your mics and add it to the list.

Oh - and I do agree that the Grace are the best - I have both a 30 and 66 myself - but these clips are so *very* easy, accurate and cheap.

Thanks for the interesting link.  How do you attach these clips to a mic stand?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:42:52 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »

John, thanks for the reminder of the Shapeways mounts. With my old-timer's disease I had forgotten about them.

dactylus, seems the A53 Shure donut has been the most popular but the mounts also have been reported to work in Schoeps A20 mounts.

thread by the designer http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170480.0

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Those mounts do look sweet.......
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »
The Shapeways clips do look like very quick to set up, but you must settle for one of the few standard arrangements, and I want to be able to set up any reasonable combination of distance and angle.

I discovered the Superlux ma-90 is on sale at Thomann for the EU.

So I've ordered two of those. Can't wait to see them irl!

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:10 PM »
You can find the MA-90 for @ $89 including shipping in the US. Pretty good deal at that price.  I have one on order.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »

You use a standard mic. clip for a 19mm diameter microphone.

The Shure or Gefell donut suspension is also good.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:21:13 AM by John Willett »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »

Or Rycote INV mounts - see pics: http://www.shapeways.com/product/F9QV4WQ7A/wide-ortf-cm3?li=user-profile&optionId=57166218
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »

Or Rycote INV mounts - see pics: http://www.shapeways.com/product/F9QV4WQ7A/wide-ortf-cm3?li=user-profile&optionId=57166218

voltronic thanks for the link - I definitely like the Rycote INV mount option for the Shapeways!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:23:16 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
I got my two superlux t-bars today, and... They're not very well made at all!
The mike mount clamps are quite unstable, the distance markings are in no known measurement system and not quite symmetrical. The distance detent marks are not evenly placed and aligning a microphone to face straight forward when your selected mark is front facing is not very easy.

Also, you can't attach extra clamps.

And the centre mount does not go through, so no way to have several bars above one another.

I think it can be fixed.

The distance markings can be learned, the excessive wiggle room can be filled with spacers and washers, and the spring loaded detent balls can be removed.

The calibration could be fixed by putting appropriately compressible washers between mic holder and bottom ring, so one could have about a ΒΌ turn with little change of force.

Or is this a dead end?

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 12:43:34 AM »

The photos were done by me for Shapeways and the idea to use the Rycote INV mounts was obvious in a way. I also use the Rycote INV to hold a heavier setup of Double ORTF and IRT Cross mounts. For a tighter fit Shapeways offers a clip extension which increases the diameter too.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/5A4MCFWEK/24mm-x-80mm-clip-extension?li=shop-results&optionId=56674529

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 08:46:59 AM »

Microtech Gefell now do a long stereo bar - 57cm wide - with the possibility of joining two together with a jointing piece to make a 120cm bar.

They have distance markings at 1cm and 5cm intervals.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com