Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording quiet shows - Settings?  (Read 8037 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Re: Recording quiet shows - Settings?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
You shouldn't be getting hiss (obviously), so you need to isolate the problem.  Check everything individually: cables, connections, deck, mics and pre to find out where it's coming from.  Do this at home with headphones on at a high input.  You won't need to record a source, since you are trying to find out what is wrong with your equipment.  I use an M10 and have never experienced a hiss at any input volume, so you shouldn't either.  As for recording quiet shows, I would suggest setting your levels to the crowd.  Since the crowd generally sucks, you don't want them to be the reason you peak out.  Peak your high at around -6 and set the limiter to on to be safe.

I don't think there is any problems with my gear. The hiss is not overwhelming. It's just that it is present in the background and I don't like it. It's not impossible that I'm just too sensitive.

I actually tried the gear again today and I can't hear any hiss except from the line-out (headphones) on M10. I'm starting to think that most of the hiss I hear is white noise from adding gain/EQ in post.

I will tape a (most likely) quiet show on Wednesday. I'll turn the dial on M10 to 5 or maybe even 6 instead of 4 as I usually do. Hopefully this will bring less hiss in post.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »

Yes. 24 bit / 48 kHz.  8)

well, consider it could also be your sound system.  I just can't see getting hiss from the m10 with any reasonable levels at 24 bit ???

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »
^ all good advice.

Are you certain that this is isn't ambient noise in the room like an HVAC system. While it may get buried into the noise floor at a louder show you will definitely hear it at a quiet show. As you increase the gain you will increase that noise as well.
This is M10 selfnoise. I'm pretty sure. It's there before and after the shows as well.

When you say the noise is the "before and after the shows", are you saying before and after the set while still at the venue, or did you try everything with the same settings at home, in a very quiet room, mics under pillows / blankets / etc?  My first thought was PA or other environmental noise as well.  The mic self-noise as well as the M10 self-noise shouldn't be an issue in my experience, unless you're cranking the M10 really high or something is set wrong.

Yes the MIC in is more than safe to use on the M10 with quieter material.  Just make sure your MIC SENS switch on the bottom is set to LOW.

Why not post a sample file here for some of us to listen to / look at?  That might help narrow down the source of your noise.

You might also want to post your question in the main M10 discussion thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170179.240
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com