Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 494 times)

vanark and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rally555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
New to the forum
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:07:03 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be a part of it.  My name is Jesse Anderson a recording engineer in San Antonio, TX.  I've been recording for Trinity University's Jazz and Wind Ensemble for 17 years now.  I only record in two track to get the blast.  My recording equipment includes several Nagra IV S' with the QGB adaptor and my digit backup is Sound Devices 702.  I look forward to chatting with the group. 

Sincerely,
Jesse

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:32:03 AM »

Recording on reel to reel?

That's pretty sweet.

How would you compare the Nagra tracks to the SD 702 tracks?

What kind of mics are you using?
MK41 > PFA > Aerco MP2/RAD MS2 > DR60d/DR2d
MBHO KA300 > Naiant PFA > SD MixPre6 (currently under construction)

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Welcome Jesse.
I read your intro last week and wanted to add that your style/genre of recording isn't common around here but is a welcome addition. Check out posts by voltronic who records a lot of marching bands and musical ensembles.
What are your mic/preamp choices and do they differ with Nagra vs SD702?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline heesu

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
Welcome!

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jesse!

Do you use two mics only, or do you ever mix sources to get your two channels?

I only record in two track to get the blast.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be a part of it.  My name is Jesse Anderson a recording engineer in San Antonio, TX.  I've been recording for Trinity University's Jazz and Wind Ensemble for 17 years now.  I only record in two track to get the blast.  My recording equipment includes several Nagra IV S' with the QGB adaptor and my digit backup is Sound Devices 702.  I look forward to chatting with the group. 

Sincerely,
Jesse

bring that nagra to Dead and Company at Erwin Center in December!
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 
AT853u (cards, hypers)
Sound Professionals (omnis)

Pres and a/d's:
Oade ACM Grace Lunatec V3
bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Sound Professionals 2 wire battbox w/ rolloff

Recorders:
Oade CM Edirol R-44
Edirol R-09

Offline Rally555

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
My mic choices are two sets AT 4033A's which I use on both machines quite a bit.  My other mic choice is two Sennheiser MKH 406T.  The Nagra will take the T power.  The other mics are AKG 414 and that is usually for the Sound Device 702.  But sometimes those are a little to bright for the digital recording.  The mic amps on both are spot on, no need to use anything else.  I use no mixing source.  The other mics I use sometimes are Rode NT1-A which I like a lot too.  I use the Rode for either machine depending on how I'm feeling. 

I use 10 inch reels BASF 468 and tape speed is Nagra Master 15.  It is setup just for that machine which gives it a higher frequency response and a little bit more dynamic.  That is a half hour of recording and I can usually make it to intermission allowing me to rewind and put a new spool on.  If not I have the Sound Device as backup so it is all good.  The Sound Device I record at 24b/192k.  I do it at it's highest rate which is awesome.  I have yet to use the Sound Device as the Master copy.  The analog sound is just amazing. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:04:38 AM »
My mic choices are two sets AT 4033A's which I use on both machines quite a bit.  My other mic choice is two Sennheiser MKH 406T.  The Nagra will take the T power.  The other mics are AKG 414 and that is usually for the Sound Device 702.  But sometimes those are a little to bright for the digital recording.  The mic amps on both are spot on, no need to use anything else.  I use no mixing source.  The other mics I use sometimes are Rode NT1-A which I like a lot too.  I use the Rode for either machine depending on how I'm feeling. 

I use 10 inch reels BASF 468 and tape speed is Nagra Master 15.  It is setup just for that machine which gives it a higher frequency response and a little bit more dynamic.  That is a half hour of recording and I can usually make it to intermission allowing me to rewind and put a new spool on.  If not I have the Sound Device as backup so it is all good.  The Sound Device I record at 24b/192k.  I do it at it's highest rate which is awesome.  I have yet to use the Sound Device as the Master copy.  The analog sound is just amazing.
imo it would be cool to run a set of AT into both the analog and digital recorders as a comp and see how the differences sound
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com