Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor Festival Windscreens  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Outdoor Festival Windscreens
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
Just a note on the Big Ass Shure windscreens...I have an older pair I got about a decade ago. I had not used in a few years, and pulled them out for an event. Well I store them in a large ziplock bag and they have deteriorated to the point of being a bag of black dust.

I just pulled mine out of a Pelican case after a couple of year Hiatus and while not disintegrated they have permanent hand prints in the foam.  Not something that used to happen when I was using them regularly.

Oh well.  I always forget how every little thing adds up in this hobby.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
I ran both the fury and the slick Movo screens in early June. IIRC, I had to do some remedial repair on some gusty bits.

Did you notice any significant difference between the two?  I have the "slick" version but won't get to use them until marching band season starts in September.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
Many types of plastic foam eventually breaks down, and once the process becomes obvious it seems to accelerate. I made it through this spring using my old Shure A81WS which are on their way out, careful not to rub or squash them too much, but I'll need to replace them this fall.  I've decided to stick with the Shure's instead of moving to the Rycote's or Movo's partly because my application is rather non-standard and the foam Shure's are more adaptable and a proven known-good solution for me and I figure a decade of use before needing to replace them is reasonable. 

I'm now wondering if storing them sealed in bags with some oxygen absorbent packs in there may extend their useful life.  Not desiccant packs, but the oxygen absorbent ones, since many foams are susceptible to damage from long-term exposure to air, or even short-term exposure to ozone.

If anyone has or finds an especially attractive source for Shure A81WS please let me know as I'll need to pickup four of them.

I've considered going back to the DIY baby ball gags based around plastic mesh embroidery balls intended for embroidered Christmas ornaments, which I was playing around with a decade back and have great potential as they form an excellent transparent support structure trapping an optimal-volume still-air space, but the two problematic aspects are sourcing really well designed cover material and engineering a good pragmatic mounting arrangement.  Easier to stick with and make minor modifications to the Shures.  Would love the Rycote BBGs, but as I'd need to modify them as well, so they aren't a reasonable option for me.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

Online noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Nobody's finished, we ain't even begun
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
I've had success with the the various Movo clones of the rycote windscreens.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJEB604/ref=twister_B00YHY5RJY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk3 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Naiant PFA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10
Home Playback: Mytek Stereo96> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400
Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (121)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I've had success with the the various Movo clones of the rycote windscreens.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJEB604/ref=twister_B00YHY5RJY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Agreed Noah!

And about the BAS screens! I stopped running them because they would deteriorate and then super small particles were getting ALL over the place, so I definitely didn't want them touching my mics at that point! And no matter WHAT you do to them or how you store them, the BAS will fall apart and deteriorate over time. Period. And if you don't think that yours are shedding yet, just put a piece of white printing paper under the BAS and just give them gentle squeezes, and more than likely, you'll see a million TINY particles that fell out of the screen!

That's how you can tell if your BAS are still good or not! If your BAS are still good, then you WILL NOT see any particles on the white paper underneath of the screens! However, if you see a bunch of tiny particles on your white paper, I'd toss them in the garbage immediately before they can get into the grill of your capsules. I would NOT WANT those particles getting inside of my caps, that's for damn sure ;)
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com