Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

4 stereo channel mixing

(1/4) > >>

jb63:
OK, this is a weird post.
Lately I've been linking 2 ocmR44s together and for the most part it syncs up just fine.
Then I get 4 stereo channels all lined up, but I've been using Sound Studio on an old mac to do the mixing. That lets me paste any % of any channel into another, but it doesn't let me turn the knobs in real time to, say, add a bit more omni into a card source while listening. All I can do is know what I want beforehand and make the mix then listen back and see how it sounds.

Here's an example:

http://www.mediafire.com/?uv6pswmtt9c9a

(they sound much better in a deeper bit depth, but you'll get the idea.)

I can't seem to get the mix I want out of these, but all I can do is paste various % amounts into other amounts and see how it sounds.
What I WANT to do is have a program (that works on a mac) that I can load all 4 stereo channels into and then turn the knobs to the amount I want to hear from each channel and finalize the mix.

As a kind of desperate measure, I was even thinking that if I had a unit (I was thinking an F8) that would allow me that option on playback, I could just mix it down after the show and record a final mix in real time to through the line-outs, but that seems wrong in this day and age. There has to be a software solution.

Thanks! Any info is good info!

nulldogmas:
As a Mac/Sound Studio user with the same frustration, I second this request!

heathen:
If I understand what you have in mind, I think this can be done with Audacity.  You can have the four individual tracks on the screen, and each track has its own slider bar for gain that you can adjust while you listen.

noahbickart:
All you need is a multitrack editor. Sound studio is really a stereo only editor. I use reaper, which is fairly inexpensive, and while the learning curve is steep, it is really powerful.

Others are able to do with ease what you want with Audacity, which is free.

nulldogmas:
Clearly I need to explore Audacity's functions more carefully. Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version