Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 14859 times)

Offline Moke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • m0k3 - √!n¥¬ 633|<
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
Question for you all.
I'm considering using the DR-70 Line out instead of my usual DR-60 Line out to stream (audio only) at an upcoming two day festival (a mix of funk, jamgrass, americana etc.). With the DR-60 I was able to control the Line Out output gain, but with the DR-70 I have no such option, other than the -102/+12db Output Level settings with the Output Gain set to Line.

I'm reasonably confident I can make up for any gain with the Adobe FMLE software I use to stream.  Is there any other considerations I should have with regard to the output of the DR-70?

I'll be running 4 channels into the recorder, two soundboard, two mics.

Any thoughts appreciated.

This is sort of a bassackwards approach, but,... you can also use the headphone output jack as a variable gain output source. You won't be able to monitor with cans, but, you do have the option of variable gain output.
Sent From My Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
Question for you all.
I'm considering using the DR-70 Line out instead of my usual DR-60 Line out to stream (audio only) at an upcoming two day festival (a mix of funk, jamgrass, americana etc.). With the DR-60 I was able to control the Line Out output gain, but with the DR-70 I have no such option, other than the -102/+12db Output Level settings with the Output Gain set to Line.

I'm reasonably confident I can make up for any gain with the Adobe FMLE software I use to stream.  Is there any other considerations I should have with regard to the output of the DR-70?

I'll be running 4 channels into the recorder, two soundboard, two mics.

Any thoughts appreciated.

This is sort of a bassackwards approach, but,... you can also use the headphone output jack as a variable gain output source. You won't be able to monitor with cans, but, you do have the option of variable gain output.
The DR-70 headphone output is kind of lame in my opinion, and I will want to have it available to listen.
I'm not sure what you mean about my approach, how would you suggest I feed the stream?

Offline Moke

• m0k3 - √!n¥¬ 633|<
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »
I was referring to my own suggestion of the h.phone amp as bassackwards, preemptively; nothing to do with yours.
Sent From My Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
I was referring to my own suggestion of the h.phone amp as bassackwards, preemptively; nothing to do with yours.
Got it thanks!
I was re-reading my post thinking I had something backwards, which is always possible.

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
If you are using anything except phantom powered microphones, make sure you turn off phantom before plugging anything into the xlr inputs.

Read this:  http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rm_vb.pdf

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying working with this new recorder, we are starting to get along quite well.

Thanks for selling it to me, and answering some of my initial questions to get started.
CA-14 Cardoid Mic's - CA-11 Omni's - Rode M5 Mic's
CA 9200 PreAmp - CA UBB - Rolls Mic Power II B
Busman MOD Tascam DR-70D - TASCAM DR-100MKII 

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (18)
    • my list
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
question for folks that run a pre in front.  so I'm running line in on all channels, 1/2 from pre and 3/4 for sbd.  do you do low or mid gain?  I want to get all/most gain from the pre and have been using low.  With the gain on the Femto (pre) set the same I find I have to add more gain with the 70d than when I use the m10.  going to play around with it in front of the stereo but was wondering.
Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km140 > Sound Devices MixPre-6

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/gordonlw

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
now I have to ask if low, mid etc even matter for line in?  I just tested both with the gain the exact same on the preamp (femto) with the same song at the same volume and max peak/levels were identical!

Offline CorFit Chris

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »

Going to try my new unit picked uo in the yard sale this weekend. Eventually I would like to run CA-14 in the input for ch 1 and 2, which internal setting would I choose there ?

thx

Just to add, when recording outdoors I also use CA-14 omni's split apart as channels 1&2 (mini plug) with the 70D's plug in power, while supporting AKG 483's with Phantom48 to channels 3&4.  I find that there is little to no noticeable difference from using my battery box.  I am sure there are times this may not be the case, but I have recorded loud festivals and the CA's sound great on PIP.  For what its worth, you may not need to get a battery box for your CA-14 right away.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/orithris
Mics: AKG c460 & c480 (ck61 & ck63) | CA-14 omni | SP-SPSM-9
Recorders: Tascam DR-70d  |  Tascam DR-60d 
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2017, 06:38:48 AM »
now I have to ask if low, mid etc even matter for line in?  I just tested both with the gain the exact same on the preamp (femto) with the same song at the same volume and max peak/levels were identical!

AFAIK, the gain range selection (low/mid/high/high+) only matters if input type is set to MIC, be that on the combo jacks or the miniplug input.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »

AFAIK, the gain range selection (low/mid/high/high+) only matters if input type is set to MIC, be that on the combo jacks or the miniplug input.

That sounds right given the results I had.  thanks!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
Not that it's necessarily an issue specific to the 70D, but I recently had a bit of a hiccup running one of these batteries to power my 70D:

Recommended External Batteries: (These batteries have been used by members with the 70D specifically.)

Generic "Power Bank" 20,000 mAh UltraThin - shown in use here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrathin-20000mAh-Portable-External-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-for-Cell-Phone/351755095213

Between an opener and the main act the battery showed 66% remaining (I think it started the show in the 70s, so the rest should have been way more than enough to finish out the show).  Only a couple of minutes into the main act the battery died, going straight to 0%.  I'm not sure if there is something wrong with that battery in particular, or if it's just a matter of subpar readout of the amount remaining, but I figured I'd give others a heads up to watch out for that.  Otherwise the battery is great...it takes quite a while to go from 100% to the 70% range!
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | Countryman B3 | CA-14 omnis | AT853 cards | AKG 460/ck61 | Studio Projects CS5
Decks: Zoom F4 | Tascam DR-70D | Roland R-05

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2017, 01:51:49 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but for those who use the DR70D to make 4 channel recordings, what is your method for playing back those four tracks from four separate speakers? I have an A/V receiver with separate analog inputs. But the deck only has stereo out.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline voltronic

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
Not that it's necessarily an issue specific to the 70D, but I recently had a bit of a hiccup running one of these batteries to power my 70D:

Recommended External Batteries: (These batteries have been used by members with the 70D specifically.)

Generic "Power Bank" 20,000 mAh UltraThin - shown in use here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrathin-20000mAh-Portable-External-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-for-Cell-Phone/351755095213

Between an opener and the main act the battery showed 66% remaining (I think it started the show in the 70s, so the rest should have been way more than enough to finish out the show).  Only a couple of minutes into the main act the battery died, going straight to 0%.  I'm not sure if there is something wrong with that battery in particular, or if it's just a matter of subpar readout of the amount remaining, but I figured I'd give others a heads up to watch out for that.  Otherwise the battery is great...it takes quite a while to go from 100% to the 70% range!

Well, something to be aware of is that the first two of those "Power Bank" batteries I purchased have been excellent performers, but recently I bought I third and it was not the same.  Cosmetically / dimensionally identical, but much lighter weight.  It dies very quickly charging a phone, and is completely worthless.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the discharge curve for many batteries often takes a steep plunge downward after a certain point.  So given a constant draw, the time it takes you to go from 100% to 50% may be much longer than 50% to 0.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline voltronic

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but for those who use the DR70D to make 4 channel recordings, what is your method for playing back those four tracks from four separate speakers? I have an A/V receiver with separate analog inputs. But the deck only has stereo out.

You're describing something like Quadrophonic, which was a fad surround-ish technique that required 4 speakers surrounding the listener.  There are certain modern surround / ambiance recording techniques that may benefit from similar playback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not making recordings such as these; you're just using two stereo mic arrays for a concert, correct?  I do this sometimes, and you load them into your DAW and mix away but the end result is always a 2-channel stereo file.

The 70D only has the stereo out, and regardless of the number of tracks you have or the configuration of them, that output is being fed a 2-channel stereo mixdown of everything.  It's not possible to do what you're suggesting direct from the 70D, but I don't see why you'd want to.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »

You're describing something like Quadrophonic, which was a fad surround-ish technique that required 4 speakers surrounding the listener.  There are certain modern surround / ambiance recording techniques that may benefit from similar playback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not making recordings such as these; you're just using two stereo mic arrays for a concert, correct?  I do this sometimes, and you load them into your DAW and mix away but the end result is always a 2-channel stereo file.

The 70D only has the stereo out, and regardless of the number of tracks you have or the configuration of them, that output is being fed a 2-channel stereo mixdown of everything.  It's not possible to do what you're suggesting direct from the 70D, but I don't see why you'd want to.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm trying some Quadrophonic recordings with 4 microphones that put a listener in the center of four surround speakers (which many people have in their home theaters). I have to load the 4-Track recordings into Audacity and burn it as a 4-channel Audio-DVD in order to review the recording on a multi-speaker setup.

But since writing my question, I remembered that you can play the DR70D recording back on a DR680 (which has six individual track outputs) if you modify the file or the folder that it's in -- I can't recall. I'll have to look it up.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com