Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 113590 times)

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
Why are people not using the supplied USB cable?
Want right angle, only have one port available on your battery??

The supplied cable, while nice quality, is rather bulky compared to the mix pre 3, and unwieldy as well. the usb-c connector sticks out way to far for my liking and is not snug, it has some wiggle room. The wiggle room concerns me b/c I don't want it to torque the connector on the mix pre 3 (if that makes sense).

Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2017, 11:32:39 PM »
Got mine and unboxed it. Wow, I second those that said this thing is tiny. Here are some pics of it against the 744t and Tascam DR100mkIII.

I'll have some runtimes DPA4023 > mixpre3 using 4 brand new/fully-charged x Powerex 2700 mAh later today.

that's the thing....  i don't want tiny, necessarily.  i want usefulness.

i want a mixpre in 8 kashmir powered xlr/trs inputs and a spdif digital input (call it a mixpre10...?); in the size of a 744 box or smaller. 

i'd pay a handsome amount for that.  mostly because i would never have to buy anything else again.

of course, we still need the hold functions, lights out functions, etc...  but that's all firmware updates.  that said, i feel like there is very much a market (not only for us) but for tv and film for a box like i described above. 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:34:49 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »

I believe the default signal path looks like this:

Mic -> Preamp -> Fader -> Stereo Mix

I interpret the video demonstration to be instructing us how to modify the path to this:

Mic -> Preamp -> Fader -> ISO Track

My interpretation extends to the belief that in neither of these cases is the Fader controlling Preamp gain—only post-preamp signal level.

I'm still hopeful faders can be configured to control preamp gain. I just haven't seen any explicit demonstrations of this. And I don't yet have a unit I can experiment with.

It would be good to know if it is actually possible to configure this signal path on the MixPre-6:

Mic -> Fader -> Preamp -> ISO Track
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline b_curl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »

I interpret the video demonstration to be instructing us how to modify the path to this:

My interpretation extends to the belief that in neither of these cases is the Fader controlling Preamp gain—only post-preamp signal level.

I'm still hopeful faders can be configured to control preamp gain. I just haven't seen any explicit demonstrations of this. And I don't yet have a unit I can experiment with.

It would be good to know if it is actually possible to configure this signal path on the MixPre-6:

Me too!

I know the MixPre's are professional pieces of kit and these numerous files that are recorded simultaneously, but if i'm recording a simple Stereo recording, i would love the option of just the the two channels. That's it. Basically i bought mine for the super  quiet pre amps and limiters.

Just taking a stab in the dark, but limiting the recording of just basic ISO tracks could potentially save on battery?

Definitely not hating on SD or the MixPre's - I'm loving my 3! But to have an option of a simple set up where the channel dials control the gain and simple one track recording per channel [which i was kinda expecting] would be great too.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »

Me too!

I know the MixPre's are professional pieces of kit and these numerous files that are recorded simultaneously, but if i'm recording a simple Stereo recording, i would love the option of just the the two channels. That's it. Basically i bought mine for the super  quiet pre amps and limiters.

Just taking a stab in the dark, but limiting the recording of just basic ISO tracks could potentially save on battery?

Definitely not hating on SD or the MixPre's - I'm loving my 3! But to have an option of a simple set up where the channel dials control the gain and simple one track recording per channel [which i was kinda expecting] would be great too.

This has been discussed several times earlier on this thread and can be done.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »

Me too!

I feel uncertain about this. I know that we can control the level of the preamp going to the mix or to the ISO track. But can we control the level of the microphone going into the preamp?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline b_curl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »

[/quote]

For the dials controlling the gain, there's a work around, which i've followed and is fine by me. But i was of the understanding that it still doesn't directly control the gain. Anyway, its not a big deal for me. The single track recordings on the other hand i would love to know how to make that work. I've been following this thread since it began and the older one. Perhaps it has been covered. But much of the terminology i'm not so familiar with.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
Here you go guys- This is what you were looking for.

Jesse

An important change to Paul's instructions re gain knobs:

" I said in my earlier comment that you set Channel to Basic - that's wrong - I meant set Gain to Basic so that your ISOs are post channel fader knob."

[from jwsoundgroup.net]

Further clarification from that site, posted by Mobilemike:

"It seems to me though that in Custom mode, if you set "Gain" to "Basic" but leave "Channel" on "Advanced" (and Record on Advanced like Paul said) then that approaches what we want to do. Namely in this mode it seems like the channel faders do act like gain pots (albeit with the modified -14-96db range), but since the channel is in advanced mode you still have access to all of the other channel settings like full pan, low cut settings, and linking."
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
But can we control the level of the microphone going into the preamp?

Isn't the level from the microphone determined by the SPLs of the source and the mic sensitivity?  I must be reading this wrong...

of course, we still need the hold functions, lights out functions, etc...  but that's all firmware updates.  that said, i feel like there is very much a market (not only for us) but for tv and film for a box like i described above. 

"We" aren't necessarily monolithic in our needs.  Personally, I have no need for eight pres, spdif, or even lights out.  I definitely have a really strong preference for small, though, and hold would be nice.  Different strokes and all.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »

Isn't the level from the microphone determined by the SPLs of the source and the mic sensitivity?  I must be reading this wrong...

I said it clumsily, but what I meant was: given that the source and mic sensitivity are fixed, can we control the level of the sound going into the preamp, or is the record level/fader control always post-preamp?

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »

I said it clumsily, but what I meant was: given that the source and mic sensitivity are fixed, can we control the level of the sound going into the preamp, or is the record level/fader control always post-preamp?

Jesse

" I said in my earlier comment that you set Channel to Basic - that's wrong - I meant set Gain to Basic so that your ISOs are post channel fader knob."

[from jwsoundgroup.net]

"It seems to me though that in Custom mode, if you set "Gain" to "Basic" but leave "Channel" on "Advanced" (and Record on Advanced like Paul said) then that approaches what we want to do. Namely in this mode it seems like the channel faders do act like gain pots (albeit with the modified -14-96db range), but since the channel is in advanced mode you still have access to all of the other channel settings like full pan, low cut settings, and linking."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:39:47 AM by Jhurlbs81 »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »

Jesse

[from jwsoundgroup.net]

I just want to know for sure: is it Mic -> Fader -> Preamp -> ISO Track.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »

Yes, you can control the microphone's gain going into the preamp by setting "gain" to basic in the menu.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »

I just want to know for sure: is it Mic -> Fader -> Preamp -> ISO Track.

I think there's a lot of confusion around this, though perhaps it is my confusion about the terminology being thrown around.  If in the above diagram "Fader" equals "the Fader gain stage" and "Preamp" means the "Kashmir mic preamp gain stage", then I guess that is a question to be answered by Sound Devices, though I assume the "Fader gain stage" always comes after the "Kashmir mic preamp" stage.  Otherwise, I think there might be confusion around how gain stages work.

Much more than likely it isn't really a question of Mic -> Fader -> Preamp -> ISO Track vs. an alternative of Mic -> Preamp -> Fader -> ISO Track

Gain stages aren't configured like that these days, esp when you're developing a preamp that is as quiet as the Mixpre series or can accept as wide of a mic input range as it does (from a very quiet low-level mic signal to a really hot mic signal up to +14dbu).  That is, you don't really have either pathway above where the fader is something like an attenuator in line with the preamp gain stage (before or after).

Instead, the channel knobs/fader control the amount of gain coming from the gain stage.  So it is like this:

Mic  ---> Preamp  ---> ISO track
                   ^^
                   | |
                Fader

So the fader/gain control/channel knob doesn't come either before or after the preamp, it just controls the amount of gain coming from the preamp.

Beyond this, Sound Devices probably has several gain stages built into the Mixpre series, including their Kashmir mic preamps.  This is a block diagram they've shared of the 6-series mixer/recorders:

The Mixpre-6/-3 probably looks something like this, with a (guessing here) trim gain stage (Kashmir mic preamps) providing say 0-70db of gain, a fader gain stage providing -20db to 20db of gain (in basic mode, -infinity for advanced mode), and 6db at the output stage.  Thus, 3 gain stages combine to provide a maximum of 96db of gain, or a range of -14db of gain to 96db of gain in basic mode, as has been reported before.

For a 3-stage gain set up like this (again, my guess, though it conforms to the gain block diagram SD has provided for the 6-series), you'd have a final output gain fixed at 6db and then the Kashmir mic preamp gain stage combined with the fader gain stage to provide -20db to 90db of gain (before the final 6db output gain stage). 

So the signal path diagram is:  Mic input -> Kashmir mic preamp (0-70db gain) -> Fader gain stage (-20db to 20db) -> output gain stage (fixed 6db) -> ISO tracks.

In any case, the fader/channel knobs wouldn't come after or before the Kashmir mic preamps, they'd just control the amount of gain provided.

Now whether the basic mode puts the fader gain stage before the kashmir mic preamp gain stage, or whether in Basic mode the mixpre switches from a 3-gain stage configuration to a 2-gain stage configuration (kashmir mic preamps and output gain stage, skipping the fader gain stage), I have no idea.  But if overall the Mixpre across the full signal path provides an EIN of -128dbu and a dynamic range of 120db, I'm not sure why it really matters. ???
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »
Started another battery runtime test with the mixpre-6, 4x MBHO mics (48V phantom power) + and the RAVPower 26800mAh powerbank.
Will report the results tomorrow...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com