Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

What is going on here?

(1/6) > >>

vwmule:
I recorded Oteil and Friends last night in Silver Spring, Md., outside Washington. Strong performance and the sound was probably the best I've heard at the Fillmore, no doubt helped by venue allowing us to set up DFC rather than off to the side of board as is standard.

Yet listening to the recording reveals some really strange, annoying sound fluctuations. The volume will suddenly increase or decrease, giving a sorta "wavy" feel to certain passages. It's a bear to listen to.

A good example is Bertha: https://archive.org/details/oteil2017-11-06/oteil2017-11-06.vwmule.t14.flac

I cannot figure out what is up.

- Doesn't seem to be a loose cable; I inspected L and R channels and the fluctuation is present in each.
- The recorder settings were not changed, though before the show I upgraded to the latest MixPre firmware.
- I noticed some swaying of the stand when the audience started dancing, but nothing extreme. Could it be phasing? If so, I've never experienced anything like that.
- Could it be the venue PA? I didn't notice it at the show.

I'd appreciate any observations, thoughts you might have.

lsd2525:
Paging Gordon. He reported similar issues with his Mix Pre at NMAS the other night. Not sure if he got it sorted out.

IMPigpen:
I listened to the Bertha from your source and also the AKG C1000 source on archive and it's not a venue/PA issue since it's not present on the other source.  Very weird....

vwmule:
Thanks. I was waiting to compare with another source and hadn't seen that one.

You're right; it's not a venue thing.

Gutbucket:
Hey Alex, I suspect an issue with the Mixpre.  Maybe phantom power fluctuations.  It's not unlike the problem I and other folks were occasionally having a few years back with the Tascam DR-680, generally thought to be related to powering/overheating.  That firmware update is suspect to my way of thinking.

Bummer.  That recording sounds great otherwise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version