Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

Hack removes 30 minute recording limit from many Sony cameras

(1/5) > >>

deadhoarse:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a-first-real-sony-hack-removes-the-30min-video-recording-limit-and-unlocks-the-language-menu/

Confirmed working on the hx90v. It's still recording at the 1:25 mark and still going.

xjsb125:
Would that not put the sensor at risk of damage from overheating?

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):

--- Quote from: xjsb125 on April 26, 2016, 11:12:03 PM ---Would that not put the sensor at risk of damage from overheating?

--- End quote ---

I thought the main reason for the 30 minute limit was to "encourage" people to buy actual video cameras in addition to still cameras.

Do they really overheat? Can someone confirm??

I'd love to use my a6000 to shoot full shows.

Life In Rewind:

--- Quote from: Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) on April 27, 2016, 12:07:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: xjsb125 on April 26, 2016, 11:12:03 PM ---Would that not put the sensor at risk of damage from overheating?

--- End quote ---

I thought the main reason for the 30 minute limit was to "encourage" people to buy actual video cameras in addition to still cameras.

Do they really overheat? Can someone confirm??

I'd love to use my a6000 to shoot full shows.

--- End quote ---

Reading some of the comments at the link - sounds like some do and some don't...sounds like with certain models - people aren't getting 30 minutes to start with.

Unclear if it causes damage or just forces a shut down at a certain temp...

deadhoarse:
Sony cameras do have built-in temperature warnings, and will shut down if they get too hot (even without this hack, see recent reviews for the new a6300, lots of overheating issues with it). My old Sony NEX-5N would give me overheating warnings and shut down when I did too much consecutive video with it as well.

I'll run my hx90v for a longer duration and see if I can get a temperature warning/shutdown to occur. I'll plug it into a power source so it will record longer than the life of the battery. But I got about an hour and a half of continuous video out of it yesterday without any issues.

Update: I plugged my hx90v into an external USB battery pack and hit record. The results: It recorded until I ran out of space on my memory card (64gb). Almost 3 hours of continuous video recorded (2hr42min59sec to be exact). The camera didn't feel hot or anything like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version