Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Fumbling through EQing...could use input on a sample

(1/2) > >>

heathen:
These samples are pretty small file sizes...

Without EQ: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HBWAAdQaPoStOo_V0b-ZZPRcu8kvQ7IN
With EQ: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pII-REF78Ftmo3_GddmDMrB8aIm305ok

I think the EQ'd sample sounds better, but I'm curious how other ears feel about it.  Did I EQ too much?  Did I EQ incorrectly?  I know a lot of this is subjective, but I think some other perspectives can at least be helpful for trying something I haven't thought of, or hearing something from a different "angle."

Also, I should mention that the sound system in this place is pretty bad, and the mix was nothing to write home about either.

Gutbucket:
I'd do more, personally.

Disclaimer- The curve below was arrived at via a quick-and-dirty dial in using AT in-ears right out of the computer, playing your non-EQ'd sample through VLC and using the built-in VLC graphic EQ.  It's probably partly compensating for whatever native response those AT in ears have, and I wouldn't trust the bottom-end EQ especially without listening and confirming on full-range speakers.

The midrange bump centered around 3kHz combined with the "room mud" cut centered the mid 100Hz range is the general thing here.  The very low end boost compensates for the mud cut on the phones, but may not translate correctly elsewhere.  It's then finding a smooth transition between those main centers, and small adjustments there have significant effect.

heathen:
Thanks Gut, I'll try to replicate those settings and give it a listen.  I think my EQ was in the same ballpark as yours, because I boosted the high end, boosted the middle around 2k/3k, and boosted the very low end.  What I didn't do was the cut around 100.  I'm curious to give your approach a listen!

SxPxDxCx:
The different between the two samples is pretty subtle.  Maybe it's because I've recorded at the Hi Dive so many times but I think it sounds good non EQ.  I think that room sounds generally pretty great.  Especially for metal.

heathen:

--- Quote from: SxPxDxCx on November 07, 2017, 10:31:10 PM ---The different between the two samples is pretty subtle.  Maybe it's because I've recorded at the Hi Dive so many times but I think it sounds good non EQ.  I think that room sounds generally pretty great.  Especially for metal.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the perspective.  Looking forward to seeing you at another show!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version