Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Small blip of increase in waveform amplitude, what's the cause and how to fix?

(1/5) > >>

ycoop:
This is totally inaudible before I apply amplification, after which there's a tiny snippet of clipping. Haven't managed to take care of it with a limiter without hearing a change. Any input?

ycoop:
Didn’t identify what caused this, but ultimately I split the stereo track, selected the section with the blip, and compressed it until it was in line with the rest of the waveform, merged split tracks back to a single track and then amplified to -1.0 dB. Still has a nearly inaudible little blip, but it satisfactorily fixed the issue.

bombdiggity:
That is likely a minor mic bump or slight cable pinch. 

Actually the best fix for something like that is in Audition (in Audition 3 : Effects > Restoration > Click/Pop Eliminator) just highlighting that tiny section of the left channel (a smaller area than the view you show).  That should make it disappear. 

rigpimp:
Warts and all...

If it is there and it really bugs you then fix it.  If you amplify and it is still barely audible then leave it in.

Just wait until you make a whole recording that is simply unlistenable.  Not trying to jinx you but we all do it at some point.  Its part of "the curve"

Shrug it off but test your cables and connections in the controlled environment of your home.

Easy fix: Zoom in an copy other channel
Moderate fix: Use on-board click control on your DAW software of choice
Expensive fix: Use expensive audio restoration software to perform click or spectral repair.

Good luck!

ycoop:
Just wait until you make a whole recording that is simply unlistenable.  Not trying to jinx you but we all do it at some point.  Its part of "the curve"

My first time out trying to record with a handheld recorder I ended up next to small table top fan that was being used to cool some equipment. During the acoustic portion of the show it made things nearly unlistenable. I ended up having to do major work in post that left severe artifacts. I give the surroundings a good hard look now to identify any sources of fan noise (and I ended up buying those Movo windscreens :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version