Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 110680 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »
What SD cards is everyone using successfully?  I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme (80MB/s) but want to find a 64GB card that is solid.  It sounds as if 128's are still a bit questionable.  ???

ive been using delkin device cards. they are an approved card by SD. Adorama has them ,a little pricey but made in the usa and lifetime warranty.

No problems with 128GB on multiple recordings using all six channels (But I do not record the mix), with the Lexar 128GB card. I have recorded with the first firmware upgrade, and now the current firmware upgrade, no issues at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBNQ1LC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
Saw this as well...very cool

https://www.amazon.com/Indipro-Tools-D-Tap-Power-Converter/dp/B018MW0E7G/ref=pd_day0_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B018MW0E7G&pd_rd_r=SM34H2WX0M6BXDFENJ2T&pd_rd_w=EZDm6&pd_rd_wg=rK766&psc=1&refRID=SM34H2WX0M6BXDFENJ2T

^
Noah found this:  https://www.amazon.com/Indipro-Tools-2-5mm-Regulated-Battery/dp/B00TQEW9SC

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182573.msg2232948#msg2232948

The 2.5mm DC Power Cable to Regulated Sony L-Series Dummy Battery from Indipro Tools is a 2' cable that terminates in a 7.4V regulated Sony L-Series type dummy battery which fits into one of the battery-slots of a Power Pod Dual/Quad system (sold separately). The other end of the cable has a 2.5mm barrel connector. The cable is polarity tested with the Indipro Power Pod Dual & Quad Systems, preventing the risk of crossed polarity when powering your camera. Although you can use this cable to connect other optional power solutions with a 2.5mm connector to power your device, this cable has only been polarity tested with the Indipro Tools Power Pod Dual & Quad Systems. Works with Power Pod Dual & Quad systems to provide power to devices that accept Sony L-Series batteries

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:19:56 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
I ordered a Hawk-Woods custom dummy last week. I didn't want to spend another $40 on hirose cable so I decided to go with a 2.5mm RA plug to work with my RAVPower external. It is making the trip across the pond now. I'll post pictures when I get it. Hoping my L Mount sled arrives next week too and I will be good to go with a Sony NP-F570 in the other side.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Indipro-Tools-D-Tap-Power-Converter/dp/B018MW0E7G/ref=pd_day0_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B018MW0E7G&pd_rd_r=SM34H2WX0M6BXDFENJ2T&pd_rd_w=EZDm6&pd_rd_wg=rK766&psc=1&refRID=SM34H2WX0M6BXDFENJ2T

^
Noah found this:  https://www.amazon.com/Indipro-Tools-2-5mm-Regulated-Battery/dp/B00TQEW9SC

The 2.5mm DC Power Cable to Regulated Sony L-Series Dummy Battery from Indipro Tools is a 2' cable that terminates in a 7.4V regulated Sony L-Series type dummy battery which fits into one of the battery-slots of a Power Pod Dual/Quad system (sold separately). The other end of the cable has a 2.5mm barrel connector. The cable is polarity tested with the Indipro Power Pod Dual & Quad Systems, preventing the risk of crossed polarity when powering your camera. Although you can use this cable to connect other optional power solutions with a 2.5mm connector to power your device, this cable has only been polarity tested with the Indipro Tools Power Pod Dual & Quad Systems. Works with Power Pod Dual & Quad systems to provide power to devices that accept Sony L-Series batteries

DL,

Enlighten me if possible:
When you use a dummy Sony L connector are you losing your secondary source of power?

I would always prefer to run the MixPre6 with a backup power source just in case a battery dies or somehow the connecting cable gets violently yanked. I use my Rav Power battery or a few others into the mixpre via USB C. There really is no scenario where it gets yanked though, because it sits in a bag. Since I have a LG G6 phone that uses USB C, I really like that connector. I find there are lots of USB C ready batteries that were designed to work and output via USB C an they run the deck correctly at full power. Plus the USB C connector is very sturdy, it is not inclined to come out even if yanked hard. I have never liked the Sony Batteries but for sure if I did use them, I would not want to just run the deck on one source of power which would mean no swapping ability either. I am trying to see the advantage, but that may just be for those who are or have been using SD 7 series decks.

That said, you usually know what the heck you are doing... 8)

Offline dpower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Hey, Tapers.

I took delivery of my MixPre-6 earlier today. Early impressions are very positive.

Interestingly, it had already been updated to firmware v1.11.

I've configured it with knobs acting as gain controls and I've disabled L&R mix recording.

However, with L&R disabled, I don't hear anything through the headphones when I play a recorded file back UNLESS I solo the channel.

Is it possible to hear the file without soloing? Is there a configuration option I've somehow missed? Anyone know?

Thanks,
dp

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Hey, Tapers.

I took delivery of my MixPre-6 earlier today. Early impressions are very positive.

Interestingly, it had already been updated to firmware v1.11.

I've configured it with knobs acting as gain controls and I've disabled L&R mix recording.

However, with L&R disabled, I don't hear anything through the headphones when I play a recorded file back UNLESS I solo the channel.

Is it possible to hear the file without soloing? Is there a configuration option I've somehow missed? Anyone know?

Thanks,
dp
There is an entire Headphone (HP) menu. It is upper left on the home screen. You can set many options in Advanced mode and there are a few options in basic mode. You can set presets also.

Offline celticrogues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2017, 05:27:47 PM »
By default the headphone output is set to the L-R mix. So if you've disabled the L-R mix then you won't hear anything until you go in and adjust the headphones so you are listening to the individual tracks.

-Mike
Michael Fowler
www.mobilemikesny.com

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
I ordered a Hawk-Woods custom dummy last week. I didn't want to spend another $40 on hirose cable so I decided to go with a 2.5mm RA plug to work with my RAVPower external. It is making the trip across the pond now. I'll post pictures when I get it. Hoping my L Mount sled arrives next week too and I will be good to go with a Sony NP-F570 in the other side.

I have the Hawk-Woods dummy cell now.  I'll post pictures of it later in the L-Mount sled and with a Sony NP-F570 in the other side.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:40:02 PM by dactylus »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »

^

DL,

Enlighten me if possible:
When you use a dummy Sony L connector are you losing your secondary source of power?

I would always prefer to run the MixPre6 with a backup power source just in case a battery dies or somehow the connecting cable gets violently yanked. I use my Rav Power battery or a few others into the mixpre via USB C. There really is no scenario where it gets yanked though, because it sits in a bag. Since I have a LG G6 phone that uses USB C, I really like that connector. I find there are lots of USB C ready batteries that were designed to work and output via USB C an they run the deck correctly at full power. Plus the USB C connector is very sturdy, it is not inclined to come out even if yanked hard. I have never liked the Sony Batteries but for sure if I did use them, I would not want to just run the deck on one source of power which would mean no swapping ability either. I am trying to see the advantage, but that may just be for those who are or have been using SD 7 series decks.

That said, you usually know what the heck you are doing... 8)

dallman,

I have a bunch of the Sony style batteries.  I also have the Sound Devices L-Mount sled.  The L-Mount sled has slots in it for two batteries, so you keep the hot-swappable option and you retain your backup battery with this setup.  I also have a bunch of Naztech PB15000 batteries that I'm already using with Hirose connectors.  So choosing the L-Mount sled + the Hirose dummy cell was a no brainer for me.  This option wouldn't be for all users but it will work for me. 

The main drawback for the L-Mount sled would be trying to use it with two Sony style 7800maH batteries.  The use of those large capacity, sony style batteries produces a heavy, unwieldy, monstrosity if you are running this setup in a bag.  Those 7800maH batteries are too tall to be used with the L-Mount sled and fit comfortably in a bag.  But with the much lower profile Sony NP-F570 battery + the Hawk-Woods LR-06, Hirose dummy cell you have what I consider a good powering option for the MixPre-6 or MixPre-3.

I will post photos today of my Hawk-Woods dummy cell & the Sony NP-F570 battery that I'll be using.

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/power-accessories/mx-lmount

Optional L-Mount battery sled for the Sound Devices MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 audio recorders. This sled holds two hot-swappable, Lithium-Ion batteries (not included). The sled is compatible with Sony® L-type batteries.

Hawk-Woods LR-06 dummy cell battery - http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/LR-06

The Sony NP-F570 is 5/8" in height.

David

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:42:38 AM by dactylus »

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
That was my question was how the batteries are oriented on the sled to fit in a bag comfortably.  I have 8800 cells now that are about the same size as the 7800s.
   Seems like that British vendor is pretty quick as well.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
That was my question was how the batteries are oriented on the sled to fit in a bag comfortably.  I have 8800 cells now that are about the same size as the 7800s.
   Seems like that British vendor is pretty quick as well.

Those large capacity Sony style batteries DO NOT fit well when you have two of them in the L-Mount sled.  The dummy cell + a smaller, Sony style battery are barely wider than the L-mount sled.  Photos later today.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2017, 02:11:51 AM »

Not if you're also using a USB-C battery. My plan is to use the dummy cell linked above as a redundant power option, or for festival use. I'm really happy with the anker powercore+ usb-c battery as the main powering option. It's a very secure connection, the batteries themselves are inexpensive, they have 5v USB as well, they are very inexpensive, and run the Mixpre6 forever.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »
Is it possible to pause/resume recording on the MixPre 3/6?
- What's this knob do?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »
Anyone try lithiums? I'm only getting a little over 3 hours. MP3. 2 channels. Phantom on. BT off. Naiant actives, AKG. 60V PFA.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com