Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F4 with six inputs and eight tracks (is like a new low priced F8!)  (Read 50652 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Zoom F4 with six inputs and eight tracks (is like a new low priced F8!)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 03:36:16 AM »
F.O.Bean, I'd take power over hirose any day rather than USB power.

I agree about the Hirose and its locking ability! But I just love how easy it is to power things with USB batteries, that's all 8)

Cayman, yeah, I wish the screen was as nice as the F8's too! That's a little off putting to me, but not a huge deal as long as the levels are accurate
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
i hope the display is just a generic idea or switchable like the f8

this looks very interesting to me. the f8 is way overkill for me, and this would be perfect see ingly

but the display in the pics on b&h are absolutely horrible looking! the display and more so level metering on the f8 is its downfall. inaccuracy compared to everything else ive ran kind of irks me

The display and metering looks terrible in the photos which is a drag because the rest of the specs look great. Can you link tracks on the F8/F4 so that one dial is gain and the other is balance?

Offline caymanreview

• shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »
bean- my opinion is the f8 display is horrible, anything less is a dealbreaker for me. the f8 metering is the worst part about it i think once you put 3d printed knobs over the stock knobs

nola, no

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
Agree that F8 metering isn't great. Know with 24-bit you can run levels more conservative but I still like to get them warm.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 04:14:20 PM »
Sorry guys but I'm not with you on F8 metering.  It's every bit as accurate as, and has the exact same resolution as the meters/lights on a sound devices recorder.  Of course I'm talking about the display, not the tiny meters above the knobs.

Now if you're talking about the size of the stock knobs and how easy they are to use that's a different story.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
Sorry guys but I'm not with you on F8 metering.  It's every bit as accurate as, and has the exact same resolution as the meters/lights on a sound devices recorder.  Of course I'm talking about the display, not the tiny meters above the knobs.

Now if you're talking about the size of the stock knobs and how easy they are to use that's a different story.

I agree with TD on the metering - the display metering seems fine. What issues do you have?  If folks have been complaining about the metering on this thread, I must have missed it.

I got small fingers so I have no issues with the knobs.  Would it be better if they were bigger - sure, but they work fine for me.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »

Little known fun fact: the Zoom F4 can also record to Blu-ray disks as well as SD cards! ;-)

As the new Zoom F4 is "#1 New Release in Blu-ray Recorders" on Amazon, that is a new feature we didn't hear about from Zoom​...  that it can record not just to SD cards but to Blu-rays as well! ;-)  ha

That isn't even the oddest thing about this Amazon listing, it  indicates the RRP is $799 and won't ship until November 30th! :-o

Yet Zoom has stated pricing of $650 and shipping in October ( B&H Photo Video Pro Audio​ has expected availability of October 11th), thus I'm guessing that is two more things Amazon got wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-F4-Input-Multitrack-Recorder/dp/B01LOR91FC/

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
To make sure I'm reading the specs correctly, this recorder has 4 XLR/TRS inputs and another input(s) for channels 5 and 6, yes?  In the pictures of the deck it appears that there are two ways to do the 5/6 input: an 1/8-inch (presumably stereo) plug and there's something else on the back of the device next to the SD card door.  Anyone know what type of input that is?  TIA.

That is adding on the same accessories used by the F8/H6/H5. Which includes the option to add in two more XLR inputs.
The accessories include several different mics like:
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/xyh-5-xy-stereo-microphone-capsule

But the adapter for XLR inputs is the one most of us would presumably use:
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/exh-6-dual-xlrtrs-input-capsule

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »
I've been eyeing an F8 for a little while now, and this pops up. My understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong but line level input can be achieved by using 1/4" vs xlr. So xlr will be mic level and the 1/4" would be line level? Also, I'm not too keen on that xlr adapter thing shown in the above post, seems like something would go wrong at the worst time. Who knows. I'm happy with my busman 680 at the moment, I haven't actually utilized the upgraded pres on my 680 yet, but the idea of not using external pres is compelling. Less weight in the bag isn't a bad thing.
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 11:21:44 PM »
You are correct on the line v. Mic inputs on the F8.  The add on 2 xlr adapter is interesting.  Apparently can be added to the F8 as well although I don't really foresee needing that many tracks.  It would be a relatively inexpensive way to add 2 inputs though since it only runs about $70.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline caymanreview

• shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
i had alot of issues with the stock knobs until installing the 3d printed knobs, and now i have no complaints about that

as far as the levels, ive grown used to them, but i liked the accuracy of my 671 more than the f8. maybe i need to play with the view some more

Steve, which display mode do you use for level meters?? How high is everyone pushign their f8's? ive ran mine to the point of getting the clip light top stick a time or two a show

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »
Good question: Which display mode are you using? I get people like options, but the various screens get confusing.

Does feel like you can push the unit more than the levels suggest, as I often come home and realize I had more room.

Apologies for hijacking thread but it kinda fits.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:13 AM »
You are correct on the line v. Mic inputs on the F8.  The add on 2 xlr adapter is interesting.  Apparently can be added to the F8 as well although I don't really foresee needing that many tracks.  It would be a relatively inexpensive way to add 2 inputs though since it only runs about $70.

I believe that 2 XLR attachment does not pass phantom power though, even though it accepts line and mic level.  Those attachments came out for the H6, and I remember thinking of how cheap that was to have a 6 mic input recorder, only to find out that phantom can only be supplied to 4.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 07:45:17 AM »
Yeah, I'd totally use TRS plugs, but the F8 does not pass phantom power through them.

Excellent point of course, which I absent-mindedly didn't make in my response.  If I didn't use the phantom from my external preamps, I'd definitely be putting my attenuators to use.

Thanks, guys.  The maximum input spec is kind of difficult to interpret for both the F4 and F8 (it is with the "10 dB headroom limiter" on); I assume it is 4 dBu with the limiter off?  Factor in the minimum 10 dB gain and a little headroom and it gets pretty tight (especially since my main mics are ~ 9.8 dB more sensitive than, say, MK4s).  Still pretty interesting as an all-in-one, though, even if some attenuators might be necessary.  I am pretty sure Naiant even sells XLR cables with attenuation built into the connectors...

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
I preordered one!  I was looking into more expensive solutions, but I don't run 4 channels very often so figured I'd give the f4 a shot.  I can run my tinybox on the 5/6 to run 6 channels of mics and still have a really small foot print. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com