Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A couple of newb questions  (Read 7376 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
A couple of newb questions
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
I've got a Roland R-05, CA Ugly BB,and CA14 omnis.  I have a couple of questions:

1) Should the plug coming out of the BB go to the mic or line in of the R-05?

2) If I don't use the bass rolloff for an outdoor show and pick up wind noise, could I apply a bass rolloff in post and get the same result as if I'd used it in the first place?

Thanks!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: A couple of newb questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
Wind noise can not really be fixed, only prevented.

Bass roll off can be applied later if needed, but if there is no bass, it can not be effectively restored later.

bass roll off is for speech, not music, in my experience.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heathen

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
I'll try it without any bass rolloff.

If I plug the CA BB into the mic input, should I have plug-in power on or off?  I've tried searching and haven't found a definitive answer.  (This is for a rock show, btw.)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
I'd go with line in if you can get some levels for the house music, say -20dB but if you can't get the house to show at all then maybe try the mic in. Plug in power is not needed with the battery box.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »
Play around with the settings on a few shows that you don't care how they come out. I'd suggest line in for loud shows, mic in only for when you aren't getting much input with the line in. Go 24 bit and you can amplify it later without getting hiss

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »
Too late! Bring some earbuds so you can take a listen to the opener.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

jcable77

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
Shouldn't have too much of an issue with wind noise with Omni's. I've never used ca-14s so I can't say for sure but in my experience you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »
Note that if you use bass rolloff but increase the gain, you end up with just as much signal, just more skewed toward the treble and mids. So "you can't restore bass once you roll it off" isn't quite right — you might as well argue that rolling off bass is necessary because you can't restore treble that isn't recorded.

(And no, I don't generally use bass rolloff, but I also don't get the argument that it's discarding information, not when there's a gain setting right there.)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
So "you can't restore bass once you roll it off" isn't quite right — you might as well argue that rolling off bass is necessary because you can't restore treble that isn't recorded.

Maybe I am misinterpreting this, but I don't think it is really accurate.  Bass roll-off doesn't have any effect on higher frequencies, at least not in absolute terms, whereas it definitely reduces the low frequency content (both absolutely and relatively).  Depending on the corner and slope, you could lose some low frequency content to an extent that EQ'ing it back in would be difficult/impossible (particularly when coupled with proximity effects from directional microphones or with microphones that don't have good low frequency response to begin with).

For the OP, given the sensitivity of those mics, you can probably go either mic-in (on low) or line-in for most shows.  According to the specs, there is an 8 dBu difference at the "default input level" (whatever that may be), so there is probably a pretty big overlap between the two.  If it is really loud, go line, and if it is really quiet, go mic...

Offline heathen

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Thanks all.  I went line in, without bass rolloff, and it seems to have turned out pretty well.

ilduclo

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »
Cool, post it in the kick down thread :coolguy:

Offline heathen

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
Is it okay to post  >:D recordings in there?

ilduclo

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
I guess it depends on the artist. Some don't want tapers at all, most don't care

here's a link to a list of non-taper friendly artists, and ones with other restrictions like no soundboards, no video, etc

http://wiki.dimeadozen.org/index.php/NAB

Offline heathen

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
This artist has apparently allowed taping sporadically, but last night's show specifically said no audio recording.

ilduclo

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
I'd say no uploads, then :(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com