Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Check out my chopped Sennheiser ME64's  (Read 5165 times)

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Check out my chopped Sennheiser ME64's
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
Just finished up my latest project. I've had it in my head for years and finally decided to go for it. My original design used MKE2-60 caps with only an unbalanced out. It worked well but those tiny caps just don't sound as good as the full sized ones IMO so I went back at it. The blue box measures 4"x2.5"x7/8" it contains two full K6 bodies, balanced mini 5 pin xlr and 3.5mm unbalanced outputs, aaa battery holders(K6 uses aa), battery indicators, on/off switch, and a bal/unbal switch so I don't need different cabling. I haven't tested it live yet but seems to work great capturing my speakers. I thought some of you might be interested seeing these. I'm not sure anyone has ever chopped a pair.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Check out my chopped Sennheiser ME64's
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
Looks great!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »
Wow! very nice
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
Pretty!
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
That's impressive
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
+T That's BADASS ;D Quick question, so the far left 5-pin mini-xlr is the INPUT, and the right 5-pin mini-xlr AND the 1/8" mini are BOTH outputs ???

For real though, beautiful mod and design! I can tell you've been planning it for a long time ;) And that's DEF the first ME64 actives I've ever seen 8) You could make some $$ on the side, no doubt ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jeenash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 04:05:47 PM »
+T That's BADASS ;D Quick question, so the far left 5-pin mini-xlr is the INPUT, and the right 5-pin mini-xlr AND the 1/8" mini are BOTH outputs ???

For real though, beautiful mod and design! I can tell you've been planning it for a long time ;) And that's DEF the first ME64 actives I've ever seen 8) You could make some $$ on the side, no doubt ;D

Yes the left mini xlr is caps input and the right is a balanced output. The mini plug and xlrs cannot be used at the same time and there is a switch to swap between the two. It gives me the option to run a preamp or just an R05 for  >:D. I've been trying to come up with a neat way of labeling. I already had one inquiry but I don't see it being cost effective with all of the time I have into it. BTW those pressed in brass caps on the back are actually modified plasma cutter cups.
  Does anyone know if the Schoeps mini clips will fit the mini xlrs? I've been waiting on a pair of knockoffs but they are on a seriously slow boat from China.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:27:15 PM »
That is a slick project... looks great
was/is it worth the time to ditch the bodies.... time will tell. I'm sure
thanks for sharing!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline jeenash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »
thanks for sharing!

To me it was definitely worth it but if I had to pay someone to do it you might as well purchase something more compact. I'd be happy to share info/schematics if anyone wants to try as long as you aren't trying to profit from it. Here they are now that I figured out a mounting bar.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
thanks for sharing!

To me it was definitely worth it but if I had to pay someone to do it you might as well purchase something more compact. I'd be happy to share info/schematics if anyone wants to try as long as you aren't trying to profit from it. Here they are now that I figured out a mounting bar.

+T That's sooooo cool 8) And great use of the Sennheiser bodies! Making them into a mounting bar was a GREAT idea IMO ;D

Also, after owning and breaking quite a few of the real Schoeps Mini SGC Clips, I upgraded to the NBob Schoeps Mini SGC Clips, that are made from Delrin with Aluminum bases, and they are virtually INDESTRUCTIBLE, seriously ;) If Nbob/Followinbob has any of those Schoeps Mini SGC Clips left, and you can afford them, If I were you, Id DEF grab [1] pair and you will NEVER need another pair of the Mini SGC Clips again, trust me ;) ;D 8) But for real, thats a very nice mod Jeenash!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:43:15 PM by F.O.Bean »

Offline jeenash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
thanks for sharing!

+T That's sooooo cool 8) And great use of the Sennheiser bodies! Making them into a mounting bar was a GREAT idea IMO ;D

Also, after owning and breaking quite a few of the real Schoeps Mini SGC Clips, I upgraded to the NBob Schoeps Mini SGC Clips, that are made from Delrin with Aluminum bases, and they are virtually INDESTRUCTIBLE, seriously ;) If Nbob/Followinbob has any of those Schoeps Mini SGC Clips left, and you can afford them, If I were you, Id DEF grab [1] pair and you will NEVER need another pair of the Mini SGC Clips again, trust me ;) ;D 8) But for real, thats a very nice mod Jeenash!

I was thinking about wayward beach balls with these clips and I'm certainly concerned that they'll hold up. I'll check out that option.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 01:07:41 AM »
thanks for sharing!

I was thinking about wayward beach balls with these clips and I'm certainly concerned that they'll hold up. I'll check out that option.

I took a pair of pliers to my SGC clips[gently of course] and they didn't budge! So I bought a 2nd pair lol ;D The delrin is extremely strong, and the aluminum bases will never strip! As with every NBob product, they are extremely well made! Best of luck!

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »
thanks for sharing!

seconded re a great looking set up. the mounting bar looks perfect. the ME 64 is cardiod, right?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jeenash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
thanks for sharing!

seconded re a great looking set up. the mounting bar looks perfect. the ME 64 is cardiod, right?

Yes cardioid. The center of the mounting bar is how much was cut off the each cap.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com